By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Theory: MS Is A Major Part of Why the Japanese Market is Down.

bigjon said:
ymeaga1n said:
bigjon said:
seece said:
If "they" "refuse until death to purchase a foriegn console." then I don't care if they're missing out. The ones who have no bias will go out and pick up a 360 and enjoy all the JRPG's!

You're such a hypocrit, I made a post the other day about sony with NO hate whatsoever and you label me a hater, would it be wrong for me to labal YOU an M$ hater right now?

No you called me a sony fanboy(i am by no means a sony fanboy), different than a MS hater. Also I do not hate MS, I prefer PCs, Zunes, and such. I have always hated the way the xbox division has chosen to market the xbox line (also for the same reason I hate apple's marketing, with there patronizing commercials). The original just made me laugh... "if we put a big X on it and tell people its way cooler people will buy ours more than theres...." sadly that does work on the 13-17 year old age group....

Maybe you're anti-marketing in general.

Bolded part sounds really foolish. The "X" in xbox comes from the original intended name the "DirectXBox", because it used DirectX technology...introduced in 1995... They didn't slap on the X for marketing purposes. You need to lighten up and do more research.

or maybe because back in 2001 EVERYTHING was X... Xgames, Xmen, Xtreme Sports... etc. Because using X with every thing was like Xtra cool. Especially with cool alien green stuff.

yes I am kinda antimarketing. I think people are stupid for falling for all of the various ploys and such. I only like market where people advertise their products, it is when they use association I get annoyed really quick. (example- The I'm Luving it McDonald commerical drive/drove me nuts)

Actually he's right. It's because of the Direct X why the Xbox was named what it is currently.

Around the Network

The entire scenario is plausible, but you're putting the blame on the wrong party. Blaming MS for the Japanese market being down is a copout and a scapegoat. The issue is the Japanese themselves. If they have an extreme case of nationalism, that's their perogative, and their fault. MS shouldn't be blamed for catering to their audience to the extent that they are bending over backwards for them. Your argument is no different than the politicians and censorship groups that see a videogame playing child commit a violent act and blame it on the games, as opposed to the person.

What you really should have titled it is "Japanese nationalism is a major part of why the Japanese market is down". That puts the blame exactly where it belongs, with the consumer.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

dib8rman said:
Kind of but wrong, japanese market for home consoles just shrank over time is all, between PsX and Ps2 the market there for home consoles showed it's feathers but at some point that market or the majority of that markets requirements changed.

I'm more along the lines of believing that the major part of that market is disinterested due to the nature of a home console, and that hand helds prove this as even the PSP it being the losing platform in sheer volume is still doing very well for itself.

Software however proves this even further as these people seem not to purchase relative ammounts of software, the DS simply has a lot of units out there so the software seems like a lot is being moved.

I've heard pirating is the blame but people may just not be needing of that software, the nature of a game is that it is very time extensive, prehaps the portable form of gaming allows for the easy access that home consoles don't have and that these people just view games as being not valuable enough to consume that much time. (They play games in shorter doces thus taking longer to complete the game and in turn taking longer to consider purchasing the next game.)

It would kind of make sense to conclude that handhelds are hurting home consoles. I could probably safely put the blame on Ipod style technology.

Actually...I believe handhelds are a compliment to consoles.

Onyxmeth said:

The entire scenario is plausible, but you're putting the blame on the wrong party. Blaming MS for the Japanese market being down is a copout and a scapegoat. The issue is the Japanese themselves. If they have an extreme case of nationalism, that's their perogative, and their fault. MS shouldn't be blamed for catering to their audience to the extent that they are bending over backwards for them. Your argument is no different than the politicians and censorship groups that see a videogame playing child commit a violent act and blame it on the games, as opposed to the person.

What you really should have titled it is "Japanese nationalism is a major part of why the Japanese market is down". That puts the blame exactly where it belongs, with the consumer.

Thank you.

CrazzyMan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
bigjon said:
it is not crazzy. all of the japanese games are on the western console, is that a good sumation for you.

Bigjon, the Japanese can hate the 360 all they want. It's showing nothing but bias and stupidity.

There is nothing stupid in hating product, which had 33-50% failure rate last 3 years.

It`s stupid to buy same 2-3 consoles after the 1-2nd broke and say, that this is normal.

If you see no movement in Microsoft trying to fix the problem then I would agree with your statement. However, it is invalid because Microsoft is actually doing something to fix the problem. It's also called a warranty. If you have to buy a console everytime one breaks within the time span of warranty that is moronic.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

All of the best selling JRPG's are the ones Microsoft is targeting. 3rd party titles are open season these days. There is a huge chance they wont be taking sides this gen. FFXIII....wont sell better than America in Japan. You put Japan on a this pedestal. Because of Japanese bias, its the only reason of the exclusion of multiplatform version of FFXIII. This is the truth. Microsoft is evening out the playing field with Sony. 

You go and put all your faith in versus. It will sell nowhere near XIII because of the fact that its a PS3 exclusive.

Uh? You completely misunderstood the point of my post. I'm not exactly a PS3 fanboy, you know...

This thread is about Japan, is it not? I was merely refuting the argument of, "360 should > PS3 in Japan, therefore Japanese are BIAS!" Sony still has all the biggest franchises in that country, period. If the 360 was a Japanese console, it would still be losing.

I wanted to never think this to be true, but it makes sense. I mean MS has been throwing around their money weight to monitor where big products go and have screwed Ninty and Sony in that fashion. But it in doing it, they didn't help themselves either. What we are left with is more gamers buying PSP and DS and less buying the consoles which puts devs at more risk considering those two will have lots of competition in the software. Then we are left with big games on 360 for the crowd that don't sell a lick and none on the PS3 thereof or Wii.

However, I don't think its the only issue. I think another issue is Sony's heavy price point and even higher development costs and Nintendo's appearance of not having 3rd party games sell on it. Thus devs are left with 3 choices, none which are good, and MS is the one paying them off. So from the start it seems that MS is the best choice so they go that way, their games flop, and are left with minimum profits. But, we are seeing a shift away from this as the PS3 gets cheaper and Wii gets a larger userbase. We'll probably see a drift away from 360 development for Wii development. PS3 development will still be minimal but it will start to increase as the userbase grows as well.

But it's an interesting concept.

While Japanese culture is notoriously xenophobic -a fact which led to Sony's rise at Nintendo's expense when Nintendo ditched its Sony partnership for a European company- it's also very difficult to deny that Western and Japanese games often have very different playstyles. Is it so hard to believe that the cultural influence on a given game's playstyle might make it more appealing to people from that culture?

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

c0rd said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

All of the best selling JRPG's are the ones Microsoft is targeting. 3rd party titles are open season these days. There is a huge chance they wont be taking sides this gen. FFXIII....wont sell better than America in Japan. You put Japan on a this pedestal. Because of Japanese bias, its the only reason of the exclusion of multiplatform version of FFXIII. This is the truth. Microsoft is evening out the playing field with Sony. 

You go and put all your faith in versus. It will sell nowhere near XIII because of the fact that its a PS3 exclusive.

Uh? You completely misunderstood the point of my post. I'm not exactly a PS3 fanboy, you know...

This thread is about Japan, is it not? I was merely refuting the argument of, "360 should > PS3 in Japan, therefore Japanese are BIAS!" Sony still has all the biggest franchises in that country, period. If the 360 was a Japanese console, it would still be losing.

I retract my statement. I must've skimmed through. I've been reading alot of posts from here to Myspace and other sites. Sorry about the mix up.

Zucas said:
I wanted to never think this to be true, but it makes sense. I mean MS has been throwing around their money weight to monitor where big products go and have screwed Ninty and Sony in that fashion. But it in doing it, they didn't help themselves either. What we are left with is more gamers buying PSP and DS and less buying the consoles which puts devs at more risk considering those two will have lots of competition in the software. Then we are left with big games on 360 for the crowd that don't sell a lick and none on the PS3 thereof or Wii.

However, I don't think its the only issue. I think another issue is Sony's heavy price point and even higher development costs and Nintendo's appearance of not having 3rd party games sell on it. Thus devs are left with 3 choices, none which are good, and MS is the one paying them off. So from the start it seems that MS is the best choice so they go that way, their games flop, and are left with minimum profits. But, we are seeing a shift away from this as the PS3 gets cheaper and Wii gets a larger userbase. We'll probably see a drift away from 360 development for Wii development. PS3 development will still be minimal but it will start to increase as the userbase grows as well.

But it's an interesting concept.

ZOMG

someone actually seems to have read the post and understood what I was implying.

Thank you Zucas, I can always count on you for a fairly sane take on things.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut