By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the heck do people group the Game Boy line together for sales???

Wow.

Some of you guys have no idea what the difference is between a new SKU and a new product. Your own arrogance on the subject proves you have no intention of ever listening to facts and logic so it's pointless to provide them.

Do some consumer electronics homework before making such blatantly incorrect assumptions.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Wow.

Some of you guys have no idea what the difference is between a new SKU and a new product. Your own arrogance on the subject proves you have no intention of ever listening to facts and logic so it's pointless to provide them.

Do some consumer electronics homework before making such blatantly incorrect assumptions.

care to explain your point of view? I would love to hear your opinion on the subject.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

DTG said:

FYI the gameboy line consists of numerous, DIFFERENT systems. GB, GBP, GBC, GBA and more... Grouping these different systems released years after one another is like grouping the PS1, PS2 and PS3 together because they are backwards compatable! Implying that the PS consists of one console that has sold over 270 million units!!

Even vgchartz is doing it with their front page article and I'm sick of it. Way to spin numbers. GB isn't one system that has sold 118 million units, it's a bunch of systems that happen to share one name just like the PS line does. And those systems are counted seperately as far as sold units are concerned.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried :P It helps if you think of it this way

Gameboy = DS phat

Gameboy pocket = DS lite

Gameboy colour = DSi

No-one bundles GBA with the earlier gameboys, you're the first person to do so

The GBA sp and gameboy micro are a similar story to the gameboy pocket in that they are smaller versions of the same hardware

DTG said:
Khuutra said:
DTG said:
Zucas said:
GB and GBC are the same thing just one's in color. If we split them up then we might as well split the different colors of all the consoles up, PS2 and PS2 slim should be split up, and all the different SKU's for 360 and PS3 should be split up.

Stop being silly.

oh, you're right I forgot that phat psp and ps2 games were all in black and white and that some color ps2 games weren't playable on the former.

Later releases of the PSP had more RAM, didn't they?

however every single psp game is playable on both phat and slim versions. That is not true for gbc to gb. Not only that, there is no graphical difference between psp and psp slim similar to going from freakin black and white to color.

Sorry for the double post, I just saw this and had to laugh

not all DSi games will be playable on the DSlite

not all PSP3000 games will be playable on the PSP 2000 (it doesn't have a mic input)

not all 360 games can be played on the core/arcade

Sorry, but this topic is full of fail

Rampant cruelty here is uncalled for and unbecoming of those who participate.

Again, I tend to agree with DTG concerning the Gameboy Color, but we cannot feasibly get hardware numbers to separate them unless Nintendo wants to share, and they will not want to do so because they would rather market the Gameboy as a single brand.

Around the Network

I see what the OP is saying but the differences are too small to classify it as a new system. Gameboy to GBC only big difference is "omg some color!", while Gameboy to GBA is "omg lots of color and detail".

PS1 to PS2 is a huge jump, Gameboy to GBC is barely anything. Gameboy to GBA is a huge jump considering handheld power. Some might want every little difference in a system count for a whole new generation but that will be troublesome and a waste of time to do so.

For Nordlead:

Just to sum up, a variant SKU is a slightly altered product or new model of an existing product with either new colors, features, services, all, etc.... The Gameboy Color is a new SKU model of the Gameboy.

A new product is not developed upon an already existing product platform (though it may share branding as in the Gameboy Advanced or Playstation products).

This is not up for debate. This is not open to opinion or interpretation. It is consumer electronics canon.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

For Nordlead:

Just to sum up, a variant SKU is a slightly altered product or new model of an existing product with either new colors, features, services, all, etc.... The Gameboy Color is a new SKU model of the Gameboy.

A new product is not developed upon an already existing product platform (though it may share branding as in the Gameboy Advanced or Playstation products).

This is not up for debate. This is not open to opinion or interpretation. It is consumer electronics canon.

Thank you for the information.

DTG said:

FYI the gameboy line consists of numerous, DIFFERENT systems. GB, GBP, GBC, GBA and more... Grouping these different systems released years after one another is like grouping the PS1, PS2 and PS3 together because they are backwards compatable! Implying that the PS consists of one console that has sold over 270 million units!!

Even vgchartz is doing it with their front page article and I'm sick of it. Way to spin numbers. GB isn't one system that has sold 118 million units, it's a bunch of systems that happen to share one name just like the PS line does. And those systems are counted seperately as far as sold units are concerned.

well, you can count the first 5 millions of the PS3 since it was backward compatible, but not the rest.

Did this thread have a point?

Gameboy Color is the same as and different than Gameboy.
GB/GBC are generally treated as one in the same because of the evolutionary nature of the change, even though it is true that GBC only carts would not work on the GB (GB includes pocket and light models).

GBA includes SP and Micro -- which are just hardware variations. It is not considered part of the GB/GBC family, although both the GBA and SP can play almost all the older carts.

DS is a new animal completely and DSL is a hardware revision. Both DS and DSL play GBA carts. DSi is an evolutionary change and is being treated like the move from GB to GBC by most people. DS software will play in both; special DSi software and DS-ware will only work on the DSi units.

Still, I am not sure why this thread was created. There are a lot of times that I just don't get what certain things are about (or what certain people are trying to say).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV