By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - American Numbers Up

DirtyP2002 said:
dolemit3 said:
While PS3's yoy drop is understandable, PSP's and PS2's are troubling.

why is it understandable?

• there are more games
  • it is the same price (or even cheaper?
  • it is a new SKU

what about all thos arguements like "when HDTVs are more spread, the PS3 will pick up in sales, because of BluRay" or "There are 120 million PS2-Users and they will upgrade to PS3 during Xmas"

I have heard this over and over again.

Well, since those were fanboy arguments, you shouldn't have paid them any mind.

>_>

Around the Network

PS3 is a niche system in NA.

atma998 said:
KillerMan said:
atma998 said:
KillerMan said:
Fernando said:
TheBigFatJ said:
The Wii is going to pass the PS2's holiday record.

Very well deserved =p

By quality of the games it is not so well deserved , but nevertheless Wii and DS numbers are amazing as always.

Yeah I agree with you. Now you have to excuse me, I'm gonna play one of my mature-blood-and-gore-intense-violent-shooter game on my HD console.

I meant when you compare Wii game library to PS2 game library at the end of 2003. So by game quality it is not so well deserved that Wii passes PS2 holiday record though it doesn't matter because it is going to do it and that is of course great for Nintendo.

Was the game library of PS2 in 2003 was so great? I don't remember but something sure is that all sales for every console are always well deserved.

it had 41 games (more than Wii+PS3+X360 combined) with metacritic score of 90+ so it was great.

DirtyP2002 said:
dolemit3 said:
While PS3's yoy drop is understandable, PSP's and PS2's are troubling.

why is it understandable?

• there are more games
  • it is the same price (or even cheaper?
  • it is a new SKU

what about all thos arguements like "when HDTVs are more spread, the PS3 will pick up in sales, because of BluRay" or "There are 120 million PS2-Users and they will upgrade to PS3 during Xmas"

I have heard this over and over again.

yes you are right. everyone was expecting ps3 to sell 120 million this year! im shocked it didnt!!

kowenicki said:
PalmiNio said:
chaospluto said:

Why am I not surprised?  Well I mean come on, it's only the MOST wanted item on anyones Christmas list this year.  DS and Wii are both wanted by everyone, their HUGE.

Wii is hot, it's been hot ever since it's release, why would I be surprised!?

PS3 "hasn't" been hot ever since it's release, so you tell me why I think PS3 and PSP are doing really good considering their state?

Hasn't been hot? Hot for what?

They released some great games this year, looking at list they even have better +90 games.

Major title like MGS4 which is the same uber heavy leauge as Halo 3 was for 360. Strong winter with followups from release hits like Resistance adn Motorstorm. Launch of Home, Launch of DS 3 outside Japan, Little Big Planet that must got the biggest presscoverage this year, WipeOut HD

Saying PS3 hasn't been hot this year is kind of bad. In my eye's the exklusive race this year goes to Sony. Yes they have more ammo but this year was a big load out.

It is a game machine and as far it goes for games they done good this year compared to 2006 and 2007. Crossplattform games doesn't suck that bad as they used to compared 2 360 and the exklusive games showed of some great power.

I blame on the price and the poor sale is due to lowest value per dollar in consumers eyes but not the Games or Hype cause PS3 got them plenty.

wow.  how far off the mark are you here!!  hype yes... sales  nope.

well obviously for you sales mean everything but as a gamer MGS4 kills halo 3 because it delivered in every way! unlike halo 3.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
kowenicki said:

here:

It's always up on this graph at least until Sony cuts the price, which looks to be quite late in 2009...

Its very telling that the gap between the two has been bigger :P

It doesn't seem that long ago that the Sony fans were taunting the MS fans about how quickly the PS3 would overtake the 360 - how things change so quickly...

Next year is now the final key to this generation. If MS have pull off a solid win, and extend their lead by another 1-2m (or even keep level) - I have to say its over for the PS3, and Sony might have to terminate their plans early (and have a rethink).

All the cards are in Sony's deck now - to strike back, and strike hard. Its all or nothing for the next 12 months - starting around March/April...

The PS2 drop in sales is not surprising, but won't please Sony. I doubt it will make their forecast at this rate.

PSP is more worrying. At the start of this fiscal period, the PSP was the one I identified as being the most risky for hitting fiscal shipment targets. I haven't done the math, but I suspect they are starting to drop behind the eight-ball on them.

They are roughly doing 1m PSP (WW) per month outside of Xmas - and should do about 2-2.5m this month. What was their fiscal target again? (20m or something?)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Console               America December 14, 2007                  America December 13, 2008       Diff            % Diff

PS3                      207, 149                                                    180, 755                                         -26, 394     -12.74

PSP                      263, 908                                                    214, 620                                         -49, 288     -18.68

There you go Kowenicki

chaospluto said:
Sorry, I over-exaggerated a lot, so sue me o.o
*sues you* You owe me .01 vg$!! :-p

KillerMan said:
atma998 said:
KillerMan said:
atma998 said:
KillerMan said:
Fernando said:
TheBigFatJ said:
The Wii is going to pass the PS2's holiday record.

Very well deserved =p

By quality of the games it is not so well deserved , but nevertheless Wii and DS numbers are amazing as always.

Yeah I agree with you. Now you have to excuse me, I'm gonna play one of my mature-blood-and-gore-intense-violent-shooter game on my HD console.

I meant when you compare Wii game library to PS2 game library at the end of 2003. So by game quality it is not so well deserved that Wii passes PS2 holiday record though it doesn't matter because it is going to do it and that is of course great for Nintendo.

Was the game library of PS2 in 2003 was so great? I don't remember but something sure is that all sales for every console are always well deserved.

it had 41 games (more than Wii+PS3+X360 combined) with metacritic score of 90+ so it was great.

Metacritic doesnt mean anything for the mass market.

GTAIV08 said:
kowenicki said:
PalmiNio said:
chaospluto said:

Why am I not surprised?  Well I mean come on, it's only the MOST wanted item on anyones Christmas list this year.  DS and Wii are both wanted by everyone, their HUGE.

Wii is hot, it's been hot ever since it's release, why would I be surprised!?

PS3 "hasn't" been hot ever since it's release, so you tell me why I think PS3 and PSP are doing really good considering their state?

Hasn't been hot? Hot for what?

They released some great games this year, looking at list they even have better +90 games.

Major title like MGS4 which is the same uber heavy leauge as Halo 3 was for 360. Strong winter with followups from release hits like Resistance adn Motorstorm. Launch of Home, Launch of DS 3 outside Japan, Little Big Planet that must got the biggest presscoverage this year, WipeOut HD

Saying PS3 hasn't been hot this year is kind of bad. In my eye's the exklusive race this year goes to Sony. Yes they have more ammo but this year was a big load out.

It is a game machine and as far it goes for games they done good this year compared to 2006 and 2007. Crossplattform games doesn't suck that bad as they used to compared 2 360 and the exklusive games showed of some great power.

I blame on the price and the poor sale is due to lowest value per dollar in consumers eyes but not the Games or Hype cause PS3 got them plenty.

wow.  how far off the mark are you here!!  hype yes... sales  nope.

well obviously for you sales mean everything but as a gamer MGS4 kills halo 3 because it delivered in every way! unlike halo 3.

Um, we are in a sales thread.. sales are everything when we are discussing ps3's sales..

its funny.. because kowenicki said "how far off the mark were you" and then went on to say the whole point at the end of the very same sentence.. the PS3 sales (hardware and software) are quite disappointing this year