By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think a PS3 FFVII remake would outsell FFXIII?

CGI-Quality said:
@ Swoosh

O Rly..... Then explain all the PSP FF exclusives, FFXIII being exclusive to PS3 in Japan, and FF Versus XIII being a WORLDWIDE PS3 exclusive.

a) It is silly to ignore portables in Japan; just plain silly.

b) Probably a Sony-SE money involving agreement .

c) Want to count Xbox360 SE exclusives? And it hasn't been finalized as a PS3 exclusive yet; they just haven't announced any other platforms as of yet. Probably won't.

Around the Network

No doubt a FFVII remake would sell very well, but there's one issue: most people already have played FFVII and therefore know the story, which is the main thing about JRPGs. I don't think half of the people that played it will buy the game again to replay it with better graphics. I mean it's 80 hours or so.

That there's lot of hype for it on forums like this is understandable; it's one of the best games ever and the graphics are very meh nowadays. That doesn't mean that the wider audience is eagerly awaiting a remake.

Still it would definitely sell 5 million at least if on a platform with significant userbase.

Past trends indicate that no, no it would not. It would not even come close.

It might stand a better chance on the DS or PSP or Wii, but no, it absolutely one hundred percent would not make it. If it made 30% of the sales of the original it would be a miracle.

@Swoosh

Kingdom Hearts on Wii equals EPIC FAIL! I would be utterly repulsed and would shun it for life. I dont want wonky Wii controls in my awesome KH action!

And the only reason to even do a FFVII remake would be to amend the ties broken when FFXIII went MP. Making FFVII multiplat makes all of it pointless really. Then Sony can finally prove that their games can sell extremely well on their system alone.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Khuutra said:
Past trends indicate that no, no it would not. It would not even come close.

It might stand a better chance on the DS or PSP or Wii, but no, it absolutely one hundred percent would not make it. If it made 30% of the sales of the original it would be a miracle.

It would sell 5+ million on the Wii worldwide I think pretty easy. 

RE4: Wii Edition is a straight port of a GameCube released just a couple of years before and that sold like what? 1.5 million? Not a direct analogy but maybe some context there. 

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:
leo-j said:
Well I cant think of any console remakes..

FF VII would surely sell more than 2.5million, it has a huge fanbase.

Truth to be told, I don't know a lot about the pre-Ps2 Final Fantasies. I'll leave it to someone else to analyse how much it will sell.

My point was, remakes don't outsell new iterations.

This remake would outsell Wii even if the install base of the PS3 is smaller. I'll buy a million copies myself.

forevercloud3000 said:
@Swoosh

Kingdom Hearts on Wii equals EPIC FAIL! I would be utterly repulsed and would shun it for life. I dont want wonky Wii controls in my awesome KH action!

And the only reason to even do a FFVII remake would be to amend the ties broken when FFXIII went MP. Making FFVII multiplat makes all of it pointless really. Then Sony can finally prove that their games can sell extremely well on their system alone.

Being a Wii game means tacked-on waggle eh? So 2007.

forevercloud3000 said:
@Swoosh

I'm going to ignore your tirade about KH on the Wii and point out that the idea of a FFVII remake beingu sed to heal the hurt given to Sony is ridiculous. The idea is ridiculous in principle, it would be ridiculous in practice, and it tastes ridiculous in my mouth, like the meat cut from a clown's buttock.

@Swoosh2000: Well, I can see that happening, sure. Though I think its launch relative to DQX would also be important: if it comes afterwards and has the Japan DQ installbase, it stands a much better chance. I meant to say that I expect 3 million sales to be an upper limit on a remake for the game on the PS3.

And Oyvoyvoyv is right. If FFVII Remade outsold FFXIII, it would mean horrible things are happening to the franchise.

Khuutra said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@Swoosh

I'm going to ignore your tirade about KH on the Wii and point out that the idea of a FFVII remake beingu sed to heal the hurt given to Sony is ridiculous. The idea is ridiculous in principle, it would be ridiculous in practice, and it tastes ridiculous in my mouth, like the meat cut from a clown's buttock.

@Swoosh2000: Well, I can see that happening, sure. Though I think its launch relative to DQX would also be important: if it comes afterwards and has the Japan DQ installbase, it stands a much better chance. I meant to say that I expect 3 million sales to be an upper limit on a remake for the game on the PS3.

And Oyvoyvoyv is right. If FFVII Remade outsold FFXIII, it would mean horrible things are happening to the franchise.

I suspect Square-Enix will make a Dragon Quest VII Remake on the Wii prior to DQX's release, just like the PSOne/PS2/DS all got DQ remakes in addition to the main course new DQ. 

Something like that could happen even next year. Also DQVIII to Wii would be an easy port as well, we'll have to see. 

I think though the Dragon Quest audience (which is the core RPG gamer) will start migrating over to the Wii before the release of DQX for sure. That should help other RPGs on the system too, like Namco's Tales RPG for Wii. 

@Swoosh2000: Agreed. It's one of the reasons I'm waiting to see where the next round of remakes goes: if FFV hits on the DS it's back to business as usual, but if it lands on the Wii with the Crystal Tools engine (or whatever it's called) it's going to be indicative of a whole new ballgame.