By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did Best Buy Overstock GH/RB full kits?

I was in two different Best Buys today, and there were various Guitar Hero/Rock Band kits literally all over the store. Including in places that had nothing to do with console sales (like music stuff, DVDs, etc.) just crammed any place the store had extra retail room. And there were some massive pyramids as well in the middle of empty floor space - right next to the mountain of PS3s and 360s.

I think retailers expected Guitar Hero to be a golden calf that would never stop selling... unquestionable that a lot of stores are ridiculously overstocked. Poor Gamestop had so many kits crammed up against the front window, you could barely see into the store. World Tour hasn't sold nearly as well as GT III did either, although that's what Activision gets for jacking the price up so high and releasing 5 different Guitar Hero games in barely two years.

When the expenses come home to roost, someone's going to be in serious pain.

EDIT: Oh, and a product always sells "no matter what" until it doesn't. Try telling that to Activision's great cash cow of a decade ago, the Tony Hawk series.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Same at my gamestop. So many. Most of them Wii. We get at least triple the shipment of GH: WT of Wii versions than that of the 360 and PS3 ones. Just crazy.

FishyJoe said:
coasterlove said:
It doesn't matter if they don't sell right away, they will sell no matter what. If not, they'll lower the price slightly to get rid of stock. Problem solved.

This isssue is how much it will cost. If it takes up floor space for weeks or months and they have to discount, it could lose money for the retailer.

Obviously, I haven't seen the particular store you shop at but the one by me also has the huge music mountain. Most of it is being displayed in space that usually is empty anyway. So while it is taking up a lot of space, it wasn't space that was used for anything else most times. And I think they will sell the majority of them at regular price, maybe 60% or more with another 20% at a small sale price of $20 off or something. The rest might need to be cleared out at big savings. That wouldn't be too different from numerous other games. It's likely they're not selling as much as they and other stores would like but I'm sure most are still making a decent profit on it.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

Zucas said:
Same at my gamestop. So many. Most of them Wii. We get at least triple the shipment of GH: WT of Wii versions than that of the 360 and PS3 ones. Just crazy.

but does it sell? or is it just lying around like PS360 versions?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

It's the same thing in the store I usually visit. There's literally a mountain of Guitar Hero boxes (for all platforms but mostly Wii I think) stacked up in front of the PC games. It reaches the ceiling of the store (three or four meters high).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957