By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the heck do people group the Game Boy line together for sales???

Sorry but many games were game boy color only.

Around the Network
Tremble said:
Sorry but many games were game boy color only.

And all Playstation 2 games were Playstation 2 only. It's very different.

And so what's the difference??? Different games = different hardware = different chartz.

If that were the case, the PS2 Slim should be separate from the original, as it is very different hardware and you can't play games that require the Hard Drive on the Slim.

As a note, the very last game to be released for the Game Boy Color (a One Piece game in Japan) was also compatible with the original Game Boy.

Tremble, I've already pointed out that this is not a matter of debate. It is consumer electronics canon.

The Gameboy Color is a new model of the Gameboy product. The PS2 is a whole new product.

You can say and rant and believe anything you want but it doesn't change a single thing. There is a difference in a new model of the same product and an entirely new product.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

To me, the GBC is a whole new product too:

"The processor, which is a Z80 workalike made by Sharp with a few extra (bit manipulation) instructions, has a clock speed of approx. 8 MHz, twice as fast as that of the original Game Boy. The Game Boy Color also has four times as much memory as the original (32 kilobytes system RAM, 16 kilobytes video RAM). Additionally, the Game Boy Color could address more ROM, allowing games as much as eight times the maximum size of those for the original Game Boy."

As you see, I don't believe anything I want...

DTG said:
fazz said:
In the Slim PS2 you couldn't not play games that required the hard drive, like FFXI.

Therefore, Slim PS2 sales should be separated from old PS2 sales too.

Yes, because the original PS2 was black and white.

If you played the PS2 on a Black and White TV it would be.

Seriously. The GBC and the GB were essentially the same hardware the prime difference was the monitor and since it recieved a color monitor it recieved a hardware update that could handle basic color(extra memeory and slightly faster CPU). Many GBC games played on the old GB but several did not as those games were entirely programed in 8 bit color instead of an enhanced colorized monochromatic image that was scalable to B&W.

The GBC and GB does push the edge of being a new console more so than anything going to be released today. But the intercompatability is also higher than any seperate game systems today. When you can play 360 games on an XBOX than you have crossed that line again.

Tremble, do you think the internal components are all that separate a new product from a new model?

How much consumer electronics background do you have? There are literally thousands of products with new models that have new or different components in them.

Looks at cars for example. How many various models of some cars exist? V6 model, the V8 model, the sports model, the GL, the GT, the 5684915XLTG Coupe model, etc.... All the same product just a different model.

Look at TV's/monitor's. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 205bw. Samsung has several models in the SyncMaster product line despite many being quite different internally.

Then you have products that are different but share branding like the Playstation consoles and portable (obviously the PSP and PS3 are not the same product, agreed?). Back to the car example, the Corvettes have had 6 product lines or generations. Each one has several models. The latest product is the C6 with the models of base, Z06, ZR1 and C6.R (the racing model). The Gameboy Advance fits this example as well. It continues the Gameboy branding but is a new product.

Again, these things are not up for debate, Tremble. It's just how the industry denotes these things.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

Tremble, do you think the internal components are all that separate a new product from a new model?

How much consumer electronics background do you have? There are literally thousands of products with new models that have new or different components in them.

Looks at cars for example. How many various models of some cars exist? V6 model, the V8 model, the sports model, the GL, the GT, the 5684915XLTG Coupe model, etc.... All the same product just a different model.

Look at TV's/monitor's. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 205bw. Samsung has several models in the SyncMaster product line despite many being quite different internally.

Then you have products that are different but share branding like the Playstation consoles and portable (obviously the PSP and PS3 are not the same product, agreed?). Back to the car example, the Corvettes have had 6 product lines or generations. Each one has several models. The latest product is the C6 with the models of base, Z06, ZR1 and C6.R (the racing model). The Gameboy Advance fits this example as well. It continues the Gameboy branding but is a new product.

Again, these things are not up for debate, Tremble. It's just how the industry denotes these things.

Not just that but the internals of the new and old PS3s are significantly different as well as the 20 different skus of PS2s.

A color image requires up to 3 times the memory of a black and white image so it is neccesary to up the internal memory so it can accomodate the newer features. FInally The porcessor needs to be faster to handle 3 times the information coming through.

The thing I was pointing out is that the games were mostly compatable with the older hardware where some games could go full hog and take advantage of the GBC only truly exceptional games and lazy programmers did that because most games were designed for the full market the GB/GBC to maximize marketshare.

When I can play PS3 games on a PS2 or Wii games on the GC we can talk.

dont be an idiot, GBC was only slightly stronger and was a limited enhancements over the pocket, the first real sequel to gameboy, was gameboy advance, then the SP/micro were of that line, then DS, dsl and soon DSI.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.