By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - question for Bodhesatva (or anyone else in retail)

Today is the "official" price drop of the 360.  I'm curious as to what happens in your store...  Are your customers well informed?  Did they know the drop was coming beforehand or were they surprised?  How aware are they of technical issues with the 360 (outside of any information you provide them)?

I'm curious as to how potential 360 customers are greeting the 360 price drop compared to the PS3 price drop which seemed to have a pretty positive effect on sales. 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I don't work in retail or anything, but I was at Gamestop today in a fairly large mall. Nobody was in the store at all besides me for a span of about 15-20 mins. This doesn't mean the 360 isn't selling better or anything, just thought I would chime in.

Note: They did have the new 360 price tagged on the boxes in the front display.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Microsoft didn't really "push" the price drop very hard IMHO. I'm wondering if the whole $50 price cut and soft peddle is just for them to create enough momentum to clear the current lot of systems in the channel and get the falcons out before the holidays. Maybe so, maybe not, but they didn't seem to make much of a big deal out of it.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Yeah, I figured I would have seen a separate sign in the store about it or something, but I didn't. I was at Best Buy yesterday, but they didn't have the price drop in effect yet, so I don't know how it changed things there.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I thought they would've at least made a commercial for it. Just to get the word out.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

The weird part is that Amazon dropped the price of Forza 2 $20 and it's #1. Thats kinda funny. But no it doesn't seem that the 360 price drop is doing anything for sales. Costumers look at the $20 as retaliation for Sony's discounting and $100 mark down for the 60GB PS3.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Where I work, it was actually quite a shock. We Canadians are getting a $100 price drop on the Forza Bundle. Personally I was expecting a $50-$75 drop so I was quite surprised.  Also the pricing take effect on remaining GRAW/XLA Unplugged bundles as well.

We got the info via an internal price reduction form, that is broken down into different sections of the electronics department. Right at the top of the Microsoft portion was the 360.

There are only 3 of our 12 electronics staff that are actually up to date with videogames anyway. The other 9 others could really care less.

It will be advertised in the upcoming flyer (for Zellers btw), so customers will know that the price for the unit has been reduced.  So this weekend we should sell a few more units, and a few angry customers who just fecently bought their unit for $100 more.

Goddbless said:
I thought they would've at least made a commercial for it. Just to get the word out.

Yea no kidding i see tons of posters in front of every gaming store in town showing 100 off ps3, so i think eventually the -50 for premium will show up but its only half the deal compared to ps3.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Frasman

The drop was huge for us because the price was 50 dollar higher than what it was supposed. With the value of the US $ we were supposed to have the 360 at 449.99 $ CAN and not 499.99 $, They have made profits on the back of all canadians owning the 360.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

And no, the price drop doesn't change the situation in our store, we are still selling 2 360 per weeks, 2 PS3 per weeks and 6 or 8 Wii per weeks.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft