By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I'm lowering my opening week predictions for WKC

FinalEvangelion said:
If online was the main thing to drag the score down and single player is like other Level 5 RPGs, things will be ok for Japan. 95% of Japanese gamers could give two craps about online gaming.

You're not very familiar with Famitsu, are you? They are VERY gentle with their reviews. Even if a game sucks, they will rarely put the game down. They respect game developers and don't want to openly insult the game, even if it deserves it. Don't bother reading the review, just look at the scores.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Around the Network
jetrii said:
FinalEvangelion said:
If online was the main thing to drag the score down and single player is like other Level 5 RPGs, things will be ok for Japan. 95% of Japanese gamers could give two craps about online gaming.

You're not very familiar with Famitsu, are you? They are VERY gentle with their reviews.

Even if a game sucks, they will rarely put the game down.

They respect game developers and don't want to openly insult the game, even if it deserves it.

Don't bother reading the review, just look at the scores.

Heck even there scores are usually high.  Coulda swore they admitted they will rate a game higher if the fans want it and it's hyped.

Plain and simple. JRPG's are losing popularity and Shooters and party games are gaining.

Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:
I doubt the score will have an effect... at all.

Believe it or not, Famitsu is actually "reliable" in Japan. I mean just look at 428 Wii...the game didn't have the most hype but Famitsu's 40/40 score made preorders rise and caused Sega to ship more copies. It sold pretty well for a text adventure, too. So while some people may not care about them, it's not necessarily the same in Japan.

@mummel

Not really...they'd just move to the Wii for more development like many other devs have. But that's bad for PS3 owners lol.

@STAGE

Agree, but it's even moreso on HD consoles. Safe havens for RPGs this gen are the Wii, DS, and PSP (some are even sticking with the PS2 lol...look at Atlus)...not HD consoles, which is why you're not seeing new HD RPG announcements and more for the Wii, DS, and PSP.

The bolded is about it, the Wii's JRPGs sales have been lackluster as well.

Soriku said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:

Believe it or not, Famitsu is actually "reliable" in Japan. I mean just look at 428 Wii...the game didn't have the most hype but Famitsu's 40/40 score made preorders rise and caused Sega to ship more copies. It sold pretty well for a text adventure, too. So while some people may not care about them, it's not necessarily the same in Japan.

@mummel

Not really...they'd just move to the Wii for more development like many other devs have. But that's bad for PS3 owners lol.

@STAGE

Agree, but it's even moreso on HD consoles. Safe havens for RPGs this gen are the Wii, DS, and PSP (some are even sticking with the PS2 lol...look at Atlus)...not HD consoles, which is why you're not seeing new HD RPG announcements and more for the Wii, DS, and PSP.

DQS is over 700k. ToS: DotNW should hit 500k once it hits EU. Both these games are spinoffs. I don't think any of them got ads in the West, while the HD console JRPGs have.

So not really. Many devs are putting JRPGs on the Wii anyway...

Wonder which ones made the most money too. I think with Others tales will see 450ish, maybe not 500k, But still, a spin off selling more than Tov or any other HD jrpgs is indicitive of the market.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network
Aiemond said:
Soriku said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:

@mummel

@STAGE

DQS is over 700k. ToS: DotNW should hit 500k once it hits EU. Both these games are spinoffs. I don't think any of them got ads in the West, while the HD console JRPGs have.

Wonder which ones made the most money too. I think with Others tales will see 450ish, maybe not 500k, But still, a spin off selling more than Tov or any other HD jrpgs is indicitive of the market.

I'm sorry, but Lost Odyssey's 810k and Blue Dragon's 520k sales aren't going anywhere. TLR reached 300k in 3 weeks only. Even Infinite Undiscovery sold decently considering its hype was non-existant. Tales of vesperia was the only true flopping JRPG this lately (Which is ****ing messed up considering it deserves much better.) Not to mention Vesperia's European release will also enhance sales, at least by 50-100k, most likely by 100k or more. By then it will at least have sold 300k in Japan and america combined, getting at least a pathetic 350-400k overall and at best 500k. So about as much as the spinoff may sell, probably a bit less.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

The game is one week away from being released and there's already damage control. Just stop for fkuc's sake.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

indodude said:
Shadowblind said:
indodude said:
Shadowblind said:

I'm seeing a 113,274 first 3 days. After that, it will go on to sell a healthy 146,373 in its first week. Won't be too bad. I still have a bit of faith in the game.

How'd you end up with those numbers?

LMAO!

OT: I still have fait in a 200K+ opening week.

4 ≈ One

Soriku said:
Shadowblind said:
Aiemond said:
Soriku said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:

@mummel

@STAGE

I'm sorry, but Lost Odyssey's 810k and Blue Dragon's 520k sales aren't going anywhere. TLR reached 300k in 3 weeks only. Even Infinite Undiscovery sold decently considering its hype was non-existant. Tales of vesperia was the only true flopping JRPG this lately (Which is ****ing messed up considering it deserves much better.) Not to mention Vesperia's European release will also enhance sales, at least by 50-100k, most likely by 100k or more. By then it will at least have sold 300k in Japan and america combined, getting at least a pathetic 350-400k overall and at best 500k.

Those had MS's backing though. Tales and DQS didn't have any ads besides Japan.

Eh...

'Course Vesperia didn't even have Namco's backing, so I'm greatful it even passed 100k in NA. I didn't even think they had shipped 100,000 copies based on how at best I can only find 1 copy per store or less -_-;. I think DQS sold so well only because of Japan though. It sold only 240k in the Am states which isn't particularly impressive considering its user base. Spinoff and whatnot.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.