By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii LTD sales ever top DS LTD sales?

Qly said:

Yeah, console revisions do sell a lot, but: can't the wii get one? I don't see what they could do it's already quite small and nice

You could argue that new input devices like the balance board and Wii Motion Plus are hardware revisions, since they expand the capability of the original hardware. Adding features through peripherals isn't so different from adding features with a console revision.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Because the DS is selling like it is this late in it's life(but we are only starting the 5th year now, this hasn't been the 5th year). And like someone else said, the DSi hasn't even released yet. I see the DS selling like this as long as 2011, and I think it'll slow down the same time Wii will start to slow down. 2011.

It has a 10 million lead on DS for this point in its' life--I'd say it has a chance.

The interesting thing is that the Wii and the DS are following exactly the same path, but it's taking a bit longer for Wii because consoles are a 'bigger deal' in general.

-Both have always sold phenomenally
-Both had large droughts of quality software at the beginning (around a year for the DS, and it looks like Wii's will be slightly longer than two years), followed by tons of third-party support and lots of hits.
-Big third-party franchises have been pulled from other places to land on them, like Dragon Quest IX and X and Monster Hunter Tri
-While both did have one huge core Nintendo game at launch (Mario 64 DS/Zelda: Twilight Princess), both originally targetted more casual gamers (with Brain Age/Nintendogs/Wii Sports/Wii Fit) and then started getting tons of third-party support.

If this continues, Wii will not only be dominant saleswise, but the dominant console for quality games. Sure, you just chuckled a bit and called me a fanboy in your mind as you started reading this sentence, but just look at next year's list and the massive improvement from this year. Do you honestly think quality is going to drop back down?

The difference between the Wii and the DS' situation is that the Wii has competition that can sell some serious software. However, with the major costs of HD development becoming too much to bear (R.I.P. Midway, Free Radical, and Factor 5), new (currently-unannounced) efforts are surely going to be more focussed on the Wii very soon. It won't be extremely lopsided, as the DS' main competition sells hardly any software, but it'll be memorable indeed.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
famousringo said:
Qly said:

Yeah, console revisions do sell a lot, but: can't the wii get one? I don't see what they could do it's already quite small and nice

You could argue that new input devices like the balance board and Wii Motion Plus are hardware revisions, since they expand the capability of the original hardware. Adding features through peripherals isn't so different from adding features with a console revision.

Mmmm, I mean console revisions like slim ps2 or not horrendous psone, like gb pocket etc, but you are right, it is similar, I prefer them to keep the functionalities on the console the same, perhaps tweak the looks, add functionalities through peripherials.. it's more fair with the costumer...

Listen to the voice of reason, then do as I say.

DS will come out on top and I don't even think it's going to be close. Wiis would probably be 1 per house hold DS would be owned be the dad, the wife, the kids so can be as many as 5 per household. Plus 1 of those 5 would own ds phat, ds lite and dsi.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
famousringo said:
Qly said:

He has a point, though. Nintendo could turn the Wii into the next iPod, if they wanted to, just releasing new hardware revisions without ever changing the name. Then where would we be? I ask you!

It depends really. I think if the Wii is on sale longer by about a year or two then yes. Still, the main thing is both have been so successful.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Khuutra said:
famousringo said:
Qly said:

He has a point, though. Nintendo could turn the Wii into the next iPod, if they wanted to, just releasing new hardware revisions without ever changing the name. Then where would we be? I ask you!

Mmmm, would they really count as a single machine though? i mean would you add wii 2nd generation which supports HD as sales of wii?? GBA doesn't add up to GB sales right? backwards and forwards compatibility must be assured for it to count as the same console, right?

Listen to the voice of reason, then do as I say.

Qly said:
Khuutra said:
famousringo said:
Qly said:

Mmmm, would they really count as a single machine though? i mean would you add wii 2nd generation which supports HD as sales of wii?? GBA doesn't add up to GB sales right? backwards and forwards compatibility must be assured for it to count as the same console, right?

That would mean that the DSi doesn't count as a DS because it cannot play Guitar Hero On Tour while the DS Lite can't play a game which uses both touch screens of the DSi. If that's the definition we're using, the Wii will definitely win.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

No!

I know of a family of 5 people who each have their own Nintendo DS, and while this is a very extreme case there are a lot more households that will have multiple DS systems than will own multiple Wii systems.