By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Family angry because supermarket won't inscribe cake to son, Adolf Hitler

mrjuju said:
rocketpig said:

The parents might be bigots, racists, and completely fucking stupid, but where is the ACLU in situations like this?

That organization used to actually stand for something... Now it's just a liberalist agenda bullshit group that covers the people it likes and ignores those it doesn't... It's been years since I saw them fight for someone whose rights were being infringed upon and who also happened to be an ignorant, racist fucktard. They're a long way from the days of Skokie, Illinois vs. Neo-Nazis.

/end rant on ACLU.

Businesses do have the right to serve whom they please and how, but basing it from a name alone is sketchy, at best.

You may think these people are horrible for naming their kids what they did and for having the beliefs they do - but they deserve the same rights as anyone else. Would you look so kindly on that Shop-Rite if they started refusing to make birthday cakes for kids with Muslim names?

If you see a difference... I have a question to ask you. Who made you judge, jury, and executioner on other peoples' beliefs? Just curious.

The ACLU isn't involved because no one's rights have been infringed upon. There is no legal "Right to Cake Naming" in the constitution, nor any law on the books that states that a store or bakery has to serve anyone who walks through their doors (all stores have the ability to refuse service, most never do, but the rule is there nonetheless).

The state allowed these chowderheads to name their kids what could be the most idiotic names I have ever heard (celebrity kid names included), no one has told them they can't be Aryan Nation propagandists, no one is taking their kids away, so how can you come to the conclusion that the ACLU or any legal body needs to intervene in this situation?

And how can you compare this with a Muslim name? The parents knew good and well what they were referencing when they named their children, this wasn't some innocent mistake or a cultural difference. this was a wanton disregard for good taste and honestly is insulting not just to the millions of people killed and tormented by Hitler's Germany, but to humanity at large. This is not rights issue, this is a supermarket deciding that they would not take part in something as horrible as this, but still giving the customer the avenue to do it themselves.

The ACLU does protest things that aren't against the law.

A lot.

They don't just do lawsuits.

As for how you can compare it.  You can compare it because it's exactly the same.  A name is a name and people should be treated fairly.

By doing this they're just playing into the bigoted familys beliefs anyway.

Around the Network

ShopRite are in the wrong. They can't refuse to serve a customer based on their name. Freedom of speech bitches.

Kasz216 said:
nordlead said:
I don't have a problem at all with what ShopRight did. It isn't like they didn't offer them the cake and materials needed to add the name themselves.

So what happens when ShopRight or some other group refuses to make cakes that say Mohammad or Abdul or something.

It's not illegal.  Though it is... rather stupid and discrimitory.

Exactly.

If they tell me they don't want to make a cake with my name on it (which isn't Mohammad or Abdul) then I don't care. I might get upset at them, but I will take my business elsewhere and leave it at that.

@tombi

Freedom of speach doesn't not apply to this at all, as that has to do with government censorship.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I don't see a curb on civil liberties here. They did name their children exactly what they wanted. Now if the name garners and adverse response, well too fucking bad. I would have made the cake personally and put a screened image of Auschwitz on it for fun. Have fun with your delusions of supremacy, that's what I say.

Guys I don't see the problem with the store refusing service. It's sort of like this. There are no laws saying I can't walk like a crab everywhere I go, but by doing so I am breaking the norms of a society and therefore will reinforce the norm views of the majority against my deviant behavior. It's pretty natural response within a community or society.

Just find a fucking cakeshop that will write the damn message, jesus christ. God damn can't we just euthanize people. I'm sick of these non story stories. It's like people just do shit to get on the fucking news. Why can't I walk around naked in stores, imposing clothes on me...that's bullshit. We all got bodies, why can't i keep mine uncovered? Becuase the fascists in power think it offends the sensibilities of the culture. So does naming your kid Hitler, I guess. Don't you remember the good old days, those nostalgic (non-existent days) where we had so many more civil liberties? I say we either just dissolve government and that way anyone can do whatever they want, or stop focusing on these ridiculous stories about infringed liberties. I thought by joining a society we automatically assumed that we lose "some natural liberties" (Locke).

Well this was a ridiculous rant but I'm sick of people eating up this shit.

Wait a minute, let me get this...

These parents are pissed of at Jewish people for being jewish and black people for being black. I think these people may get annoyed over nothing very easily.

Around the Network
epsilon72 said:
insomniac17 said:
I'm definitely with the supermarket. Honestly, why would you name your kid that (after WWII)? Just imagine what kind of stuff he'll have to put up with later in life.

@esmoreit: I'm not trying to argue that these people (the parents) aren't complete idiots, but to play devil's advocate for a bit here - how can you be for freedom of speech and at the same time be in favor of the law making some 'free speech' illegal?  Assuming they don't hurt anyone, who the hell cares?

I also said in most of Europe. And then it's still illegal as the (neo)-Nazi ideals are about supressing others thus limiting other people the right of freedom of speech and a dozen other standard human-right rules.

@SamuelRSmith on Nazi-periphilia: They are not illegal in historical context (and even then they are at times censored - battlefield 1942 had censored German flags), but they are illegal when used to glorify Nazi-idealism or used to support the nazi ideal.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

jv103 said:

I don't see a curb on civil liberties here. They did name their children exactly what they wanted. Now if the name garners and adverse response, well too fucking bad. I would have made the cake personally and put a screened image of Auschwitz on it for fun. Have fun with your delusions of supremacy, that's what I say.

Guys I don't see the problem with the store refusing service. It's sort of like this. There are no laws saying I can't walk like a crab everywhere I go, but by doing so I am breaking the norms of a society and therefore will reinforce the norm views of the majority against my deviant behavior. It's pretty natural response within a community or society.

Just find a fucking cakeshop that will write the damn message, jesus christ. God damn can't we just euthanize people. I'm sick of these non story stories. It's like people just do shit to get on the fucking news. Why can't I walk around naked in stores, imposing clothes on me...that's bullshit. We all got bodies, why can't i keep mine uncovered? Becuase the fascists in power think it offends the sensibilities of the culture. So does naming your kid Hitler, I guess. Don't you remember the good old days, those nostalgic (non-existent days) where we had so many more civil liberties? I say we either just dissolve government and that way anyone can do whatever they want, or stop focusing on these ridiculous stories about infringed liberties. I thought by joining a society we automatically assumed that we lose "some natural liberties" (Locke).

Well this was a ridiculous rant but I'm sick of people eating up this shit.

You can't refuse service to people because of their race.

Why should you be able to refuse service because of their name?

They could attempt the argument that the restaurant violated Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I am sure they are unaware of this, but it is a plausible argument.

rocketpig said:
O-D-C said:
who else wants to go to lil Hitlers bday?

I'd show up in blackface just for the lulz.

rofl. post of the week.

OT: why the heck would you name your kid that? It's like tatooing "Please kick my a**" on his forehead...

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Theory: Not everyone is capable of being a competent parent.