By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Theory: MS Is A Major Part of Why the Japanese Market is Down.

Esa-Petteri said:
Maybe those japanese people should buy the console which has teh games... :D

But they buy the DS in droves.

Oh! Oh you mean one you hook up to your TV.

I am so sorry.

Around the Network

Hm, actually most part of X360 jRPGs sold well in Japan, but those are very niche jRPGs and new IPs nobody knows, so... FF13 could have been system-seller for X360 in Japan, but, you know, it's going to be released on PS3 in Japan.

Despite of the fact X360 is a jRPG platform to date of current generation (well, compared to others and not counting handhelds\PS2), even not so strong in US DQX will sell in Americas like all X360 jRPGs to date combined (not to mention Japan, where it's huge, even bigger than FF).

M$ did everything, what they could to SLOWDOWN PS3 DOMINATION.
They are here(in Japan) not to win, but to HOLD PS3 as long as possible. Win here is impossible for M$.
Japanese always will chose PS3 over x360.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 PS3 175k
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 360 9.2k
WHEN they have such a choice. =)
YET, since 2009(After PRICECUT) PS3 will shine with it`s power.
PS3 FTW!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

bigjon said:
seece said:
If "they" "refuse until death to purchase a foriegn console." then I don't care if they're missing out. The ones who have no bias will go out and pick up a 360 and enjoy all the JRPG's!

You're such a hypocrit, I made a post the other day about sony with NO hate whatsoever and you label me a hater, would it be wrong for me to labal YOU an M$ hater right now?

No you called me a sony fanboy(i am by no means a sony fanboy), different than a MS hater. Also I do not hate MS, I prefer PCs, Zunes, and such. I have always hated the way the xbox division has chosen to market the xbox line (also for the same reason I hate apple's marketing, with there patronizing commercials). The original just made me laugh... "if we put a big X on it and tell people its way cooler people will buy ours more than theres...." sadly that does work on the 13-17 year old age group....

I said this was a theory, but I believe it is true. It makes sense, just step outside of your fanboy foxhole and take a look around. Since when do Japanese en masse migrate to western gaming??? Gaming is like part of their culture over there... at least that is what Kyohei told me (my Japanese roomate in college). Ok, now look at the Wii and PS3 what on the Wii and PS3 would appeal to the core gaming culture in Japan on them.... not much. They have no reason to buy PSWii and dont want a 360.... therefor... tadaa.. Sucky gaming enviroment over there.

I will be proven right when the Wii turns it all around when it begins get loads of AAA Japanese content.

I don't remember calling you a sony fanboy, sorry if I did but that IS how you come across. I also didn't call you an M$ hater I said would it be fair to call you one for this post in relation to you calling me a sony hater in my thread (where I gave no sony hate).

Again the reasons you hate Microsoft marketing/talk/commercials can be applied to Sony! 5 million bricks anyone??

"just step outside of your fanboy foxhole" - boy you can dish out but you can't take it can you, I am a 360 fan, I have nothing against the Wii it just doesn't appeal to me. And as for Sony and the PS3, I don't like how they have been ignorant, throwing their weight around, and I don't think they have put half the effort in this gen that Microsoft and Nintendo have. Thats why I like seeing the PS3 last, because they deserve to be, I didn't say they deserve to fail or go out of business, they deserve to be last.

So lets say your theory is right? So what? Microsoft are a business trying to break into a difficult market and they bought some popular japanese games to help out. What do you exactly expect them to do, let Sony and Nintendo walk all over them? I still don't believe the decline in Japan is because of M$, there have been a lot of articals saying the Japanese are just too busy these days and are more into handhelds. They seem to be doing just fine don't they?

if you want to go theory, then world war 2 perhaps? Japan was going to eat China until US interfered and push Axis out of the way.

Around the Network

lol.....

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

bigjon said:
it is not crazzy. all of the japanese games are on the western console, is that a good sumation for you.

Bigjon, the Japanese can hate the 360 all they want. It's showing nothing but bias and stupidity.

seece said:
bigjon said:
seece said:
If "they" "refuse until death to purchase a foriegn console." then I don't care if they're missing out. The ones who have no bias will go out and pick up a 360 and enjoy all the JRPG's!

You're such a hypocrit, I made a post the other day about sony with NO hate whatsoever and you label me a hater, would it be wrong for me to labal YOU an M$ hater right now?

No you called me a sony fanboy(i am by no means a sony fanboy), different than a MS hater. Also I do not hate MS, I prefer PCs, Zunes, and such. I have always hated the way the xbox division has chosen to market the xbox line (also for the same reason I hate apple's marketing, with there patronizing commercials). The original just made me laugh... "if we put a big X on it and tell people its way cooler people will buy ours more than theres...." sadly that does work on the 13-17 year old age group....

I said this was a theory, but I believe it is true. It makes sense, just step outside of your fanboy foxhole and take a look around. Since when do Japanese en masse migrate to western gaming??? Gaming is like part of their culture over there... at least that is what Kyohei told me (my Japanese roomate in college). Ok, now look at the Wii and PS3 what on the Wii and PS3 would appeal to the core gaming culture in Japan on them.... not much. They have no reason to buy PSWii and dont want a 360.... therefor... tadaa.. Sucky gaming enviroment over there.

I will be proven right when the Wii turns it all around when it begins get loads of AAA Japanese content.

I don't remember calling you a sony fanboy, sorry if I did but that IS how you come across. I also didn't call you an M$ hater I said would it be fair to call you one for this post in relation to you calling me a sony hater in my thread (where I gave no sony hate).

Again the reasons you hate Microsoft marketing/talk/commercials can be applied to Sony! 5 million bricks anyone??

"just step outside of your fanboy foxhole" - boy you can dish out but you can't take it can you, I am a 360 fan, I have nothing against the Wii it just doesn't appeal to me. And as for Sony and the PS3, I don't like how they have been ignorant, throwing their weight around, and I don't think they have put half the effort in this gen that Microsoft and Nintendo have. Thats why I like seeing the PS3 last, because they deserve to be, I didn't say they deserve to fail or go out of business, they deserve to be last.

So lets say your theory is right? So what? Microsoft are a business trying to break into a difficult market and they bought some popular japanese games to help out. What do you exactly expect them to do, let Sony and Nintendo walk all over them? I still don't believe the decline in Japan is because of M$, there have been a lot of articals saying the Japanese are just too busy these days and are more into handhelds. They seem to be doing just fine don't they?

forgive me for taking your constant defense of all things 360 and constant praise and glory for it recently better sales as fayboyism... I guess you were just happy for them right. I did not say MS whole goal was to f up sony, that is what Crazzyman is implying. I said a by product of there market penetration attempts is hurting the market as a whole. The fact you are spewing with such ferver over this is what makes me believe you are indeed a fanboy... There marketing makes me feel stupid everytime I am hit with it. And yes sony's marketing is rather pointless too, there are many reasons the PS3 is sitting in the crapper right now.

But this thread was not about the PS3 or Wii. It was about how the 360 is hurting the japanese market more than it is helping.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

@bigjon

I believe you are referring to the Pachter doctrine, and to an extent I do think the argument is a valid one. Unfortunately there are consumers that allow nationalism, and racism to cloud their judgment. That is also not necessarily a Japanese mindset. That however does not make Microsoft's strategy one of merely cock blocking Sony. Every company that has ran head long into this particular wall has a choice between capitulation or stubborn tenacity.

With enough persistence the wall can be torn down. So that is part of the strategy Microsoft has adopted. They know it is not going to be easy, but they are going to keep at it until they get through, and find consumer acceptance. Yes it will eventually happen. You want to know something else its succeeding. Little by little they are forcing their way into that market. So much so they beat Sony for six solid weeks this year. Had I told you that the previous year you would have looked at me like I was brain dead.

Microsoft is like a force of nature it erodes the competition. Basically it is inevitable that Microsoft is going to break its way full bore into that market, and the regions consumers are going to not only tolerate it, but will eventually accept it.

reptile168 said:
if you want to go theory, then world war 2 perhaps? Japan was going to eat China until US interfered and push Axis out of the way.

Actually that was SU which crashed Kwantung Army in Manchuria ;)