By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Other sales are up

All numbers are impressive given the current economic state. Will the wiis run out before Christmas, and the DS'es for that matter. I don't see shipped figures and I presume the units will be airfreighted but the numbers being sold seem to out-strip production, especially the 2.4m wiis per month

Around the Network
Tremble said:
No, it's not. As said before, there was a huge price cut for the ps3 last year at the same time.

I'm talking more of the worldwide trend. Japan and Americas will show a decline as well.

NintendoMonopoly said:

Damn! The Wii and DS are flying up in market share, right now. It looks like the Wii could pass the PSP, this week. Definitely, before the end of the year. You have to laugh, at the people who said, Ninty would be doing bad during the holidays, because of their line-up or the recession. It's not like that was a long time ago, either. It was early this month. What can I say? The doubters love to be proven completely wrong, on regular basis.

Yeah, it could! I was thinking that would have to wait until next week.

DS has outsold the psp by 50 million now

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

All I can say is the DS is a beast!

And also the Wii is likely passing the PSP in sales this week once everything else is in!

PC Gamer
Around the Network

7.1 million lead for the 360

Oyvoyvoyv said:
badgenome said:
DS says, "WTF is market saturation?"

The DS is nowhere near market saturation.

If you say half the people in a family with Ps2 played it, that means you have over 70M potential DS owners in western Europe, and then perhaps 20M in the rest of the world (save for Americas + Japan).

More realistically though, 50M in western Europe. So the possible range for the DS varies from 60-90M I guess (Others).

Milestones:

X360 passes 3M in the United Kingdom! ~ 1/6 families now own it!

Even in Japan where 1/5 of japanese people own a DS, market isn't saturated yet. Imagine if 1/5 of NA and Europe own a DS too. NA (USA+Canada) is around 340 M + Europe (charted countries) is around 400 M = 740 M.

Now 1/5 of 740 M = 148 millions and I didn't count Other.

my only worry for the PS3 is that it is being heavily discounted in the UK but still can't get near Xbox. 80g plus 4 games (LBP, Fifa, Resistance & Motorstorm) all for £280 but still bringing up the rear...

DS is just insane. It deserves it though.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Yojimbo said:
Hawkeye said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
NJ5 said:

Same week last year:

DS: 752k
Wii: 342k
360: 176k
PS3: 277k
PSP: 216k
PS2: 260k

Differences to this year:

DS: +22%
Wii: +86%
360: +93%
PS3: -27%
PSP: -7%
PS2: -44%

Pretty much mirrors the american trends, besides the 360 which has seen very small growth in the states.

PS3 holiday sales are down YoY... this is what I was trying to say in my thread, but no one understood.

Do you mean PS3 have sold less units 2008 then 2007 or do you just mean christmas period?

Oh. Its my own fault then. I meant in the Xmas period, but I typed YoY. I meant Year over year, the holiday sales are down.