By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does Sony get royalties from each BD sold?

So they get 2,25 cent par BD sold ? So with the Dark Knight sales they have made +- 500$ ?

Around the Network

I'dassume the fees are higher than DVD's so I'd assume its more than 2.5 cents.

Don't they also get money for every burnable disc, every blu-ray drive, every blu-ray movie, every blu-ray player?

And it's not just a couple of pennies per sale. You also have to realize Sony is selling everything I listed above which means a lot more than pennies per sale everytime one of their players are sold.

CaptDS9E said:
"Blu-ray looks a bit better then DVD"

A bit better? Way better if the transfers are done right. Uncompressed DTS MA/True HD sound blows regular DTS and Dolby out of the water

Seriously; the average consumer doesn't care one bit about this. I wonder if the average person even sees the difference. I know loads of people that just have a HD TV because it's flat. I even know people that watch films in 4:3 on their HD sets because they didn't know you could adjust the screen.

Sounds stupid? That's your average consumer. And the average consumer is very happy to be able to buy all Indiana Jones/Star Wars/Die Hard/Whatever films in a nice DVD box for $20.

Personally I'm a tremendous music fan. I really can't understand why people listen to iPods in their living room. I definitely hear the difference, but most people just don't care.

Gary said:
So they get 2,25 cent par BD sold ? So with the Dark Knight sales they have made +- 500$ ?

How much did it sell? Wasn't it 600k? That would mean $15,000 at 2.5 cents per disc (only a part of which goes to Sony?).

I have yet to see any convincing argument showing that Blu-Ray would make Sony their PS3 losses back.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Gary said:

How much did it sell? Wasn't it 600k? That would mean $15,000 at 2.5 cents per disc (only a part of which goes to Sony?).

I have yet to see any convincing argument showing that Blu-Ray would make Sony their PS3 losses back.

no 2.5 cents would go to Sony if we assume blu-ray royalties are the same people pay for DVD's and we assume Sony gets 30%.... and if you can't see how blu-ray would make up the losses then i feel sorry for you.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
NJ5 said:
Gary said:

no 2.5 cents would go to Sony if we assume blu-ray royalties are the same people pay for DVD's and we assume Sony gets 30%.... and if you can't see how blu-ray would make up the losses then i feel sorry for you.

No need to feel sorry.

Let's see... Around $4 billion in losses (and counting). At 2.5 cents per disc, that means they'd have to sell 160 billion Blu-Ray discs to get that amount back, or 26 Blu-Ray discs to each living human. Granted, there's other sources of revenue such as Blu-Ray player royalties, then again there are other losses involved in Blu-Ray (such as the sacrifice to the Playstation brand). Also, I hardly think Eskimos will be buying many Blu-Ray discs.

See, you don't have to feel sorry for me...

NJ5 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
NJ5 said:
Gary said:

No need to feel sorry.

Let's see... Around $4 billion in losses (and counting). At 2.5 cents per disc, that means they'd have to sell 160 billion Blu-Ray discs to get that amount back, or 26 Blu-Ray discs to each living human. Granted, there's other sources of revenue such as Blu-Ray player royalties, then again there are other losses involved in Blu-Ray (such as the sacrifice to the Playstation brand). Also, I hardly think Eskimos will be buying many Blu-Ray discs.

See, you don't have to feel sorry for me...

In reality there are only 3 markets for BluRay: North America, Western-Europe/Australia and Japan/Korea. Everywhere else piracy is pretty much king. The potential market is under a billion people, so it would mean selling 160 BR discs to every potential customer. Say that the average household consists of 3 persons and you're up to 480 BR discs per potential household.

BengaBenga said:

In reality there are only 3 markets for BluRay: North America, Western-Europe/Australia and Japan/Korea. Everywhere else piracy is pretty much king. The potential market is under a billion people, so it would mean selling 160 BR discs to every potential customer. Say that the average household consists of 3 persons and you're up to 480 BR discs per potential household.

Fantastic business plan. Get me Kutaragi here, we're about to make history in the business world.

Lol. Because someone says Sony would make 2.5cents per BD sold. That automatically makes it the fact.

Sony infact are the BDA company with most control. They spearhead the BDA