By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Take Two reports record revenue, but loses money, shares fall

@ c0rd

lol, yeah like RolStoppable said. Kinda.

Around the Network

So they lost money the 9 quarter before the release of GTA, yeah, I somewhat doubt there other venture are profitable.

Not really surprising when you see they lost money during there first quarter, when you are a gaming company and you lose money during the holiday season it pretty much mean you are in deep shit. This is not like losing money during the summer lull where not many game are released and you don't have much revenue.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

After hours trading dropped 20%, Jesus H christ

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

So over the last 3 years (while T2 was developing GTA4 and had it released for 6 months or so) they overall lost $226 million, including in every single quarter up until GTA4's release and now losing again two quarters after its release.

DKII said:
So over the last 3 years (while T2 was developing GTA4 and had it released for 6 months or so) they overall lost $226 million, including in every single quarter up until GTA4's release and now losing again two quarters after its release.

When you phrase it this way, it's utterly terrifying.

Around the Network

lol at everyone saying they're being bankrupted by HD development. With 300M dollars in revenue and them still losing money they're just really bloated as a company.

With that amount of cash you could completely fund 10-20 absolute blockbusters of games, and I'm sure they don't have that much going on. They badly need to restructure, and that's all there is to it.

You mean mature games aren't serious business?

If I recall, GTA IV cost in the neighbourhood of $100 mil to make. I'd say it's time to cut back on development budgets.

Of course, their other games surely don't cost that much to make, but I think the budget for GTA IV may be indicative of...irresponsibility.

no but they will most likely port GTA for the wii next year. Perhaps they will even bother to design a new title from an old skin

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

@ Megaman - I hope not. Rockstar ported Bully from the PS2 to the 360 - and talk about a waste.

couchmonkey said:
You mean mature games aren't serious business?

If I recall, GTA IV cost in the neighbourhood of $100 mil to make. I'd say it's time to cut back on development budgets.

Of course, their other games surely don't cost that much to make, but I think the budget for GTA IV may be indicative of...irresponsibility.

I agree that $100 M for a game is equally ridiculous, but looking at that list of games that they have in development right now I don't see any that even come close to that.  That $300 M revenue/expenses is for the current quarter.  I think they just need to trim the fat from all over the place.