By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War 3 Will Have Four Times The Texture Resolution

LordTheNightKnight said:
"if any of you've played god of war you'll know that it's some of the best textures ever to be found on the ps2 system. So 4 times that should be pretty neat."

But this is supposed to be the PS3.

Doesn't matter.

Take this

Add a bunch of effects and polygons.. and voila, you have a current gen game.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
I wonder if this game can actually outsell the PS2 versions.

I hope it does, 1 million first week.

Just like to point out, when you *double* the texture resolution of 512x512 to 1024x1024, you are already using 4x the texture memory, given the bpp are equal.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Tyrannical said:

God of War 3 will use a custom game engine that delivers four times the texture resolution of its predecessor.

So, basicly Sony just announced it's a 720p game.

480p = 480*640 = 307k pixels

720p = 720x1280 = 921k pixels

Though according to my math, it only uses 3 times as many.

First, 480p is 640x480, not 480x640. The same goes for 720p (1280x720 instead of 720x1280). It's ALWAYS the horizonal number first and only then the vertical number. Second, you're wrong. A game's resolution isn't the same as its textures' resolution.

I wonder if they mean the size of the textures or how large they are... Well, I guess that's a bad way to put it. What I mean is: have they made four times larger textures (e.g. 256x256 -> 1024x1024; each side would be four times as long) or is the total number of pixels four times bigger (e.g. 256x256 = 65536 -> 512x512 = 262144).

hotrodx said:
Just like to point out, when you *double* the texture resolution of 512x512 to 1024x1024, you are already using 4x the texture memory, given the bpp are equal.

yep, 4 times the texture resolution is a lot actually :p

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

If they use 4 times the texture resolution, it means they are using 16 times the texture memory.

I think this is more likely what they mean. Because just using 4 times more texture memory (compared to PS2) is just underwhelming.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

So basically, this article throws a bunch of meaningless numbers out there that no one really seems to understand. Maybe they were trying to make up for all the negative reactions to that trailer.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

So, basicly Sony just announced it's a 720p game.

Sigh we really should do a basic course on 3D graphic technology sometimes to enhance the discussion level.

So basically, this article throws a bunch of meaningless numbers out there that no one really seems to understand.

What is not to understand for 4 times the texture resolutions. Textures are the bitmaps that are mapped onto the 3D objects in the scene and have nothing to do with screen resolution. Apparently objects will now have 4 times the texels per area that the previous GoW games had.

Which seems a little bit low to me after all the VRAM of the Ps3 is more like 10 times the VRAM of the Ps2 so you would expect a similar enhancement.

But rest assured this is neither a meaningless number nor do people not understand it (outside this thread of course).

Kyros said:
So basically, this article throws a bunch of meaningless numbers out there that no one really seems to understand.

What is not to understand for 4 times the texture resolutions. Textures are the bitmaps that are mapped onto the 3D objects in the scene and have nothing to do with screen resolution. Apparently objects will now have 4 times the texels per area that the previous GoW games had.

Which seems a little bit low to me after all the VRAM of the Ps3 is more like 10 times the VRAM of the Ps2 so you would expect a similar enhancement.

But rest assured this is neither a meaningless number nor do people not understand it (outside this thread of course).

Well, it may not seem meaningless to you, but as you can see from all the reactions to this thread, a lot of people don't have a clue as to what it means.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046