By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kudos to the PSP

The PSP is the first bit of competition the Nintendo handhelds have ever got. For years Nintendo has dominated the handheld market and technically still is, but the PSP has done really well with 41 million sold to date. I don't know about you guys but I consider that a success.

So this thread is all about giving the PSP alittle love, no negative comments please. Here's a list of top handheld I got from wikipedia showing how well the PSP has done going up against a Nintendo handheld.

Edit: Here's the number's of how much the PSP has sold each year its been out:

Year
Units Sold
2004-2005 351,453
2005-2006 9,435,217
2006-2007 8,839,850
2007-2008 11,540,067
2008 -  ending Dec 13 11,458,359

And as you can see from this list the PSP has done extremely well considering the second closest is the Game Gear with 11 million sold. (Again it's wikipedia so the numbers are not 100% accurate)

Manufacturer   Platform   Released   Units sold  
Nintendo Game Boy and Game Boy Color 1989 and 1998 118.69 million
Nintendo Nintendo DS 2004 92.47 million
Nintendo Game Boy Advance 2001 81.36 million
Sony PlayStation Portable 2004 41.62 million
Sega Game Gear 1990 11 million
Nokia N-Gage 2003 3 million
SNK Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Color 1998 and 1999 2 million
NEC TurboExpress 1990 1.5 million
Sega Nomad 1995

1 million

Around the Network

It's a shame that the good dev companies like Ready at Dawn (God of War for the PSP) are abandoning the PSP now.

As much I don't care for psp and majority of its games, I have to congratulate it.

Also sucess shouldn't be measured by unit sales alone, it should be measured by profit as well, and if the psp made a good profit grats to them

TheBigFatJ said:
It's a shame that the good dev companies like Ready at Dawn (God of War for the PSP) are abandoning the PSP now.

Actually, they are considering the return to PSP fold - http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21530

As for the PSP, it's a great handheld, and with a great JP line-up for 09, it's going to get even better. Kudos!

A lot of amazing psp games didn't reach the USA , and that is maybe why the PSP doesn't do well now.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:

RAD is considering to start making PSP games again ^^ And well it seems PSP has a chance to beat GBA lifetime sales ^^ Not bad :)

PSP did good. However I think Sony expected a lot more from their handheld.

Think for yourself, question authority

I hope that the psp will reach the 60M! Would be really really nice for a first try. BTW, I didn't know that the game gear sold so well, it's still a flop, but not a major one!

Star Scream said:
TheBigFatJ said:

Actually, they are considering the return to PSP fold - http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21530

As for the PSP, it's a great handheld, and with a great JP line-up for 09, it's going to get even better. Kudos!

They were joking.

"Maybe we should reconsider this whole ‘no more PSP games’ thing because we seem to be doing pretty good at it." 

They're bringing to light the fact that they were in the top PSP games.

If they were serious about developing on the PSP again, they wouldn't say, "hey maybe we should rethink this because we're good at it."  They'd have internal discussions.

I love my PSP, in fact I love it so much I bought two of them lol.