By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony is looking to take Rockstar “under their wings”

http://www.psu.com/Sony-To-Buy-Rockstar-News--a928-p0.php

Go Sony go, next squareenix!!

Around the Network

I hope it happens, but I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this.

LA Nior and that new franchise being Sony only.

Makes me wonder why, 360s user base is twice as big its 4 times as big in the USA where Rockstar games sale the most.  Theres some sort of deal in place between Sony/Rockstar, just depends how far it goes.

GG Rockstar, it seems to be the destiny of all good studios to be acquired, so they can wither and die within a huge, faceless corporation.

Or maybe this is just a rumour. :P

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Believe it when I see the Rockstar press release.

Around the Network

I hope not. I love our industry and the individuality the companies have. Plus what fun is it if ONE company owns all the major companies? No fun for 360 owners, no fun for Nintendo owners. Less games get made, Less competition. Nintendo isn't going anywhere and for the moment neither is MS, so why take a great company like RS away from those gamers?

Just doesn't make sense, especially with Sony's lack of performance in the sales charts.

This would definitely be a smart move for Sony, although it's a bit odd why MS or Nintendo wouldn't buy them first, or start making better offers. I never cared much for any Rockstar's games, but they sell insane amounts and everyone would want them as exclusives on their console.

Surely Microsoft and Nintendo, both of which are absolutely crawling in money, would be willing to pay more than Sony, that's gaming division has taken huge losses lately.

erm, you say this as if there's a guiding force making gaming even and fair.

Rockstar is in trouble, and Sony and MS have money to bail them out. I am just surprised this hasn't already happened. Of course, I don't believe some random rumour on some random website, so I'll be waiting for confirmation.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

How does "under their wings" mean "buy out"?

There isn't even a vague mention of this in the article. My guess is Sony are realizing how much it will hurt to have all these "popular" titles head to the Wii, and the 360 get a better version of GTA.

Buying the GTA license alone - could potentially go for a $1bn or even more.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Probably bogus ... maybe its just an exclusivity accord for a new game :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!