By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
zleep said:
Stop believing that, cause it will never happen. Nintendo is alright as it is now, they even sold RARE, why do you think they would be buying factor 5. They couldnt care less about 1 projetc and wont buy a company for 1 game. Just forget it.

1 project no, future developement of exclusives yes.

They sold Rare because all the talent left the company and ironically formed free radicals.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
zleep said:
Stop believing that, cause it will never happen. Nintendo is alright as it is now, they even sold RARE, why do you think they would be buying factor 5. They couldnt care less about 1 projetc and wont buy a company for 1 game. Just forget it.

1 project no, future developement of exclusives yes.

They sold Rare because all the talent left the company and ironically formed free radicals.

Awesome reply, really you win this thread for that, I wished I had thought to remember that.  But yeah Factor 5 has a gold mine of talent, the reason they sold RARE was because they had no use for RARE if the talent quits what's the point?  If Retro doesn't do much in the coming years it could be the same fate for them, the head guys left to make their own company that will now be published by EA, I hope they can do well in the down economic times.  But Factor 5 is ripe for the taking good talented guys that know how to make the Nintendo console look the best it possibly can much like they did with the Rouge Squadron games. 

On the note of RARE, I mean really the big talent left then the other guys went to MS where they didn't do jack until Conkers Bad Fur Day on Xbox which was just a remake, then Perfect Dark Zero which was bad... and not very "next gen" like it was supposed to be... then you get B&K:N&B which is nothing like what people expected and not that great either, so the guys at RARE got paid for doing nothing/making average games at best by Mircosoft, I mean the RARE guys got a great deal, Nintendo made a smart choice by dropping RARE and MS has yet to get something worthwhile from it lol.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Xen said:
Roma said:
And damn does Sony know how to kill companies, this is the second supporter… well good bye guys…

Release shite, and the end result shall be shite for you as well.

say that to the endless shovelware on the Wii

The_EE_God said:
Xen said:
Roma said:
And damn does Sony know how to kill companies, this is the second supporter… well good bye guys…

Release shite, and the end result shall be shite for you as well.

say that to the endless shovelware on the Wii

AWESOME FIRST POST!!!

hanafuda said:
shams said:
This sounds... "odd". If it was 100% true, we would hear some form of official statement by now.

In general, any developer currently making a game for a publisher will *not* go out of business. That is unless:

1/ They have huge debts anyway

2/ The development contract gets canceled (late delivery?)

3/ The publisher(s) in question go out of business.

If F5 were "actually" making a Kid Icarus game - and for Nintendo - its very, very unlikely they will close their doors. Unless Ninty pulls the contract.

Either way, F5 was pretty crap to be honest. I was shocked at the lack of progress in their "flight engine" games from the N64 shooter... all the way up to Lair. I don't know the key figures at the studio, but there must have been some mediocre developers and management in there - maybe backed by a couple of good, technical guys.

This is a positive really - the good people will get jobs at other studios, the lamers... can leave the industry forever (hopefully).

I was much more disappointed by the demise of Free Radical - basically due to a publisher dying.

People had better hope that Sony (or EA) *never* pulls out of game dev - if they do, you could see 10+ studios going down in a single week.

Well put. Which publisher killed Free Radical? I've not been following it...

Brash, wasn't it? Unless I have Free Radical mixed up with some other studio(s)?

These are just the start of ripple effects - wait until Feb/March, and you'll see the real effects from the subprime crisis flow through to the industry. Everyone is holding out until Xmas is over, and then will re-evaluate projects and studios.

And yeah... thinking this has anything to do with the "PS3" is ridiculous. Its mainly about a shoddy developer, rather than anything else...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:
hanafuda said:
shams said:
This sounds... "odd". If it was 100% true, we would hear some form of official statement by now.

In general, any developer currently making a game for a publisher will *not* go out of business. That is unless:

1/ They have huge debts anyway

2/ The development contract gets canceled (late delivery?)

3/ The publisher(s) in question go out of business.

If F5 were "actually" making a Kid Icarus game - and for Nintendo - its very, very unlikely they will close their doors. Unless Ninty pulls the contract.

Either way, F5 was pretty crap to be honest. I was shocked at the lack of progress in their "flight engine" games from the N64 shooter... all the way up to Lair. I don't know the key figures at the studio, but there must have been some mediocre developers and management in there - maybe backed by a couple of good, technical guys.

This is a positive really - the good people will get jobs at other studios, the lamers... can leave the industry forever (hopefully).

I was much more disappointed by the demise of Free Radical - basically due to a publisher dying.

People had better hope that Sony (or EA) *never* pulls out of game dev - if they do, you could see 10+ studios going down in a single week.

Brash, wasn't it? Unless I have Free Radical mixed up with some other studio(s)?

These are just the start of ripple effects - wait until Feb/March, and you'll see the real effects from the subprime crisis flow through to the industry. Everyone is holding out until Xmas is over, and then will re-evaluate projects and studios.

And yeah... thinking this has anything to do with the "PS3" is ridiculous. Its mainly about a shoddy developer, rather than anything else...

Free Radical isn't a shody developer just had a goof on a game that took a huge budget then you factor in the econimic crisis and you have a good developer in the tube... sad really...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
shams said:
hanafuda said:
shams said:

Free Radical isn't a shody developer just had a goof on a game that took a huge budget then you factor in the econimic crisis and you have a good developer in the tube... sad really...

The shoddy developer being F5 of course, not Free Radical ;) Just wanted to make that clear...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
shams said:
hanafuda said:
shams said:

The shoddy developer being F5 of course, not Free Radical ;) Just wanted to make that clear...

O= Aside from Lair that statement is blasphemy!  The 3 Rouge Squadron games are some of the best Star Wars games ever made, then they have one of the best teams when it comes to getting the most out of a system, except for Lair again, but then again I think that was mostly due to deadlines and budget issues...

Lair and Haze were IMO decent games, they are often brought forward as being some of the worst PS3 shovel ware around. IMO that's not the case at all, I think there have been various 360 to PS3 ports which are well worse but maybe scored better because they already received good scores on the 360 orginally.

I think due to these games being picked on a lot on internet forums, mostly by people who never actually played them through, has hurt the reputation of these developers and so it's difficult to continue their work (find publishers, get funding, etc).

Lair has its wow moments, but lacks polishment overall, I greatly prefer its motion control but it was a mistake to not have this optional when the game launched. Haze is overall pretty fun, but now there are much better games out covering the shooter genre on the PS3.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MS not actually interested in Factor 5, nor Nintendo, Factor 5 hyping PS3 to the roof.

almost like when Ken K, said : dual HDMI, and 120 FPS games, and only PS3 can do 4D.

also remember High development cost on Ps3,
to Bad for Factor 5.