By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take Two: We just can't ignore the Wii's install base. We just can't.

GTA is one of the most "casual" games in existance. I know many people who don't play single player action adventures or action games normally, but they really enjoy just walking around Liberty City and destroy stuff or run over people with their car. They don't even care about finishing the missions. And i'm sure thats at least one of the reasons why the franchise managed to sell in this numbers, because the casual and the hardcore enjoy the game. So i think GTA would work perfectly for Wii, though i'm not sure they will make one.

Around the Network

GTA Wii will come..its just a matter of time.. my hope is that they have the ambition to make it the best they can..then we can talk about whats more or less "appropriate" on wii... in other words put your money where your mouth is..

Their investors have indeed spoken ;)

gta on wii will flop. you can quote me on that.

bugrimmar said:
gta on wii will flop. you can quote me on that.

It may not sell the 10+ Million units it did on the HD consoles, but I don't see why it would not match (surpass) the sales of the GTA: Stories games that were released for the PSP ... With the low development cost, and 2 to 4 Million in sales, it would become one of Take Two's most profitable games.

its going to flop because the user base isn't interested in anything non-nintendo related. sure, the user base is huge. but they're made up almost entirely of casual gamers who only care for party games.

gta is not a party game and it's not nintendo related in any way.

therefore gta on wii is going to flop.

Around the Network

In other words, this is a ZOMGKIDDY troll.

Rockstar's content is seldom appropriate for the audience they target their sales at. Every last scrap of it, however, is appropriate for the Wii, if the concept of "content-appropriateness" even applies to game consoles.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

They are going to announce Grand Theft Bicycle!

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

@bugrimmar

unfortunately what you have just said is a false myth that we hear all too often.. a lot of core gamers own multiple consoles including the wii for its unique nature.. a good quality exclusive gta would certainly interest a lot of us...

its not a matter of technical issues since all previous gta games did fine on ps2 and early pc before that....rather its how they can take full advantage of the wii strengths that will be the key difference..

earlier today i was playing gta4 on a high end pc and was thinking of how even more great the whole experiance would feel using a wii remote.. visuals don't bother me quite as much as having good CONTENT!

RolStoppable said:
bugrimmar said:
its going to flop because the user base isn't interested in anything non-nintendo related. sure, the user base is huge. but they're made up almost entirely of casual gamers who only care for party games.

gta is not a party game and it's not nintendo related in any way.

therefore gta on wii is going to flop.

It's so easy to prove you wrong. Case in point: Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. Capcom expected to sell 620k copies of the game, it sold more than twice than that.

The game also covers all of your other criticisms:

1) It's not a Nintendo game.
2) It's not a party game.
3) It's part of a popular franchise, just like GTA.
4) It's M-rated, just like GTA.

Your turn.

So would that be the reason why RE5 is being lead platform developed for the Wii, or is it not because Capcom is somehow averse to taking easy money?

Umbrella Chronicles is a horrible example simply because it is practically the sole exception for Wii soft sales trends. Why not mention Manhunt 2?

Feel free to make a big note of RE4 remake and Red Steel, because until/unless Conduit and Madworld become confirmed million sellers, that's about it for strong selling games in the M demographic for the Wii.

Take all the Nintendo published titles away from the top selling list on the platform and you're not left with an even half decent list of games.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
Guitar Hero III
Carnival Games
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Lego Star Wars
RE4 Wii Edition
Game Party
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
My Sims
RE Umbrella Chronicles
High School Musical: Sing It
Guitar Hero World Tour
Smarty Pants
Red Steel
Deca Sports
Lego Indiana Jones
The Simpsons Game

The list doesn't exactly take a turn for the better once you continue to dip into the sub platinum selling games either.

Would GTA sell on the Wii? Why not? Even Dad wouldn't mind playing a little GTA when the kids are asleep. Would it sell as well as it would for the 360, PS3 or PC? Not even close.

Take Two would better spend their efforts on something more friendly to the Wii user base if they're mainly interested in chasing big sales figures.