By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think a PS3 FFVII remake would outsell FFXIII?

It depends what is added during the remake. The PS3 can play PS1 games, so unless there are improvements then there should be no reason for it to sell a single copy

Around the Network
ChichiriMuyo said:
AceRock said:
No way it would outsell it, most of Final Fantasy VII's original buyers have grown up and moved away from gaming I am guessing. I am saying it wouldn't set the world on fire like it did the first time. I know it is hard to believe when all you read are online gamesites like this, but you are reading comments and chatting with the only people who would more than likely still buy it. I would be on the buying side guaranteed.

The average gamer is somehting liek 33 years old.  The idea that people grow up and move past gaming died a decade ago.  If a person was in their 20's when they played it the first time, they are still well within the average gamer age and if they were in their mid-teens then they are still in the biggest, most lucrative demographic gaming has.  Plus, the game is 11 years old already, and there are bound to be millions of gamers who never played it but might want to give it a try just to see what the fuss is about.  Not all will buy new copies, of course, but those people exist.  It's not like the gameplay and story aren't going to be as good as the first time, so it has a lot of merits to sell by.

Including PC gamers.... who play Slingo on Pogo... and online Bridge... etc.

Hell are you guys talking about? im jaming the game right now! its made of awesome-sauce!

Wouldnt there be a better chance of this making to DS? Much lower dev costs, and possibly even more units sold.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

No, it wouldnt. Fans of FFVII want to believe it would, but hardcore crowd doesnt make a big differense in sales, masses do. And for majority of gamers this would be just a remake of some old japanese RPG game with outdated gameplay mechanics. And no matter how you market such a title you wont bring many new people to play it.

I believe FFVII remake would sell 1/2 of what FFXIII will, and 70-80% of these sales would come from Japan.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
AceRock said:
No way it would outsell it, most of Final Fantasy VII's original buyers have grown up and moved away from gaming I am guessing. I am saying it wouldn't set the world on fire like it did the first time. I know it is hard to believe when all you read are online gamesites like this, but you are reading comments and chatting with the only people who would more than likely still buy it. I would be on the buying side guaranteed.

The average gamer is somehting liek 33 years old.  The idea that people grow up and move past gaming died a decade ago.  If a person was in their 20's when they played it the first time, they are still well within the average gamer age and if they were in their mid-teens then they are still in the biggest, most lucrative demographic gaming has.  Plus, the game is 11 years old already, and there are bound to be millions of gamers who never played it but might want to give it a try just to see what the fuss is about.  Not all will buy new copies, of course, but those people exist.  It's not like the gameplay and story aren't going to be as good as the first time, so it has a lot of merits to sell by.

Including PC gamers.... who play Slingo on Pogo... and online Bridge... etc.

First, the point was that people keep playing games later in life now than they used to.  There's no stigma against adults who do it. 

Second, the reason why they play simpler games like you mentioned has to do with the amount of time they have.  A person in their mid-30's usually doesn't have time for a lot of gaming, but if it were worth the time they'd do it.  So while I don't play RPG after RPG like I used to, in fact I haven't gotten more than a few hours into any for a couple of years, I would certainly make time to play one that I knew would be good from beginning to end.  Like, you know, FF7.

Third, even after all this time the average FF7 player is still going to be well under 30.  You know the people who spend the most time and money on games?  Those FF7 fans are the people in the prime demographic right now.  The FF7 fans are one of the biggest reasons why KH is the huge success it is, and it's even aiming lower than the FF7 demo.   So not only are most FF7 still playing games, they are putting more money into gaming than average. 

I think that's a damn fine group to target a game towards.  People who love gaming and still spend plenty of time and money doing it.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

You guys are really doubting How much love FF7 has garnered over the years. I mean it seemed like it was being slowly forgotten but then Kingdom Hearts brought alot of interest in it especially when You fought Sephiroth and I know a lot of people were like WHO THE FUCK IS THAT. Not to mention the increase of popularity that was seen when Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core released and Im willing to bet that with the release of Dissidia many people are going to be interested in the older characters of Final Fantasy oh and I forgot Advent Children which just really proves that this game has a very strong following

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

I know, that is why Crisis Core is soon approaching lifetime sales of Final Fantasy VII. Dirge of Cerberus too.

AceRock owns one PS3, one PS Vita, and one PS4.

if done right yea.... there is magic for alot of gamers in that game

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Oyvoyvoyv said:

Would it be exclusive? If yes, I believe that is a large pro.

Still, remakes don't sell that much. FFXIII on Ps3 is going to sell what? 3 million? 4 million? That's a lot.

A FF7 remake would probably be large (ala 1.5-2M), but it simply cannot match a completely new game, no matter how much advertisement and such it would get.

As a general note, remakes don't outsell new installments. That (almost) never happens. If it happened with Final Fantasy, there would be something seriously wrong happening to the series.

I dont think a game with such a fallowing has ever had a true remake... id say it does better then FFVIII just because people loved the story, it would be on my list of games that id eventually buy a ps3 for.. though i feel a remake should be mutiplat ....  this game much like mario 3 has a special place in the world of gaming

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog