By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is stuff sold at X9.99?

bugrimmar said:
so basically, the reason is because there are a lot of ignorant consumers. right?

I wouldn't say that at all. It just when people are busy buying lots of things/researching products and trying to keep track of prices in their minds, they start from the highest digit and work backwards. Often people's subconsciousness plays a trick on them. It's quite effective on most consumers, whether they realise it or not. No offense intended, but it seems odd to me, that someone would ask a question about something, that is marketing and business 101 and then call people who fall for it ignorant.

Around the Network

it just seems ignorant to me because i've never fallen for that X9.99 price.

Oh bugrimmar, you have. Believe me, you have.

You cannot beat marketing. They are much slicker than you could ever believe. Trust me on this.

This is invisible text!

bugrimmar said:
it just seems ignorant to me because i've never fallen for that X9.99 price.

This is the equivilent of my dad saying comercials don't work, then asking if we want a chocolate bar about 2 seconds after a hershey's chocolate bar comercial airs. He may not have went out and bought some then, but he just ate the ones he has left and needs to go buy more now...

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

whenever i buy something, i purposefully round it up. even if its 54 dollars, i say its 60 dollars. if its 6 dollars, i say its 10. that's just how my brain works. so no, i've never fallen for that marketing campaign.

Around the Network

Tell yourself that if you'd like, but it's not something you "fall" for. It's a trick on your subconscious and it does effect you whether you recognize it or not.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

I think by now it is slightly pointless, everyone knows what they are trying to do

bugrimmar said:
whenever i buy something, i purposefully round it up. even if its 54 dollars, i say its 60 dollars. if its 6 dollars, i say its 10. that's just how my brain works. so no, i've never fallen for that marketing campaign.

Really? Did you realize you just put 0.00 in your 1st post instead of 10.00?

Good for you, for consciously avoiding a marketing tactic, without even knowing how it worked. Even the thriftiest shoppers fall prey to it, rounding up or not. I find it hard to believe you would be any different, unless you always calculate everything very carefully, before you go shopping or barely buy anything at all. You already said you round #'s up. So, that can't be the case. There's always that 1 time, your mind makes a slip up and that's what companies are banking on. There's nothing ignorant about that. It's just the way the human mind works.

The point of the X9.99 figure is paychology. There's a powerful effect when you're TECHNICALLY under the psychological barriers that helps push sales, but the one-cent difference isn't actually significant enough to hurt your revenue by very much.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.