By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Global Warming. Fact or fiction??

Global Warming... fact.

Man made global warming... more likely then not.... fiction.

Man made global warming persists the same reason Fruedian psychoanalysts are still around.

The people who proport it have put to much time and education it... and otherwise are going to waste all their training, like lose their jobs and instead work at a Wal-mart.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Tyrannical said:

Roughly 1200-1600 AD glaciers increased, 1600-1850 AD fairly stable, afterwards glacial shrinking.

The Earth goes through cooling and warming periods. (real) Scientists aren't sure why, though there are theories. A fairly likely one is the heat from the Sun is not constant, and it varies over periods of several centuries.

So you are basically saying it's comin out of a mini ice age.

I say there are many things. Now if it is coming out of an ice age, surely this means the planet is warming up? Like the entire world on a global scale is warming up.

Yes, I am saying we are coming out of a mini ice age and the Earth is probably getting warmer.

And when I say I don't beleive in global warming / climate change I am referring to the caused by manmade  CO2 emissions alarmist theory that seems so popular these days.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:
The Fury said:
Tyrannical said:

Roughly 1200-1600 AD glaciers increased, 1600-1850 AD fairly stable, afterwards glacial shrinking.

The Earth goes through cooling and warming periods. (real) Scientists aren't sure why, though there are theories. A fairly likely one is the heat from the Sun is not constant, and it varies over periods of several centuries.

I say there are many things. Now if it is coming out of an ice age, surely this means the planet is warming up? Like the entire world on a global scale is warming up.

Yes, I am saying we are coming out of a mini ice age and the Earth is probably getting warmer.

And when I say I don't beleive in global warming / climate change I am referring to the caused by manmade CO2 emissions alarmist theory that seems so popular these days.

Then say that, say you don't believe the problem is man made. Global Warming or Climate change is occuring. Causes unknown but to be honest, the simplest and easiest answer to say is this, everything is responsible from Volcanoes, mini ice age, CO2 emissions and cows farting. Each plays it's part, it's just to what effect and how much is unknown.

But that doesn't mean we should carry on as we currently are with CO2 emissions and the burning of fossil fuels.

Hmm, pie.

No, the simpilest and easiest answer is that it's caused by variations in the amount of energy the Sun gives off. CO2 has nothing to do with it.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:
The Fury said:
Tyrannical said:

And when I say I don't beleive in global warming / climate change I am referring to the caused by manmade  CO2 emissions alarmist theory that seems so popular these days.

*applauds.* This is correct!

There are also fifteen-or-so-year warming/cooling periods as well. Much more minor, but they also happen.

Easiest proof? Check historical average highs and lows for each year and dates going back for the past hundred years. You'll see a pattern of fluctuations.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

I believe in it with a BIG STIPULATION attached to it...

I believe that the Earth naturally cools and warms on cycles, but that we as human beings have very little affect on this cycle.

It was already proven that in the movie, "An Inconvenient Truth", some of the key interviewees left out crucial details of data such as the cooling trend during the "mini-ice age" that spanned from from sometime in the 13th century until the 19th century.

Leaving out this data gives a false sense of the true global temperature trends that are needed to come to a true consensus.

With that being said, air and water pollution are severe problems.. not because of a global warming trend, but due to the fact we have to breathe the air and drink the water. Therefore, I am an environmentalist, but only as long as it's not centered in the false accusation that we humans have the ability to change the global temperature, which is simply never been scientifically proven.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Several factors contribute to global climate change, and all of them have a varying degree of affect. Man-made greenhouse gases and volcanic eruptions certainly play a part of this. Personally, what I believe to be true is that the single biggest factor that determines global climate trends is activity on the sun's surface. The sun is after all where virtually 100% of our energy originates. Sunspots are areas of lower temperatures, which a period of a lot of sunspots could easily cause the Earth to receive less energy over a period of time. I don't know if this has been shown at all scientifically but it makes sense to me. Here are some other random thoughts of mine on the subject:

-It is impossible to say whether or not man-made emissions are the most significant factor in climate change, regardless of what the media and Al Gore says. It is just not good science to make that conclusion based on so little data. Clearly there is an agenda these people have other than truly trying to find the cause. Why else would so many reputable scientists jump ship?

-They like to cherry-pick data. Conveniently not mentioned is the finding that from Jan 07 to Jan 08, global temperatures actually declined, and erased the increases made from the past 100 years. Who knows if that's actually true or not, but it has to have the same validity that negative statistics have.

-Logically, how could you think that the CO2 emissions from cars and factories is a significant source of CO2 overall? This amount is dwarfed by the 4.5 billion people on the planet breathing, and not to mention the countless other animals.

-Say global warming could be controlled by man. Don't you think that increasing temperatures would actually have more benefits than cons? Milder winters would mean less energy costs in the winter, and there are many other benefits that are conveniently never mentioned. Only the negatives are mentioned by the media.

as long as I dont go under water. im happy
I live below sea level

rocketpig said:

Yes, so we should all try to cut pollution, hurting economies and people across the world, and watch the Earth continue to warm because that's what you think. I'm not going to listen to a former chair of Harvard who was ousted because of his politically incorrect ideas, I'm going to look at some mountains and form my own theory based on that.

Few people argue the validity of climate change. What many respected scientists are arguing is that it's a natural cycle.

So, in your perfect world, what happens if we drastically change our consumption, build alternative energies, fight pollution at every corner, and the planet continues to warm? At that point, you're the one who fucked our children by dedicating massive resources to something that didn't affect a damned thing in the end.

Find out what is causing it. Give dissenting scientists the money to prove their own findings. GET DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS.

Politicizing science is no different than what astronomers fought since the organization of the Catholic church... and look at how far that shit set us back as a functional race.

In a thermal system as large as the entire earth, the settling time is on the order of years and decades.  That means that the effect of anything that we do now will not be seen for a many years.

Any decision we make now will have the biggest impact on the next generation.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Kasz216 said:

Global Warming... fact.

Man made global warming... more likely then not.... fiction.

Man made global warming persists the same reason Fruedian psychoanalysts are still around.

The people who proport it have put to much time and education it... and otherwise are going to waste all their training, like lose their jobs and instead work at a Wal-mart.

Don't hate on Freudianism.  Freudianism has completely changed since it was introduced and has branched into much more well-thought out and less arbitrary schools of though, like the Lacan school of Freudianism and the followers of Carl Jung, both of which are in many ways completely different than Freudianism proper.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson