By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

Euphoria14 said:
Riachu said:
Euphoria14 said:
Anyone read the thread about Square-Enix realizing what is wrong with JRPGs?

I don't know if I am the only one but it seems as though we have a whole new breed of RPG fan now and from reading the responses in that thread I feel as though these kind of "fresh" ideas are going to destroy what we learned to love from our JRPGs.

Many even go as far as saying Square-Enix should start making their games more like an Oblivion or Fallout 3. Oh the horror, guns, swords and no storyline.

Could you give me the link?

I don't fresh ideas are going to ruin JRPGs just as long as they are done right. Look at Persona 3 and 4. They use fresh ideas and both games, especially the latter, were praised immensely by both reviewers and gamers

Well, these "freash" ideas I was talking about were

#1. Make them more western oriented.

#2. Make them open world like Oblivion and/or Fallout.

#3. Make the main characters older, around the 25-30+ range.

They are just trying to make JRPGs that appeal more to the western group.  It makes financial sense.

Around the Network

I really hope that S-E doesn't go that way. Maybe nowadays, WRPG are on top of JRPG, but that doesn't mean that both genres should merge. They are both completely different ways of RPG's, i like them both =/ Also, they shouldn't forget that while JRPG's have a huge margin of progression, adding more features as they come, WRPG's stay basically the same.

Well people, this will be my last post today. Happy new year everyone ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
I really hope that S-E doesn't go that way. Maybe nowadays, WRPG are on top of JRPG, but that doesn't mean that both genres should merge. They are both completely different ways of RPG's, i like them both =/ Also, they shouldn't forget that while JRPG's have a huge margin of progression, adding more features as they come, WRPG's stay basically the same.

Well people, this will be my last post today. Happy new year everyone ;)

JRPGs are unfairly maligned.  Some gamers don't even know about JRPGs like TWEWY and Persona 3/4

TWEWY was such a great game it's a shame it sold so poorly

martjuh ! said:
TWEWY was such a great game it's a shame it sold so poorly

Actually, TWEWY didn't sell that bad.  It sold 300K+ in NA and 500K+ WW LTD and that's without any sales numbers from Europe.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Riachu said:
Euphoria14 said:
Anyone read the thread about Square-Enix realizing what is wrong with JRPGs?

I don't know if I am the only one but it seems as though we have a whole new breed of RPG fan now and from reading the responses in that thread I feel as though these kind of "fresh" ideas are going to destroy what we learned to love from our JRPGs.

Many even go as far as saying Square-Enix should start making their games more like an Oblivion or Fallout 3. Oh the horror, guns, swords and no storyline.

Could you give me the link?

I don't fresh ideas are going to ruin JRPGs just as long as they are done right. Look at Persona 3 and 4. They use fresh ideas and both games, especially the latter, were praised immensely by both reviewers and gamers

Well, these "freash" ideas I was talking about were

#1. Make them more western oriented - Anything but not this!

#2. Make them open world like Oblivion and/or Fallout. - okay as long as it's pulled off nicely

#3. Make the main characters older, around the 25-30+ range. - I'd be the first to support that.

i finally picked up star ocean 2 this morning. got it for $12.00 near mint shape, was very happy. :)

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

@euphoria14, i wont mind playing kingdom hearts on the wii if they use the twilight princess control scheme. that scheme was prefect for zelda and i think any action/rpg on the wii should use it.

i also think kingdom hearts 3 will go to the wii as well. but i predict that they will use a controle scheme similar to twilight princess.

i just want square-enix to announce and launch their next mmorpg before too long ,i want a final fantasy mmorpg now.