By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:

was the rpg genre always your favorite genre, or did u grow into it gradually ?

when i started gaming, i was 4 and my 1st system was the atari 2600. i slowly moved to every system that ever came out and at 1st my genre of choice was platformers , as time past it slowly changed. i then moved to fps as a genre i loved very much and still like it alot today ( but todays's fps has to have something special to make me buy them anymore ). it wasnt until final fantasy 7, that i even got interested in the genre. after that i started playing more rpg games , and after some time i started to get addicted to them and played everyone i could get my hands on. final fantasy 8 was the game that made fall in love with the genre and never wana leave it, since that game came out i played some great gems in this genre from : lost odyssey to persona 4 to demons souls , alundra,dark cloud, legend of dragoon,shining force and many more, i am very excited to see and play the future games that are released in this awesome genre. 

I started gaming in my father's Spectrum ZX and then moved on to an Atari 2600 in the same year. Pitfall was my favourite game in the Atari, and then, when I was 4 years old, my dad bought a NES. At the same time, he also bough our first PC, a pentium 486, with Windows 3.11

In the PC, I started playing Ultima and Wizardry sporadically, because my favourite games back then were Indy 500, 4D Stunts and Prehistorik (this was when my love for the racing genre began). On the NES, my dad bought me two games when he went to USA for business, called Crystalis and Dragon Warrior. And since then, my love for RPG began

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:

was the rpg genre always your favorite genre, or did u grow into it gradually ?

when i started gaming, i was 4 and my 1st system was the atari 2600. i slowly moved to every system that ever came out and at 1st my genre of choice was platformers , as time past it slowly changed. i then moved to fps as a genre i loved very much and still like it alot today ( but todays's fps has to have something special to make me buy them anymore ). it wasnt until final fantasy 7, that i even got interested in the genre. after that i started playing more rpg games , and after some time i started to get addicted to them and played everyone i could get my hands on. final fantasy 8 was the game that made fall in love with the genre and never wana leave it, since that game came out i played some great gems in this genre from : lost odyssey to persona 4 to demons souls , alundra,dark cloud, legend of dragoon,shining force and many more, i am very excited to see and play the future games that are released in this awesome genre. 

First system I ever gamed on was my Fathers IBM PS2 with 256k ram, 10mb harddrive, 3.5 floppy (that was not DD or HD) and a 5 1/4 drive.  I still have the system too and it works.  On that, the first games I can ever remember playing are Wizardry 1 and 2 (I was 5ish), The Bards Tales, Kings Quest 1 and 2, Hoyle and Ultima 1 and 2.  This is why I still consider almost all WRPGs (things that run off DnD type rules) computer RPGs.  

We got our NES in 1987 and the first game I played (besides Duck Hunt and SMB) was Final Fantasy 1.  From that point forward, I have loved JRPGs.  

used to rent a place with a couple of guys and one was a french man, he was into role playing and used to DM games at our place with some of his friends ,  and  believe it or not was  paid to  run an education course teaching  teenagers dungeon and dragons on sundays at the local adult education centre, he at first got me playing d&d with his friends ,but he also had an old c64 and amiga set up in the down stairs entertainment area,at first i played games like turrican,populous,silkworm ,hired guns , stuntcar racer,all great games then he got me playing dungeon master,bards tale , ultima series ,bloodwych, eye of the beholder crystal dragon etc , so thats how i got into rpg's thanks to gerad a french hippy from LeMan who cooked me  snails in  garlic butter but he himself refused to eat frogs legs saying only french bastards would eat that crap,   the only man i know who  made me join a medievil society and participate in a full blown tourney.

then i bought a  used c64  with games and action replay cart for myself quickly followed an amiga then the ps1

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

come on guys put in a word that you think ryhmes with my favourite atlus game

@Ssenkah ,Robo ,you guys got 3d dot heroes?

Around the Network

@Lestat,what controller are you going to use for muramassa, the mote,  game cube or classic

I'm just curious, how many of you play a lot of RPGs on the DS? We should start a DS RPG discussion thread, I kinda feel left out on the PSP RPG thread because I don't have a PSP, jaja. Maybe I should get one.

@maxxpower, we talk about all rpg's regardless of what console they are on  so if you want to talk about a certain game  or games do it, you will find that 9 times out of ten the conversation will  then revolve around those games, but you have to instigate it we don't know what you want to discuss with out you telling us but this is the right step,

I'm currently playing ,on the DS, smt devil survivor and smt strange journey and have zelda spirit tracks up my sleeve waiting on  Ecclissia ,sands of destruction , mega man starforce dragon to arrive from ebay . 

@mjk45:  Fersona Pour perhaps?

Also, yea I have 3d Dot, just have not played it yet.  No game is allowed in my PS3 until I get and play Trinity Universe.

@maxx:  Might be a good idea to make up a thread.  Id have Robo do it tho, he loves it :)

@ssenka ,you clever man at least you didn't say rhymes with whore, other wise i would have rilled you in a kit of fealous jage