By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Aaaaaargh. College (University) was a complete waste of time for me.

I just completed a Commerce degree undergraduate major in accounting. Waste of time people, unless you know people in that field.

I now understand the college degree I have just completed was a complete waste of time. All work places want a minimum of 12 to 18 months experience in accounting along with the degree as a minimum. Preferrably firms want a graduate with 2 to 3 years experience in the field for any entry level job in accounting including graduate jobs.

Colleges and Universities are businesses and they sell these  Business courses to people promising the world. Lots of people complete the courses and end up no where except a life time of debt. The current way the economy has changed will result in firms being reluctant to take on and train graduates in accounting, banking and finance sectors that are experiencing a huge down turn.

"It is not want you know, it is who you know"

I guess I will be stuck doing some crap unskilled low paid jobs including: storeman, cleaning, factory or labouring job for the rest of my life. Life is a bitch.

Rant/ bitching over.

Around the Network

A low level low paying job in that field shouldn't be hard to find, maybe its just the area you live in. Regardless, you should check with your parents or any older folks with good friends who might be able to find you an in.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

I personally have also found that business want experience not just qualifications. Why is getting a good job so dam difficult. Still, as someone once said, life is one big shit sandwich and we all gotta take a bite.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

While I agree that the who you know is a major part, it's not everything.

It's one of those things you just have to accept that you have to take some shit jobs right out of college.

Did you really think you were going to land your dream job day one? Hell, I graduated with a degree in computer science and a minor math and guess what job I was lucky enough to find after graduation: Geek Squad at Best Buy.

My wife graduated with degrees in computer science, math, and English. You know what job she was able to find straight out of college? Retail at The Gap.  After that she suffered through a temp agency for a while to get things at least somewhat related to her field (she originally planned to be a technical writer, now she's a project manager) and now, 3 years later, she's finally has the experience to start getting the good jobs.

You just have to grit your teeth and work at it. You'll have 2-3 years of shit but you'll eventually get that base experience so you can get good jobs.

Or you could just go for your masters. You still have to go through shit jobs but you can at least get better shit jobs.

Go to law school. After you get a degree that's always a sweet option. I plan on getting a undergraduate's degree(political science), and I want to go to law school afterwards. Also, if I only wanted to do PS I can be a Lobbyist. :)

Around the Network

Um, so I guess none of the academic advisers ever mentioned anything about internships, graduate degrees, or professional degrees... too bad.

More jobs for people who PAID ATTENTION!

I'm PoliSci (from a pretty good school, but not great), lots of my peers have gone on to the State Department and the UN. You know why? Internships. They worked, went to school and worked 10-20 hours a week for free, got on the job training and proved they had the constitution and hutzbah.

y0ungK!d is completely wrong, law school is not for people who just decide to go there because they got nothing better to do. Why put yourself through the stress of law school, go get an MBA, get your master's in accounting and become a CPA (or equivalent), or take a shitty job and do that internship you should have started 2 years ago.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

^ I didn't mean it like that. I want to go to law school, but I know it isn't for everyone. However, it is a good option for people who do like law. And law school isn't as stressful if you have a interest in law. For example, my aunt's a lawyer and she enjoyed law school;however, one of my cousins hated it, so much so, she dropped out in less than a year. It depends on a person's drive and interest for law. And you do PS? How is it? Are you a lobbist? Are you being paid well?

False! My Computer Science degree is already getting me awesome jobs and I'm not even finished with it. Depends in what your degree really is.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

y0ungK!d said:

^ I didn't mean it like that. I want to go to law school, but I know it isn't for everyone. However, it is a good option for people who do like law. And law school isn't as stressful if you have a interest in law. For example, my aunt's a lawyer and she enjoyed law school;however, one of my cousins hated it, so much so, she dropped out in less than a year. It depends on a person's drive and interest for law. And you do PS? How is it? Are you a lobbist? Are you being paid well?

No, I'm a student and (assistant) manage a hotel.  More accurately I goto Rollins for International Affairs, focusing on PoliSci...I usually say pre-law or PoliSci because when I say International Affairs people have no idea what I'm talking about and I don't really care to explain it each time.

Many of my friends who have graduated work in a related job.  The ones who work for political organizations don't make shit.  You don't go into government or public work for the money... You go into it for the benefits and job security or because it's the only thing you can (or want) to do.  Most continue(d) to work on their Master's.

I want to go to law school too.  My grades sucked, but I did well on the LSAT and now I've been offered a bunch of scholarships.  My tip to you.  Practice the LSAT, a lot, and then practice it some more.

A couple VGChartsterz are in Law School, keep an eye out for them, they helped me a lot.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Take a shit job, do some stuff for free, whatevers needed. I did a bloody free video gig for a uni I don't even attend just because they gave me a reference. Don't think of the degree as worthless, you gained knowledge, knowledge is power at the end of the day. You just need to do some field work to pad out your resume.