By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to Buy Rockstar

GTA series is becoming pretty irrelevant and boring. Halo 3 would have outsold it by a mile had it released this year. That was obvious. No doubt Halo is a much bigger series. Gears of War 2 would be a bigger seller also.

Also this rumor is obviously not true. GTA cant be Sony exclusive without losing most of it's sales since 360 is the dominant console in NA and Europe and Japan doesn't buy GTA.

But I'm just saying, even if Sony gained GTA exclusive, it wouldn't matter much.

BTW this thread title is pretty misleading since it's obviously not even much of a rumor from a small PS3 fansite. 

Around the Network

It would be a HUGE deal if this is true. It would sell consoles in the long run and be something that Sony would profit from greatly. GTA is one of the most popular series in recent years and would move the PS3. If it was just GTA4(which I think they would be contractuallly obligated to finish the game for the 360 as well as the DLC) I don't think it would push an additional 10-12 million units in a short amount of time. But it would get one heck of a bump, moreso then a Halo 3 would have on the 360.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:
It would be a HUGE deal if this is true. It would sell consoles in the long run and be something that Sony would profit from greatly. GTA is one of the most popular series in recent years and would move the PS3. If it was just GTA4(which I think they would be contractuallly obligated to finish the game for the 360 as well as the DLC) I don't think it would push an additional 10-12 million units in a short amount of time. But it would get one heck of a bump, moreso then a Halo 3 would have on the 360.

GTA is getting kind of ho-hum. The first one on this gen (GTA4)will attract some attention with new graphics on the move to new machines, but GTA5 would just be more of the same and since they would have roughly the same gfx, people wouldn't be that excited. GTA was already losing steam before with GTA Vice City,  Liberty City bla blah blah, each one selling less than before.

Also no use discussing this as it's not true, obviously. 

not happening.

1. without rockstar, take two as a company is close to worthless. letting rockstar go essentially means take two is liquidating, which is absolutely not the case.

2. most publishers derive a significant amount of revenue from multiple platforms; that's why going single platform essentially means something like halving the revenue stream. that means sony would have to grossly overpay for the business in relation to its future revenue stream.

3. if it makes business sense to sony, it would make business sense to microsoft, and microsoft will surely outbid sony. in fact, microsoft was mentioned as a potential suitor for take-two when its troubles surfaced earlier this year. if nothing happened then, nothing is dramatically different now.

the Wii is an epidemic.

leo-j said:
rasone77 said:

If this is true, expect Rockstars profit to shrink (at least short term) unless Sony pays most of their Dev ocsts that is or not all the games become sony exclusives.

I still believe Sony has a chance when/if blue ray wins the format war.

Are you krazy?

A GTA game on the ps systems exclusive will WILL move hardware easily tripiling sales. Your lucky this is a forum you pissed me off, I would go raging with mad words on you. What rockstar game sold bad on a ps console?

Ok, I've never bought a GTA, haven't been interested.  But I just did a quick search on vgchartz here.  So GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas on the PS2 both sold over 14 million.  How could rasone77 be wrong in saying Rockstar's profits would shrink?  At max, their games would sell 4 million right now if EVERY PS3 owner bought their game.

I think the deal would be a bad idea for Rockstar, if Sony isn't throwing something extra in.  At least short term, just like rasone77 said.  But if this goes through, it sure will be a good deal for Sony. 

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

Our mentally challenged free lancer put this story up. The guy who wrote this works for Vivendi Games which should tell you right there that he is an idiot. Vivendi is one of the worst devs there is. There best games are worse then EA's worst games.

R* wont comment if this is trust or not anyways. I dont even believe it, I'd more or less believe Sony payed R*/Take Two for exclusives not buying the whole company.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

leo-j said:
robjoh said:
roadkillers said:
In my opinion I think Sony should just buy Take-Two. Then they would also get the Elder Scrolls games. Anyways how did Take-Two lose so much money?

Bad games with to high budgett. Latly it is more or less only Rockstar that have shown some serious profit.

@Topic

I don't now about this:

I think it could save T-2 and give them enough money to reconstuct the rest of their buisness but it sound strange. The GTA4 deal with Microsoft shows that T-2 have the power to sell exclusive games from Rockstar and get them funded by the company of choice.

NOTE this is a question or speculation I don't want to flame!

Can it be that we actualy is reading to much into this? Is it simply so that Sony is paying rockstar for making a game for them, it will most possible be great even if it isn't a "GTA" so why not? That could be a way for T-2 to fund Rockstar (and they need a big budgett) meanwhile the get their finances going in the right direction.

Of course T-2 would get a lot for Rockstar, Micsrosoft wouldn't let Sony get it to cheap meaning that a full blown bidding could be happening behind the curtains.

@Leo-j

You don't need to be so angry, I think rasone77 just meant that you can't sell 15 million GTA on a 4 million userbase.

Yes I understand, but GTA moves hardware FAST on its own. You have GTA 4 exclusive on any console hardware jumps fast. We can see GTA 4 force a 15 million install base to develop rapidly.

Well honestly I don't see 11 million people buying a PS3 for GTA4 alone, ohh it will cleraly sell a lot of PS3:s but 11 millions? Thats a lot. Of course I can be wrong so no need to throw shit at each others and write angry message at each other just because we disagree right.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Hawk said:
leo-j said:
rasone77 said:

If this is true, expect Rockstars profit to shrink (at least short term) unless Sony pays most of their Dev ocsts that is or not all the games become sony exclusives.

Are you krazy?

A GTA game on the ps systems exclusive will WILL move hardware easily tripiling sales. Your lucky this is a forum you pissed me off, I would go raging with mad words on you. What rockstar game sold bad on a ps console?

Ok, I've never bought a GTA, haven't been interested.  But I just did a quick search on vgchartz here.  So GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas on the PS2 both sold over 14 million.  How could rasone77 be wrong in saying Rockstar's profits would shrink?  At max, their games would sell 4 million right now if EVERY PS3 owner bought their game.

I think the deal would be a bad idea for Rockstar, if Sony isn't throwing something extra in.  At least short term, just like rasone77 said.  But if this goes through, it sure will be a good deal for Sony. 

but the 14million was with a userbase of 100million easy. that is what ten percent? if that so if they had exclusive rights to GTA4 it would sell maybe 900k if rockstar lets sony buy them it will be a big big big mistake cause look at the multiplateform games beng released soon and the money they will make from it.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Hawk said:
leo-j said:
rasone77 said:

Are you krazy?

Of course there profit would shrink if they were not gunna do it on the 360 (its common sense) but thats not to say it cant sell more then 15 million copy's. GTA games have that lasting apeal. If GTA4 were released on the PS3 only then I would expect sales of the PS3 (just in America) to jump in the millions for that month.

GTA is a hit around the world. Its biggest in Europe, then US, and it sells pretty decent in Japan (look at GTA:SA and GTA:LCS). If GTA were released I would expect worldwide console sales of the PS3 to be in the 3 million range. GTA is that popular.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Crap. That means no future Wii rockstar games. I kinda like R* too. Well, this will definately help PS3 in the next few years, so long as the developers stay and don't jump ship to make new companies. That seems to happen a lot when one is bought out.