By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 eventually pass 360?

I think with the the guaranteed triple-threat of MGS4, Killzone 2, and GTA IV early-mid next year, you'll see sales sky-rocket.

Factor in new IP's such as inFamous that could surprise, as well as price-cutting (I speculate we'll see a $300 PS3 by the end of '08), and we can see further sales momentum.

Lastly, add in a certain Gran Turismo 5 and maybe even a FFXIII at the end of the year, and I can definitely see PS3 surpassing the 360 world-wide.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
gebx said:
leo-j said:
WiteoutKing said:
The PS3 won't pull past 360 until 2009 at the absolute earliest. The momentum just isn't there.

Why would any idiot waste 500 dollars on a ps3? The momentum is there.

LOL!

Do you even look at the stats on this page or just go around posting BS??

Week ending Aug 5th in Japan - PS3 number went down 40%

Week ending Aug 4th in Japan - PS3 number went down 11%

I really hope this isn't the momentum you're talking about because at this rate all PS3's will be returned to retailers by Spring 08.

god its to easy to diss your fanboy ass comment.

you realize the boost was from the price drop, what happens when the good games start coming at the end of the month? A really big boost in sales. The sales boost was the thunder before the storm. And it might just be destructive.

Currently line-up vs line-up the PS3 and Wii have the strongest going into this holiday. Without GTA4 the 360 looks rather crappy this holiday.

@leo - resistance is a trillagy. There is a Resistance 2 coming in 2008.

@Kain - go play Resistance please then say that. If resistance came out at the sametime the original Halo did Halo would have been the one with the 9.1 and Resistance with the 9.8. 

You may be the only person I have ever seen who really believes the PS3 has a better 2007 holiday line up than Microsoft. Including Sony.

"Suck on it" -vgchartz mod

Quickdraw McGraw said:
I think with the the guaranteed triple-threat of MGS4, Killzone 2, and GTA IV early-mid next year, you'll see sales sky-rocket.

Factor in new IP's such as inFamous that could surprise, as well as price-cutting (I speculate we'll see a $300 PS3 by the end of '08).

Lastly, add in a certain Gran Turismo 5 and maybe even a FFXIII at the end of the year, and I can definitely see PS3 surpassing the 360 world-wide.

Yes def if ps3 drops to 300 while xbox at say 150 200 absolutly no doubt

but the problem is them dropping the price that low and if they did it that low wii would have to be almost free and xbox 100 to compete

At the moment sony is loseing (was loseing) 300 dollars a ps3 (cause of blue ray) so unless they can really find a way to make it cheap i dont see it happening though definatly a decent price. At the moment even microsoft (or was) is loseing money on its console (20 bucks or so)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Sony should catch up to Microsoft by the end of 2008, for three reasons:

(1) HDTV has finally become affordable, which helps Sony enormously - Blu-Ray and HDMI become de facto standards, and the whole Sony media strategy suddenly makes perfect sense. Microsoft has no counter to this.

(2) The price of the PS3 is going to drop another $100 next year, either in the spring or, more likely, summer. Remember inflation: $399 in 2008 equals about $299 in 2000 dollars, the magic price-point where the mass market opens up.

(3) Yes, the 360 will drop in price, too, but this won't help. Even if Microsoft fixed their hardware problems tomorrow, they sold at least 10 million problematic consoles. Even if only 5% of those consoles die, that's half a million extremely angry consumers - and hell hath no fury like an infuriated gamer.

wangfoo said:
ssj12 said:
gebx said:
leo-j said:
WiteoutKing said:
The PS3 won't pull past 360 until 2009 at the absolute earliest. The momentum just isn't there.

LOL!

I really hope this isn't the momentum you're talking about because at this rate all PS3's will be returned to retailers by Spring 08.

you realize the boost was from the price drop, what happens when the good games start coming at the end of the month? A really big boost in sales. The sales boost was the thunder before the storm. And it might just be destructive.

Currently line-up vs line-up the PS3 and Wii have the strongest going into this holiday. Without GTA4 the 360 looks rather crappy this holiday.

@Kain - go play Resistance please then say that. If resistance came out at the sametime the original Halo did Halo would have been the one with the 9.1 and Resistance with the 9.8.

You may be the only person I have ever seen who really believes the PS3 has a better 2007 holiday line up than Microsoft. Including Sony.

actually the guys on IGN also think the line-up looks better then Microsoft because Sony has more games of more genres coming out not just the majority being shooters.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
SlorgNet said:
Sony should catch up to Microsoft by the end of 2008, for three reasons:

(1) HDTV has finally become affordable, which helps Sony enormously - Blu-Ray and HDMI become de facto standards, and the whole Sony media strategy suddenly makes perfect sense. Microsoft has no counter to this.

(2) The price of the PS3 is going to drop another $100 next year, either in the spring or, more likely, summer. Remember inflation: $399 in 2008 equals about $299 in 2000 dollars, the magic price-point where the mass market opens up.

(3) Yes, the 360 will drop in price, too, but this won't help. Even if Microsoft fixed their hardware problems tomorrow, they sold at least 10 million problematic consoles. Even if only 5% of those consoles die, that's half a million extremely angry consumers - and hell hath no fury like an infuriated gamer.

Hmm my friend wasnt really angry when he had to send his in, he got a free month of xbox live with it.

Yes again if ps3 can drop to 400 it does have a very good chance but you have to remember if sony is loseing alot of money for each ps3 sold so it will happen as soon as production costs go down so that has to happen. If that were to happen you can see that the wii and xbox would also drop to counter but i still see ps3 dominating but not till 2009 (over 360 of course not wii)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

1) ...unless something significant has changed, 360 has just as much HD support as the PS3...

2) The 360 is likely to be seeing price cuts as well, competition will continue.

3) "The PS3's price cut will save the system! The 360's price cut will do nothing." Do you read what you're typing before you post?

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

ssj12 said:
wangfoo said:
ssj12 said:
gebx said:
leo-j said:
WiteoutKing said:

LOL!

actually the guys on IGN also think the line-up looks better then Microsoft because Sony has more games of more genres coming out not just the majority being shooters.

Majority being shooters huh show me the ps3 rpg coming out this holiday......speechless what i thought. Now while a good portion of the games coming out are shooters they are not just normal shooters your talking about a rpg shooter (mass effect) your regular shooter (halo 3) and a game that i dont know how to discribe but awsome (bioshock) and you have 3 fantastic rpgs coming out for xbox exclusive now i know ps3 does have some decent games but lets be honost.

ssj12 said:
wangfoo said:

I didn't realize 3 out of 19 titles announced for the holiday season (though now 18 since GTA is delayed) being shooters meant a majority.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

dacobra786 said:
feel free to add cause i like to know what i missed :)

Apparently, you missed some English and/or composition classes.  But if U R 2 kewl to use proper spelling and grammar, at least use the Enter key once in a while to put some white space into a long post.

That said, I can understand why you may not be aware of what's coming out for the Xbox 360 in 2008 because Microsoft's E3 announcements concentrated on this holiday season.  These are some of the games I am aware of:

Alan Wake

Fable 2

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Halo Wars

Too Human