By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Red Ringed Xbox 360s Still Dog Microsoft

NintendoMonopoly said:

@Fumanchu:

He might have the right to post a thread, but people have the right to call him out, on the intent and nature of the thread. ARTICLE Now, if you're saying people shouldn't get worked up, then I agree, because this thread is completely pointless.

@megaman2:

inform?... ONLY POST FAIR AND BALANCED JOURNALISM?... That's what I call, patronizing at it's best. I don't know how, you could think you're informing anyone in the VGC community, when everyone has already heard about RROD, literally years ago. Talk about beating a dead horse. This article shouldn't have been made in the 1st place, seeing how it's just anecdotal half truths, that don't tell the whole story of the current situation. Would you consider your previous threads to be fair and balanced, when you consider the fact, that they got you banned numerous times? In light of all of that, this thread could only possibly serve 2 purposes;

1) To be a desperate damage control scare tactic.
2) To incite a rise.
Why don't you make everyone happier and go post something about Sony or mobilize the army of Sony soliders, that you lead, instead?

I understand what you and everyone are saying - this article doesn't portray an accurate assessment of the current situation.  Good point...again.  What I'm saying is that these are not his words and all he has done, is simply find a news article, which serves his agenda, and present it for discussion.  If it were posted by someone else would it be any less damaging? Why should articles be censored because of their intent and nature? That would mean that there would be no articles that reflect any console in a bad light - should the article about Sony making 16,000 employees redundant not be brought here because of its' intent? You can't be a troll for telling someone the news can you?

By all means attack the journalist for using their anecdotal evidence to exaggerate the issue at hand, there was no mention of the hardware revisions or anything that indicates the steps Microsoft has taken to rectify the problem.  Maybe that's beyond the scope of the article? Which in actuality is really just a little ditty blog.  But if you were Travis Williams and you had a voice, would you not feel compelled to get it heard? That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

One more thing worth mentioning is where this article came from.  That should put an end to all the bias claims.

Around the Network
Fumanchu said:
NintendoMonopoly said:

@Fumanchu:

He might have the right to post a thread, but people have the right to call him out, on the intent and nature of the thread. ARTICLE Now, if you're saying people shouldn't get worked up, then I agree, because this thread is completely pointless.

@megaman2:

inform?... ONLY POST FAIR AND BALANCED JOURNALISM?... That's what I call, patronizing at it's best. I don't know how, you could think you're informing anyone in the VGC community, when everyone has already heard about RROD, literally years ago. Talk about beating a dead horse. This article shouldn't have been made in the 1st place, seeing how it's just anecdotal half truths, that don't tell the whole story of the current situation. Would you consider your previous threads to be fair and balanced, when you consider the fact, that they got you banned numerous times? In light of all of that, this thread could only possibly serve 2 purposes;

1) To be a desperate damage control scare tactic.
2) To incite a rise.
Why don't you make everyone happier and go post something about Sony or mobilize the army of Sony soliders, that you lead, instead?

I understand what you and everyone are saying - this article doesn't portray an accurate assessment of the current situation.  Good point...again.  What I'm saying is that these are not his words and all he has done, is simply find a news article, which serves his agenda, and present it for discussion.  If it were posted by someone else would it be any less damaging? Why should articles be censored because of their intent and nature? That would mean that there would be no articles that reflect any console in a bad light - should the article about Sony making 16,000 employees redundant not be brought here because of its' intent? You can't be a troll for telling someone the news can you?

By all means attack the journalist for using their anecdotal evidence to exaggerate the issue at hand, there was no mention of the hardware revisions or anything that indicates the steps Microsoft has taken to rectify the problem.  Maybe that's beyond the scope of the article? Which in actuality is really just a little ditty blog.  But if you were Travis Williams and you had a voice, would you not feel compelled to get it heard? That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

One more thing worth mentioning is where this article came from.  That should put an end to all the bias claims.

I completely agree with you on that and am not even arguing that problems with a console shouldn't be discussed, but we don't need to be supporting some article full of nonsense. I actually mentioned that the article is where the problem stems from, when replying to MM2, but he's still just using it to push his agendas. It's very unprofessional, which he's claiming it isn't. The thread and any content presented in it, might not need to be censored, but if it has faults, they should be brought to light. Any OP with low integrity, should be treated, the same way. If people are creating numerous threads, solely about Sony laying off 16,000 workers 3 years from now, without adding anything new to the subject or at least approaching it from a different direction, then I expect people to act the same way. The article may be flawed, but the scope of the issue is beyond what I'd expect from a random Internet article. Around here on the other hand, we have resources and we've heard all of this, several times before. Besides, I don't know how, posting an article makes it acceptable. That's just something to hide behind. I certainly don't want that to become the standard on VGC.

Fumanchu said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Spankey said:
damndl0ser said:
How many of these articles do we really need? RROD happens, it is real, it happend to me, so what? It took a little over a week to get my 360 serviced and its not really that big of a deal. People who normally harp on this are fanboys so give it a rest already.

no need to be such a damndl0ser. lol

This is an informative article, much like the many informative atricles currently in the Sony thread.

"Just wait for" Jasper to hit the masses and all earlier 360 units still out there to get their RRoD out of the way and this crap will be a distant memory.

Fixed.

Now that's 'flamebaiting'.  As far as I can tell your name, your avatar, your comments, basically your entire presence on this site is to aggravate people with unfounded 100% statistic generalisations that don’t exist.  Challenge me that I’m wrong.

Pretty much.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

DMeisterJ said:
No one seemed to have a problem with gebx flame-baiting, so let megaman2 post his fair and balanced jornalism.

^_^

Fair and balanced, huh? It's not even CNN or the like. It's a fanboy blog at best. First phail.

Talking about old units - they still suffer from the same prob - and most have been repaired by folks in their mom's basement. Where does he mention the newer models?

I've been quiet lately, but man, just chill with having to defend the PS3 on every front. My heavens - you'd think we talked about one of your relatives.

Just because you are enamored, in lust and crazy in love with your PS3 doesn't mean everyone else should be.

this thread/fail.

megaman2 said:

Travis Williams drove around Louisville, Ky. for a week with a busted Xbox 360 in his trunk. It was his third console stricken by the dreaded “Red Ring of Death” — known as “general hardware failure” in the halls of Microsoft.

If you look online, you’ll find lots of people like Travis. Really angry people. Every game enthusiast site has multiple forums dedicated to the Red Ring problem – home remedies on how to solve it, condolences for people who’ve just experienced it, and gamers claiming to be on their fourth, sixth or ninth Xbox 360.

It’s been almost a year and a half since Microsoft issued a big “I’m sorry” to consumers, extending the warranty on their Xbox 360s to three years and taking a $1 billion charge against earnings to pay for repairs and beefed-up customer service. But still, the Red Ring of Death dogs the company.

Getting Red Ringed is almost a badge of honor now, like a crushing hangover after an epic night out. Everyone I know — myself included — has gotten at least one. But after three Xboxes in two years, Williams was sick of the tell-tale red lights on the front of his console — and the refurbished consoles Microsoft sent him as replacements.

“If I had any other type of appliance that went out this quick and this often, I’d be upset,” he says. “You wouldn’t expect to get a new refrigerator and have it go out on a regular basis.”

Many industry watchers, including Dean Takahashi, a writer for VentureBeat, have speculated that Microsoft, in its haste to beat Sony and Nintendo to market, pushed the Xbox 360 out too early.

Takahashi has written two books about Microsoft, including “The Xbox 360 Uncloaked: The Real Story Behind Microsoft’s Next-Generation Video Game Console.” In it, he references internal sources and documents that show Microsoft knew the console had problems — but launched it anyway.

“Microsoft had experience with this before, with the first Xbox where they showed improvement over time,” he told me. “They sort of assumed they could do the same thing (with the 360), and it hasn’t happened.”

The Red Ring problem isn’t the only one Microsoft faces with the Xbox 360. Jason Johnson, of Madison County, Ill., has filed suit against the company alleging that his 360 has destroyed three games by scratching the discs.

A deposition of Microsoft program manager Hiroo Umeno, revealed this week in an unsealed court document, indicates that the company was aware of the problem before its November 2005 launch, and following the launch, determined that tilting the console to the left or forward would cause discs to scratch. Umeno declined to comment on the lawsuit or his deposition.

On the subject of the Red Rings, Microsoft is a bit more forthcoming. Company spokesperson David Dennis told me, via an e-mailed statement, that the company has “improved (its) manufacturing processes to improve reliability and our repair process to accelerate turn-around time for repairs.”

However, Microsoft still can’t (or won’t) identify the reasons the Red Rings happen in the first place. Takahashi says the root cause is usually a graphics chip that is overheating inside the machine. Dennis declined to get specific, saying only that “we identified a complex set of various factors and interactions that can cause the three flashing red lights error message on the console.”

It is true that Microsoft has gotten better about keeping gamers informed about the whereabouts of their busted consoles. Williams, from Louisville, got an e-mail from customer support just this week confirming the receipt of his console — complete with an apology – from “Caleb.” And from here on out, he can check the status of his repair at support.xbox.com — something Microsoft instituted in August 2007 to help earn back some of the goodwill it lost from gamers.

Chad Lawhon, from St. Joseph, Mo., is one of those gamers. He’s had six Xbox 360s Red Ring on him — and he’s plenty steamed about it. He says he and his friends, who he keeps in touch with via Xbox Live, think Microsoft is lucky that their console is “really where the games are at, and that’s where the best online experience comes from.”

“With any other consumer electronic device, there’s no way I would get another one, or even come back to that product again,” he says.

Lawhon is no fair-weather fan. He owned the first Xbox, and participated in the Xbox Live beta. He stood in line on launch day to get the Xbox 360. And he’s the owner of — get this — four of them, one for each of his family members. He loves the games for the system —it’s the hardware that’s let him down, over and over again.

“If the 360 hardware was as reliable as the PS3, I’d be a happy camper all the way around,” he says.

Speaking of Microsoft’s rival, Lawhon is expecting his new PlayStation 3 to arrive on Friday — but is mainly excited about the console because it can play Blu-ray DVDs, he says.

As for Williams, he wants his Xbox 360 back, but he’s also leaning toward a PS3. The only problem, he says, is that none of his friends have a PS3. Like Lawhon, he spends a lot of time on Xbox Live, playing games online with his friends.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28284375/

It seems the Infamous rrod just won't go away just this week it happened to two people I just hope nobody gets their Xbox 360 rrod this christmas. Happy gaming colonelstubbs and Happy gaming to everyone and a merry christmas and happy new year and a happy easter

Xbox 360 is unstoppable - http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=53441

What do you make of this, please discuss!

I ONLY POST FAIR AND BALANCED JOURNALISM, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE TO THE VGCHARTZ COMUNNITY

I've lost the lil amount of respect I had for you. And that was due to the Thriller album cover. You are only asking for more news to be posted.

Around the Network

An infomational article from some PS fanboy (the Sony Leader) LMAO.

Where are the X360 and Wii Leaders you should all get together and bitch about stuff.

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

mrstickball said:
1) The consoles weren't new...It's an old refurb
2) No mention of RRoDing on newer consoles
3) Both people are complaining of refurbs breaking...Not new.

There are your answers. Stop posting this crap before you read it or I'll feel free to post some useless anti-Sony articles on the Sony forum :-p

All you are doing is trying to incite something that just isn't there.

So true. And I was thinking megaman2 had class. What a disappointment. tsc tsc tsc...

Derixs said:

Where are the X360 and Wii Leaders you should all get together and bitch about stuff.

We don't need leaders =)

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

You are about as fair and balanced as fox news.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Derixs said:

They have been defeated!