By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could FFXIII break 1 million first week in Japan?

Probably. FF games always do. I doubt it'll push many extra console sales, though: FF fans got impatient and started buying PS3s a long time ago.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

Sigh... and my post goes ignored. Why do I even bother putting sales info up, I wonder... apparently it doesn't mean anything.

To the doubters: once again, take a look at this http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1573196

Okay, last post, I promise, even if people continue with "LOL INSTALL BASE."

S.T.A.G.E. said:
XanderZane said:

Don't know if it'll sell over 1 million it's first week, but it will definitely sell over 1 million copies on the PS3 in Japan within a few weeks I would think.  If it doesn't, Sony is in trouble.

It will most likely sell 300,000k-500,000 in the first two weeks given the current installed base in Japan. Why do Sony fans put so much faith in Japan when the west has far larger sales? I don't even care if its exclusive  in Japan. It still makes no sense. Japan will not carry any sales that count this gen.

Would you like to make a bet?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

So S.T.A.G.E. expects Final Fantasy 13 to do around the same numbers (if not less) than Metal Gear Solid 4? That's a bet he's bound to lose.

S.T.A.G.E really is a clueless little man, I don't usually label people as fanboys but boy does he have a distaste for the PS3. Him and that other guy called Neoraf, that guy really takes it to another level.

Around the Network

MGS4 is the game which really makes me think FFXIII can break 1 million first week in Japan with utter ease. That one hit 450k first week in Japan and does not have nearly as much of the worldwide appeal which a FF game has. Install base does not matter much but easily another million PS3 sales in Japan should happen within a year with games like SF4, RE5 and Yazuza 3 releasing.

I dont usually care for game sales but FFXIII, Versus and GT5 are 3 games which I hope do very well, so much time and effort go into those games. I will buy those 3 so devs get my money, everything else nothing but a rental. :D

1 million first week would be a disaster for the series. Anything less than 1.5m would, actually.

If PS3's install base will not be big enough to support the game's launch by the end of 09 then I think Square-Enix should delay the release.

Kasz216 said:

If it only broke 1 million first week it'd be a giant disappointment.

It should be well over 1.5 Mil.

FF13 should hit 3 million in japan when all is said and done.

one million first week - yes.

three million life time - highly unlikely

On the other hand, DQX would break 3 mil.

Off Topic: we'll see if DQ is bigger than Pokemon when DQ9 is released on DS next year. Pokemon is only good on portables and DQ dominates on home consoles.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Rei said:
1 million first week would be a disaster for the series. Anything less than 1.5m would, actually.

If PS3's install base will not be big enough to support the game's launch by the end of 09 then I think Square-Enix should delay the release.

Maybe Sony are also holding back there big first party game GT5 until install base increases as well.

Rei said:

lol, I think they already have.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.