By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do HD VGA cables support 1080p?

The J man just got an hdtv (finally) that supports 1080p. He doesnt want to burn money on an hdmi and has a hd vga cable for the 360 already.

Does the vga cable support 1080p and how does it compare to hdmi?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network

Yes, it does do 1980x1080, but to me, the VGA colors look very washed out.

Would the washed out colors be because of the wire or tv?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Yes it does. I have my PC connected to my 40". I use VGA. Originally I tried DVI to HDMI on my tv but the fonts came out odd.

I don't believe it washes out the colors. VGA cable is RGB, maybe you've got bad cable. There shouldn't be washout. FYI, if you plan on getting longer than 6' on your VGA you should go to local electronic store and get a high quality cable (thicker with higher specs) or you will get phasing.

You need to adjust the contrast settings to Advanced on X360 system blade. You have a VGA cable so you should know this already..

The other thing I need to point out is a lot of LCD TVs don't seem to display VGA properly ie there are problems with overscanning and underscanning which you need to do some more research on..

But apart from that I think the picture is much brighter than component.

Also it depends even though VGA goes up to 1080p I think it actually depends on your TV..

Around the Network

If you look online, you could probably get an HDMI cable on the cheap side. I don't know about online vendors in the UK, but I bought mine from Newegg.com for about $10.

piggychan said:
You need to adjust the contrast settings to Advanced on X360 system blade. You have a VGA cable so you should know this already..

The other thing I need to point out is a lot of LCD TVs don't seem to display VGA properly ie there are problems with overscanning and underscanning which you need to do some more research on..

But apart from that I think the picture is much brighter than component.

Also it depends even though VGA goes up to 1080p I think it actually depends on your TV..

I have a VGA cable - I used it with a projector as well, but I can't get 1080p on the device - they don't support it.

In 720p, the display is rather crisp, but not as eye popping as using my HDMI to DVI cable. Right now, that is the sharpest cable in my arsenal. The component HD cables look awesome too.

IllegalPaladin said:
If you look online, you could probably get an HDMI cable on the cheap side. I don't know about online vendors in the UK, but I bought mine from Newegg.com for about $10.

The problem is MS. This post will *hopefully* convince folks I am NOT an MS fanboy.

MS did a very naughty thing with the HDMI placement. They have purposely made the HDMI output and the visual cable close enough that only two methods will allow a customer to use the HDMI cable and get optical or 5.1 sound. You can mod a cable or buy the *official* MS HDMI cable, which is complete hogwash. It's an overpriced POC. I do think Sony is much better with the placement of the HDMI output - and they also allow you to use old PS2 cables - helped me out a ton - even if those clowns don't include an HDMI cable.

Regardless, just google '360 HDMI cable mods' to see if you are up to doing that.

Really that, the 360 wifi adapter AND the overpriced HD - and RROD - are some low points for the 360 this gen. MS so sucks for these POC components. They PHAIL with this junk.

NM, I'm a retard. I didn't read first post clearly. Get a inexpensive HDMI off of www.newegg.com. I got one from there and it works fine.

DO NOT go to a local electronics store. Go to monoprice.com and get a high quality in-wall cable for a fraction of the price.

You can get an HDMI cable from monoprice too, in like 8 different colors for easy wire identification.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)