By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and third part GC controllers

currently using this...

the built of it is good and it feels better than 3rd party ones

Around the Network

It could be these controllers did things in a unique way that was not "by the book" but worked.

They don't function on the Wii because they can no longer use the tricks that made them work well on the GC.

In other words, it is akin to some software not being able to be fully functional on a new OS, even when the new OS fully and flawlessly emulates the old OS.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- Be careful with the Wavebirds at Gamestop. I found out that one of mine has a non-functional Z-button (after the 30-day warranty period).

PPS -- Always take out batteries when not playing them for a long time. I forgot to to that with one controller (wireless N64 by Docs) and now it is pretty much useless.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Grey Acumen said:
twesterm said:

Not to sound like a jerk but I either just don't believe you or think there's something else to the story you aren't telling or are missing.

I mean really, why would Nintendo suddenly say fuck all those other controllers out there, you're only using ours!

Ok, well, yes that would mean more accessory sales but then that would rank as one of the dumber decisions ever made. I'm sure if this were actually the case we would see more than one random forum post about it.

-edit-

And yeah, the Wavebird is the only Gamecube controller you should have.

-edit #2-

And before you get angry, answer me this:

1. What would this really get Nintendo in the long run if this were the case?  Remember, they're already swimming in money.
  2. If true, why isn't this story on every gaming blog?

Well, lets face it twesterm, who here has bothered using their gamecube after getting a Wii? and how many people have enough faith in 3rd party GC controllers to actually question it if they suddenly stopped working?

Heck, I got rid of my Gamecube a long time ago and the 3rd party controls went with it, I never even tried them in the Wii that i can recall.

Plus, there are a bunch of different 3rd party controllers, it's entirely possible that the specific off brand that Kyliedog has simply wasn't properly designed to work on the Wii. most recent controllers probably don't have this issue though.

Me

O-D-C said:
Grey Acumen said:

Well, lets face it twesterm, who here has bothered using their gamecube after getting a Wii? and how many people have enough faith in 3rd party GC controllers to actually question it if they suddenly stopped working?

Me

Why?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

This reminds me that I need to get a new GC controller.

Around the Network

3rd party controllers do work on the Wii. (my brother has a 3rd party wireless GC controller)

Odds are the wii is slightly tighter on the specs for controller signals, and the 3rd party controllers messed up on them just enough for the Wii to not recognize them, but the GC does.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Grey Acumen said:
O-D-C said:
Grey Acumen said:

Me

Why?

Same reason I did/do. Wii takes too long to load up games and if you have a GCN disc in the Wii, it doesn't automatically read it so you can start playing.

I've had some problems getting my third party wireless Gamecube controller to work on my Wii but only as player 1. It works perfectly well in the other player ports. Dunno why this is?

@ KylieDog; Do your controllers work in any other the other ports?

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3308-4850-9342 / STEAM ID: makepeacefox

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

"Watchmen" is far better than The Dark Knight / Why does no-one own this wonderful game: Fragile Allegiance? / Speak (Type) Italian to me!

Disloyal member of the LFGM

Snesboy said:
Grey Acumen said:
O-D-C said:
Grey Acumen said:

Me

Why?

Same reason I did/do. Wii takes too long to load up games and if you have a GCN disc in the Wii, it doesn't automatically read it so you can start playing.

You forgot about the all mighty GBA player for the GCN!!!!  One reason why I recently set my GCN up again.

I have 3 different controllers and they all work. First is the official one, one from Speed Link and another (well 2 atm) from Hong Kong for 1$ + shipping.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."