By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Western Publishers are struggling

theRepublic said:
naznatips said:

It's not as simple as "let's just make everything on Wii and it will be all sunshine and daisies" either.  World at War bombed on Wii.  Someday it may recover sales, but it will take a long time, and shooters will never sell as well on Wii as they do on the HD consoles and PC.  And here we have the problem: Western developers don't know how to make anything else anymore.  If it's not a shooter it's a bloody action game.  If it's not a bloody action game it's a bloody action RPG.  If it's not a bloody action RPG it bombs (Poor Prince of Persia). 

Publishers are screwed. The developers they employ can only make a certain style of game that happens to cost out the ass and not sell enough to make up for it.  How can they scrap their whole staff and start over?  What can they really do?  You talk about Japanese publishers having no influence, but you're completely wrong.  Japanese publishers are the ones who will still be around in a decade. What good does it do you to sell millions now if you are a dead company in 5 years?  Gaming is a business, and those who know how to stay in business are the ones that will matter in the future.

Oh, I agree, although I probably didn't make it too clear.

The problem that I see on the HD consoles, is that everything that gets made is almost forced into being a graphical powerhouse.  Without the pretty screenshots, these games have no hype and don't sell.  Even if they do have the pretty screenshots, they need to hope that they don't get lost in the shuffle of the big name franchises.  It seems like everyone is trying to make a big budget blockbuster.  The industry can't survive like that.  There needs to be a lot of low to mid budget games to support those big blockbusters.  Those games don't exist on the HD consoles, and I don't seem them ever being made, or selling, given a userbase that is so graphically obsessed.

I don't see that as a problem for the Wii.  The bar is set lower graphically, so much smaller budgets can make an average looking Wii game, and it doesn't take as much effort to really stand out if you have the budget.  Lower development costs have meant that niche games can and do make money.  That's what we really need.  Profitable games.

I just don't see 360 and PS3 fans accepting lower budget games for the sake of profitablity.  They have been spoiled by an unsustainable business model.

That's a very good way to put it and quite insightful I believe.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
naznatips said:

It's not as simple as "let's just make everything on Wii and it will be all sunshine and daisies" either.  World at War bombed on Wii.  Someday it may recover sales, but it will take a long time, and shooters will never sell as well on Wii as they do on the HD consoles and PC.  And here we have the problem: Western developers don't know how to make anything else anymore.  If it's not a shooter it's a bloody action game.  If it's not a bloody action game it's a bloody action RPG.  If it's not a bloody action RPG it bombs (Poor Prince of Persia). 

Publishers are screwed. The developers they employ can only make a certain style of game that happens to cost out the ass and not sell enough to make up for it.  How can they scrap their whole staff and start over?  What can they really do?  You talk about Japanese publishers having no influence, but you're completely wrong.  Japanese publishers are the ones who will still be around in a decade. What good does it do you to sell millions now if you are a dead company in 5 years?  Gaming is a business, and those who know how to stay in business are the ones that will matter in the future.

Since a good bit of this post was responding to me, I'm going to respond to it.

You're right, it's not as simple as "let's just make everything on Wii and it will be all sunshine and daisies." No one in this thread said that (as far as I can see). Successful companies today are as such because they have a highly casual strategy (Nintendo, Sega, Activision, Ubisoft). World at War bombed on the Wii because the last iteration wasn't on the Wii (the one that made the series as popular as it is) and at first, it had no marketing. The hype that carried over from Call of Duty 4 to 5 was almost entirely PS3/360/PC, which explains why the PS2 version is also bombing. Besides, if The Wii (And DS, PS2, etc.) have taught us anything, it's that you can't judge a game by its first couple weeks. If you need some examples, I could give you quite a few.

By the way, how long you will be around doesn't have any effect on how much influence you have. One oak tree will have a longer lifespan than all the grass in the world, but I assure you that the grass will have a far greater influence over the ecosystem than the tree. Besides, how will most of the western developers we see today be dead in 5 years? The ones who will be dead are the ones who AREN'T selling millions of copies. Companies like Midway, Atari, Eidos, etc. have been in financial danger for a long time now, and the higher development costs/weakening economy have sent them over the tipping point. Good riddance, I say. These companies have also been around for a long time as well. Many of these western companies that are struggling have been around for many years and will continue to be around for many years.

It's not like western developers are the only ones struggling anyways. Nearly every Japanese company has merged with another and shared their IPs just to stay alive. Konami is pretty much the biggest Japanese developer, and the main reason they're successful is because most of what they release is music and sports games (which goes back to my earlier point). Sega has been struggling to make profit even with the huge success they've had this generation. How do you think smaller developers like Square Enix and Capcom are doing? They've likely been surviving off spinoffs and moneyhats.

First of all, your analogy has to be one of the worst analogies I've ever seen. Ever. It deserves awards for not being remotely relevant.  A working analogy would be two car companies are selling cars.  Car company A sells 1 million cars a year at a loss. Car company B sells 500,000 cars a year at a profit.  Ten years later, none of those 1 million cars exist anymore, and car company A is out of business. Car company B's 500,000 cars are still selling though, and will continue to do so in the future. As the only car company remaining, they either get the business of company A, or the industry shrinks.  Either way their sales are not affected. The investors who invested in car company A went bankrupt, and the company is gone.  The investors who invested in car company B made money over a period of time, and are financially stable. 

That is the current state of the games industry. 

Also, Sega is a great example... of what's happening to western developers.  You want to see what happened to Sega spend a few minutes looking through their financial statements, and look at the sales of their big HD games.  There's a reason they aren't making many HD games anymore...

@ psrock: Links about Japanese developers not making as good of games or as innovative of games or using technology to its advantage are 100% meaningless.  We aren't talking about what they're making, we're talking about if they have a sustainable business model, which they do.

i wonder how sega wii games will sell

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

You could take PS2 to PS3 as an example. Sony got massive revenue from PS2 but in developing for PS3 that added up to lots of expenses. Why? Sony tried too put too much too quickly. Some people agreed that PS3 should have waited for one more year to be released (this would have been market share suicide in my opinion) but still time is the factor here.

Everything just advanced too much not just graphical advancement (which takes loads of money to develop) but features too. As other posts have said, you need those shiny hot real-life graphics to even be noticed in this gen (xbox and PS3 mainly of course) but people want more. Technical advancement is too much (AI and physics for hundreds of enemies), everything in a game is too complicated, features like achievements for everything and huge multi-player. Things are just going to cost more and more along with each advancement.

But time is the factor, Sony could have waited until hardware parts are cheaper like game companies could have waited until getting into top-end technologies is cheaper. What if next-gen Xbox has a console that allows for many more features in games and close to real-life graphics- Companies would need to develop for that and the costs might be staggering.

the problem is Nintendo is so great at it, it will take these guys years to get close to ninty standards.

And the biggest obstacle : the gaming press and the internet.

Look at all the whining about the God of wAR trailer. The focus wasnt how insane the gameplay was, but how bad the graphic was.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
naznatips said:
MontanaHatchet said:
naznatips said:

Since a good bit of this post was responding to me, I'm going to respond to it.

You're right, it's not as simple as "let's just make everything on Wii and it will be all sunshine and daisies." No one in this thread said that (as far as I can see). Successful companies today are as such because they have a highly casual strategy (Nintendo, Sega, Activision, Ubisoft). World at War bombed on the Wii because the last iteration wasn't on the Wii (the one that made the series as popular as it is) and at first, it had no marketing. The hype that carried over from Call of Duty 4 to 5 was almost entirely PS3/360/PC, which explains why the PS2 version is also bombing. Besides, if The Wii (And DS, PS2, etc.) have taught us anything, it's that you can't judge a game by its first couple weeks. If you need some examples, I could give you quite a few.

By the way, how long you will be around doesn't have any effect on how much influence you have. One oak tree will have a longer lifespan than all the grass in the world, but I assure you that the grass will have a far greater influence over the ecosystem than the tree. Besides, how will most of the western developers we see today be dead in 5 years? The ones who will be dead are the ones who AREN'T selling millions of copies. Companies like Midway, Atari, Eidos, etc. have been in financial danger for a long time now, and the higher development costs/weakening economy have sent them over the tipping point. Good riddance, I say. These companies have also been around for a long time as well. Many of these western companies that are struggling have been around for many years and will continue to be around for many years.

It's not like western developers are the only ones struggling anyways. Nearly every Japanese company has merged with another and shared their IPs just to stay alive. Konami is pretty much the biggest Japanese developer, and the main reason they're successful is because most of what they release is music and sports games (which goes back to my earlier point). Sega has been struggling to make profit even with the huge success they've had this generation. How do you think smaller developers like Square Enix and Capcom are doing? They've likely been surviving off spinoffs and moneyhats.

First of all, your analogy has to be one of the worst analogies I've ever seen. Ever. It deserves awards for not being remotely relevant.  A working analogy would be two car companies are selling cars.  Car company A sells 1 million cars a year at a loss. Car company B sells 500,000 cars a year at a profit.  Ten years later, none of those 1 million cars exist anymore, and car company A is out of business. Car company B's 500,000 cars are still selling though, and will continue to do so in the future. As the only car company remaining, they either get the business of company A, or the industry shrinks.  Either way their sales are not affected. The investors who invested in car company A went bankrupt, and the company is gone.  The investors who invested in car company B made money over a period of time, and are financially stable. 

That is the current state of the games industry. 

Also, Sega is a great example... of what's happening to western developers.  You want to see what happened to Sega spend a few minutes looking through their financial statements, and look at the sales of their big HD games.  There's a reason they aren't making many HD games anymore...

@ psrock: Links about Japanese developers not making as good of games or as innovative of games or using technology to its advantage are 100% meaningless.  We aren't talking about what they're making, we're talking about if they have a sustainable business model, which they do.

Yeah, it wasn't made to be completely relevant. It was meant to be vaguely relevant. But if half of your argument is going to be how much my analogy sucked, you could have made it a footnote instead. I could easily argue how poor your analogy is as well. If we're arguing car sales in proportion to software sales, there are a lot more factors involved than just the sales of the car/game. Electronic Arts sells more software than Activision most weeks, but EA is losing tons of money whereas Activision is making tons. A lot of this comes down to the profit being made by each game, not how much the games are selling. If Activision can sell millions of copies of Guitar Hero World Tour, and every version makes them a good profit margin, they're certainly doing better than Rock Band or EA's budget priced games.

Sega didn't find success on the HD platforms. Some of this is bad luck, but a lot of it is a complete failure to understand the demographics of those two systems. The highest selling Sega game on the PS3 is Virtua Fighter 5. While 500k is respectable, it likely wasn't enough for a profit. This is Sega's fault for releasing one of the most Japanese oriented fighters on a platform that is struggling in Japan (though, to be fair, they probably began development before the PS3 launch). The highest selling Sega game on the 360 (not counting the bundled Sega Superstars Tennis) is Sonic the Hedgehog, which sold a million copies (if European sales were updated). Pretty good sales, especialy when Sonic is stronger on Nintendo platforms and the game itself was mediocre. Sega found tons of success on the Gamecube last generation, and that was the weakest system on the market. Condemned 2 sold over a million combined on the HD platforms, which is a great improvement over the first game's sales of .45 million (on the other hand, it was a 360 launch title and the second one had lots of advertising).

disolitude said:
Is it going to be 1983 all over again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

If so then good riddance. Maybe the shovelware and endless deluge of uninspired sequels would stop and Microsoft and Sony would possibly adopt more sustainable business practices once the market recovers.

woopah said:
i wonder how sega wii games will sell

Mee to.

Most of your arguments are good, especially Naznatips'. But I still think you're concentrating too much on high development costs instead of thinking about milking franchises too. Remember what we heard about High Voltage's search for a publisher. Everyone wanted to get the game out as fast as possible in order to make some money, instead of taking enough time to polish it and make it a huge seller.
Remember also that EA apparently is stopping their Need for Speed series which was a huge seller only one gen ago, but it's overdone now. Now add high development costs to franchises that are not selling as well as expected anymore and to others that are not popular yet and a mentality to get a game out in time no matter how bad it is and you get the reason why western publishers are struggling.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

They're struggling but they're not dead yet.
I won't repeat what I already said I expect to happen given their behaviour, but this thread just sets a milestone.
And I say good riddance too if they die, they'll have only themselves to blame.