By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-Ray sales surging in Europe

Do you people actually watch both versions of these films? I see a lot saying, I have Dark Knight on Blu-Ray and the difference between HD and SD on my 32" TV is SO CLEAR! Well, have you actually watched the Dark Knight in SD to compare? Also, the major argument these days is between upscaled DVD and Blu-Ray. On a 32" TV, my PS3 will upscale the image to 720p of any DVD and it will look almost exactly like HD. Also, if you are sitting farther than 6 feet from your TV, which is normal, the difference is much less noticeable.

So for the average consumer that just bought an HDTV, they will likely shy away from the $200 purchase of a BD player, and settle for a good upscaled DVD image.

Plus, I have to agree with others, comparing BD player sales including PS3 against DVD player sales including PS2 and not Xbox 360 is kind of stupid. DVD tech is so old and market saturated. Comparing BD player sales to a 10 year old technology and is only 5x more..... Plus with 360 sales added, the difference is probably closer to 2x more..... and the article didn't include any overall disc sales comparisons as I'm sure overall DVD's outsold Blu-Rays by more than 5x.