By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
tabsina said:
Dgc1808 said:
Go SONY!!

I think the DS outsold "Bottled Water" this week....

That isn't a fair comparison, Bottled Water is under supply constraints in Australia

ROFL

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Tremble said:
BTW, the PS3 cross the 18M!

At the track, that would be prefaced with "And falling further back..."

WiiStation360 said:
Passenger57 said:
KatinJin said:
Console PS3 X360
Total 9,231,204 9,312,706

So, it's official.

360 FTW

For all the doom and gloom for the PS3, and praise for the 360, they are seperated by only 0.8% for the year.

That's why the numbers need to be taken in context.

Last year, the 360 had a decent year, and the PS3 a terrible one, but Sony turned it around in the last quarter, and was heading in the rightdirection.

This year, the trend has reversed itself. The 360 had dramtically increased its sales, while the PS3 is slumping. The momentum is goingin the "wrong" direction.

blazinhead89 said:
Skeeuk said:
dhummel said:
Skeeuk said:
NJ5 said:
luisgvm said:
all consoles are doing great and thats good for us gamers.

No they are not. This is the second holiday season for the PS3 in Europe and it's down from last year. No matter how optimistic one is, that can't be seen as great.

last holiday saw a major price cut for ps3, combined with price situation this fall, its no suprise ps3 is lower than it could have been. i would say ps3 sales are admirable considering its price and consumer spending-holdbacks. if wii or 360 were that price i doubt they would even reach half of that.

360 sales are very good its up from last year due to its price, its the cheapest out there, and wii well nothing can touch the wii at the moment.

This is such a junk argument, and I see it everywhere. The reason the 360 and Wii wouldn't sell at $400 is because they are not offering 400$ worth of hardware. Simple. Its the same reason that the PS3 would sell like hotcakes at the 360 price point. The fact is that each console is priced differently, according to what it offers. You can't just interchange the prioces and the console the prices go to. It honestly sounds like damage control for the PS3, claiming that people are only buying the 360 and Wii because of price.

to your 1st point: its not a junk argument at all, i was just making a point that ps3 is selling that much at that current price point. because it could have been much lower given the situation on pricing.

to your 2nd point: theres no damage control at all, why was ps3 selling more than 360 during year even though 360 was cheaper? now that 360 is much much more cheaper, it would be hard for a gift buyer this fall to buy a ps3 over a 360 in a general sence.

imo people are buying the 360 more because of price, its clearly obvious.

Agreed with Skeeuk.

@skeeuk

You were not "just making a point" about anything. I bolded the sentence where you clearly make a supposition. Even if that sentence wasn't in there, you say it is "admirable" how the PS3 is selling. This is also clearly a value judgment and an indicator where you stand.

Your response to my second point isn't even clear (maybe blazinhead89 can help out since he apparently agrees). "In a general sence [sic]" tells me nothing about why the 360 is selling more this holiday season. There is obviously a mindset that the value per dollar for the 360 is better than the PS3. There are a million things people could spend 200-400$ dollars on this holiday season, but many of them are choosing to buy a 360. It has nothing to with a price that you can interchange and claim that the PS3 would sell well at also. Of course it would, because it would have more vaue per dollar because its parts cost more to manufacture and provide newer technologies (bluray). Similarly, the 360 and Wii would obviously sell less at 400 dollars because they do not include the more expensive parts or newer technologies. This is why I say you are damage controlling. You act as if each console sells just based on its proce tag, regardless of product, and then deem the 360 atractive only for its superficial price tag and fail to look at value per dollar. It is value per dollar, which is different for each console.

The 360 was selling less before the price cut because its hardware and offering was not valued at 300$ or whatever it was at. Compare what you get for 300 dolars in an Xbox hardware wise to 400$ for a PS3 and people chose the PS3. At 200$ the value per dollar rises and the PS3's value per dollar goes below the 360. Do you think if the PS3 included a free TV for 400$ it wouln't sell? Of course it would, not because of some superficial price (because the price would stay the same ) but because of the consumer realizing the value per dollar was better than the 360.

So stop claiming, as you did, that people buy based on price. They buy based on what they think they are getting out of the product.

tabsina said:
Dgc1808 said:
Go SONY!!

That isn't a fair comparison, Bottled Water is under supply constraints in Australia

Really? lol

Around the Network

Biggest increase Year over Year = Xbox360!
+93%

Good job Microsoft!

My Gaming Setup

indodude said:
tabsina said:
Dgc1808 said:
Go SONY!!

Really? lol

Yep, we are in a "Stage 3a Drought", in Victoria at least, not sure about the other states, I wasn't joking :)

It's pretty clear from this thread that a lot of people don't want to take the time of year into account when looking at the sales numbers. The sales numbers for the PS3 are terrible for this time of the year, although they'd be considered very good during July.

@tabsina N.S.W has been in a drought for years aswell. Thats what we get for living in a country thats mostly desert...

thanks for clarifying, figured as much