By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-Ray sales surging in Europe

dbot said:
I still don't understand why people would want Blu-ray to fail. Maybe we will have fewer Blu-ray is doomed threads now that it is clearly doing well. I am one of the 2 million people that have The Dark Knight on Blu-ray.

Because Sony is part of it.

Around the Network

But the blu-Rays failed.

DVD is dead.

ookaze said:
Even to people with big enough 1080p HDTV, BluRay is not the thing to get.
It's like the Wii: you have the price and you have a perceived value.
I know that to me, given the current BRD prices compared to DVD, BRD value is not at an advantage compared to DVD.
I bought only two things on BRD : Planet Earth because it was actually worth it (value vs price), and lastly Hero. At the same time I bought Hero BRD, for the same price, I couldn't resist but to buy a collection of 3 (or was it for 4) movies pack on DVD, in a beautiful pack, to add insult to injury.

BRD would be worth it if everything else (or at least price) would be equal. But as it's not the case...

You can get a BD player for as cheap as $199

and you can get BD movies from $14.99-$29.99

btw..

I see what you mean, but once people really see the difference, and they buy a nice HD TV, im sure they will jump to blu-ray, DVD looks mehish on my ps3 on an HD TV, and my ps3 upscales to 1080p..

mM
nordlead said:
woopah said:
masterb8tr said:
i dont even know how people can watch dvd's after seeing a good blu ray movie.

i dont even know why people spend money on blu ray movies. im probably biased seeing as im not really a technological person but i dont see the attraction. ive watched blu ray and yes when your first see it your thinking 'thats amazing' but after 10 minutes the wow factor is gone and i stop  being impressed

well, just buy a big enough TV, and it becomes quite obvious. Most people don't have a TV over 32", so there really is no benefit to Blu-Ray, however, if you have a big TV, then Blu-Ray is a must.

Or, if you are blind, then it doesn't make a difference.

Let's just say, I don't watch anything but HD content except for movies I can't get on Blu-Ray yet, and I couldn't imagine going back.

Wrong. Even on a 32" screen the difference between DVD and Blu Ray are extremely easy to see. Blu Ray is honestly on a different level.

It's great to see the sales doing so great. I knew Blu Ray was doing good, but I didn't think it was outselling DVD hardware in some places.

Around the Network
nordlead said:
konnichiwa said:
Comrade Tovya said:
I don't think it's a failure, but I know Sony was hoping for stronger 2008 numbers with HD DVDs demise.

With weaker than expected PS3 sales, and money problems to boot, Sony really needs Blu-ray to take off ASAP.

I'm a Blu-ray supporter myself, but I'm still on the fence on whether or not it will be the next standard. It's just too hard to know really.

I think if they could get the prices on movies down to that of standard DVDs very quickly, then it would wipe out DVD rather quickly. But, if they drag their feet for another year or two, I'm just not confident enough to declare BD the next format.

How do you know?

they admitted that they weren't doing as good as hoped.

Right.

I will try to find the link that states such...

Sony did believe that after HD DVD fell in January that the PS3 & BD player adoption rate would skyrocket, which of course hasn't happened.  There is some irony in the fact that by winning the HD format war, they may have very well thrown in the towel in the console war.

I'd have to assume that Sony thought this was a possibility prior to this happening?  Or did Sony literally assume that the format war victory would automatically give them the console victory as well?  I've seen both opinions really.

Then again, who could have really known that the world's economy would collapse overnight?

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

perpride said:
nordlead said:
woopah said:
masterb8tr said:

i dont even know why people spend money on blu ray movies. im probably biased seeing as im not really a technological person but i dont see the attraction. ive watched blu ray and yes when your first see it your thinking 'thats amazing' but after 10 minutes the wow factor is gone and i stop  being impressed

well, just buy a big enough TV, and it becomes quite obvious. Most people don't have a TV over 32", so there really is no benefit to Blu-Ray, however, if you have a big TV, then Blu-Ray is a must.

Let's just say, I don't watch anything but HD content except for movies I can't get on Blu-Ray yet, and I couldn't imagine going back.

Wrong. Even on a 32" screen the difference between DVD and Blu Ray are extremely easy to see. Blu Ray is honestly on a different level.

It's great to see the sales doing so great. I knew Blu Ray was doing good, but I didn't think it was outselling DVD hardware in some places.

No actually, you are wrong.

The difference on a sub-32" is VERY small to the average consumer.  I can tell the difference, but I'm in minority as a videophile.

The average consumer on the other hand really can't see that big of a difference at that viewing level.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:
perpride said:
nordlead said:
woopah said:
masterb8tr said:

No actually, you are wrong.

The difference on a sub-32" is VERY small to the average consumer.  I can tell the difference, but I'm in minority as a videophile.

The average consumer on the other hand really can't see that big of a difference at that viewing level.

32" is about the minimum size you can go to get a decent benefit from 720P. any smaller than that, and a good upscaling DVD will look about as good. Some people may be able to notice a difference, but on average people wouldn't know the difference.

either that, or you need to be sitting extremely close (1ft), which most people will sit at minimum 4ft (which would be very cramped) away from their TV.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Yea I really have to disagree.. I have dark night, my tv is exactly 32", there is a HUGE difference between upscaled and blu-ray.

mM

Which is a weird statement, since the size of the screen has not much to do with the question if you can see a difference between BluRay or DVD.

Screensize / distance or viewing angle is the only relevant factor here. In other words the smaller your screen, the nearer you have to sit to it to see the difference. In many cases people cannot change the living room but if you can sit directly before it you can get cinematic feeling with a 32" TV, and up close EVERYBODY can see the difference although people will notice it less in some movies and more in others (Nature, animations, ... ) Besides 720p has advantages even at modest viewing angles. 1080p may be a bit overkill unless you have a huge television or sit very near to it. (there was a chart once)

Is it worth it? Depends on the price of the discs and the movie type. I would kill for a Lord of the Rings BluRay edition. But I wouldn't pay 30E for anything else.