By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will you be satisfied with curent HD graphics after PS4/x720 wil come?

I'm not satisfied with this gen already. If the leap between ps2-ps3 was the same as Ps1 to ps2 we should have like real graphics now. That's why I moved towards the wii. Not so good graphics, but at least better experience.

Around the Network

I would be satisfied, but ya know better graphics never hurt

Sure, there is room for improvement in the next generation (probably comparable with higher end PC gaming rigs of current, but for less due to hardware component standardization), but as it's already been mentioned, the real issue is development time/ease of development.

The platform that is most conducive to producing the best results with the least amount of effort, is likely to be the one favored by developers, assuming the platform has the user base to validate the investment of time and development funds.

For most HDTVs, 1280x720 is the standard, and for all intents and purposes fine at normal TV viewing distances. How will that change over the next 4 or so years remains to be seen (how often to people upgrade TVs is the question to ask).

Personally I would have liked to have seen 1920x1080 as the standard this generation, but I suppose there is always the PC if resolution is deal maker for some, even if it doesn't offer all the convenience and ease of use of a console.

Well I didnt care for HD graphics until I upgraded my computer, then after getting a 101cm TV with my ps3 and 360 I've never looked back. BUT!!! I will have to say I fall in the boat of being unsatisfied puerly because the only game I own that runs in 1080p is ridge racer 7 on ps3 and it looks soooooo clean and crisp! absolutly love it! I wont be happy until all games run in 1080p and arent just upscaled.

Upscaling looks crap after you get used to pixle perfect rendering of 1080p on a 1080p screen. (But thats only my own opinion, some people dont notice, and you probably cant on a smaller TV. I couldnt imagen playing a 720p upscaled to 1080 on a TV bigger then 101cm lol) Although I can live with it, its still not quite the best viewing experience you can get. So I would say this gen falls short, if only by a few pixles. But I dont want the next gen yet either, I'm happy for the 'price/what you get' now because it is soooooooooooooooooo much better then last gen. Thank you bump mapping, fancy shaders and higher resolutions.

And I wont even get started on why the wii needs HD! SD games should be played on SD TVs, thats my verdict, or else they look horrible!

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

@greenmedic88

Not giving the PS3 enough RAM for proper 1080p was one of the biggest mistakes Sony made this generation. Had the PS3 had 1GB of RAM, and a $999 price tag at launch it would be in a much better poistion today.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I'm happy with Wii graphics

KBG29 said:
@greenmedic88

Not giving the PS3 enough RAM for proper 1080p was one of the biggest mistakes Sony made this generation. Had the PS3 had 1GB of RAM, and a $999 price tag at launch it would be in a much better poistion today.

I am forced to disagree with you. If it had a $999 price tag it most likely would not have sold nealry asm uch as it has now.

Khuutra said:
KBG29 said:
@greenmedic88

I am forced to disagree with you. If it had a $999 price tag it most likely would not have sold nealry asm uch as it has now.

I don't see how 1 GB would be so beneficial.
Most of the consensus this generation is that console'slaunch shouldn't have high prices at all. Nine-hundred
and ninety-nine dollars is...just...

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

we don't really need anything more detailed than current gen graphics. look at gears 2 or mgs4 on the best hd tv. what slight amount of graphical upgrade could make it any better to a noticeable degree? nothing. the graphics are close enough to real life to the point where no higher amount of detail is needed. notice i said detail, because more powerful systems next gen and beyond should not focus on adding another 100,000 polygons to this character or tank or whatever cuz that'll be a whole lot of work for something that the human eye will barely be able to notice. the textures can get a little better but again it'll barely be noticeable so improved detail of graphics should pretty much stop at the best looking games of this generation.

now that we've decided not to use all that future gen power for meaningless graphical upgrades, where can we use it? in areas that matter:

1. use it to have lots of enemies, characters, special effects, etc on screen at once. if its an action game have hundreds of enemies on screen at once all detailed as well as the best characters of this generation. this won't be needed at all times or in all games but it's better to be able to do this than make a smaller amount of things onscreen be barely noticeably better looking than they are this gen.

2. use it to keep the framerates from ever dropping below 60fps so there is never a moment of slowdown in any game ever in the future.

3. pump all that power into physics programs and AI so the game plays as real as it possibly can. AI is one area where i think huge advancements can be made once the focus is shifted from simply pushing as many polygons as possible to making the characters in the games seem as real as possible too instead of just looking real.

4. and finally improve the environment. bring it to life! bark doesn't need slightly better textures, that won't make the game any more immersive or stunning than it already is, but if birds are nesting on a branch chirping as the branch is slowly moving in the breeze and a couple leaves fall from it and a squirrel squats nearby eating an acorn while a frog jumps in a nearby stream making a splash and sending a rabbit running that is probably gonna make you feel like you are in a full living environment. much better than a few more unneeded polygons or textures.

so in closing, yes, i will still be satisfied with current HD graphics after next gen comes around because the only worthwhile additions to the visual side of video games i see at this point has nothing to do with the graphics getting any more detailed but instead has to do with bringing the games to life in the four ways mentioned above.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

As good as gfx are who honestly after 10minutes into the game ( assuming gameplay is very good ) even thinks about the gfx. After 10minutes of mario kart Wii i couldn't even give a rats arse about gfx nor even think about it due to having such a good time.

I Would be happy if 720p or 1080p is the standard for next gen.