By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii: 4 million units in December 2008!?

Chrizum said:
I don't think the Wii will break the PS2's record to be honest. 2.6 million is my guess.

You are insane.

:-p

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
I don't think the Wii will break the PS2's record to be honest. 2.6 million is my guess.

Well... if not this year, next year seems a solid bet.

Unless you are making a funny.

4 million seems well improbable but I thought 2 million outside of any month than December would have been impossible as well.

It's really going to depend on if supplies are there. According to Nintendo they wanted to have about 52 million units of Wii shipped by March 2009. Let's assume that about 5 million of that goes towards the final Quarter of the fiscal year. That means by December 2008 they will have shipped 47 million. After 1 week of December we are just over 40 million in sales. 7 million left to go so it's hard to imagine 3.5 million towards the Americas, with 2.5 million in E/O, and 1 million in Japan. More than likely it'll be 3 million to the Americas, 3 million to E/O and 1 million to Japan.

However Nintendo did say for November and December they upped production so it's possibly the amount they upped it buy may be about a million which would allocate a little more to America and Europe. It's doubtful they would ship too much more to Japan considering retailers probably still have enough left over to help satisfy the holiday rush.

So I think the 4 million number would only be possible if Nintendo has shipped about 48 million worldwide by the end of the year. Of course they would also need a virtual sellout of that in America, which isn't to doubtful.

I like Bacon said:
Chrizum said:

You are insane.

How so? So far, The Wii has sold less than 500k in december in the US. It has 3,5 weeks left. Next week will be its best week, probably selling around 750k. That makes 1.35m. 3rd week will be around 600k, and the last 4 days will be around 250k. That makes for a total of 2.2 million. So in fact, I even think 2.6 million is a tad too high.

2.5 million maybe, but certainly not more than that. I can't believe any sane person would think it has any chance to sell 4 million in 4,5 weeks in the US.

Chrizum said:
I like Bacon said:
Chrizum said:

You are insane.

How so? So far, The Wii has sold less than 500k in december in the US. It has 3,5 weeks left. Next week will be its best week, probably selling around 750k. That makes 1.35m. 3rd week will be around 600k, and the last 4 days will be around 250k. That makes for a total of 2.2 million. So in fact, I even think 2.6 million is a tad too high.

2.5 million maybe, but certainly not more than that. I can't believe any sane person would think it has any chance to sell 4 million in 4,5 weeks in the US.

In fairness, this is going by NPD numbers, not VGChartz numbers.

For whatever reason.

Around the Network

never mind then. >_>; I was thinking WW for some reason.

as for the U.S. only, I do think it will beat the PS2's record slightly.

I like Bacon said:
Chrizum said:

You are insane.

Well it's not that insane actually not likely either.  It could happen where it would be just under it like that.  Usually consoles that have big Novembers will sometimes not have as large of increases in December.  360 might prove that this year. 

But considering Wii is selling out and we know that at least 3.5 million will be shippped to the Americas, it's hard to think that it wouldn't be able to do it.

Chrizum said:
I like Bacon said:
Chrizum said:

You are insane.

In all fairness, VGChartz just increased its weekly estimate for this week which makes it just a bit less than 600k (americas) for this week. Best week last year it sold 750k in the americas, and I think that it could best that by at least 50%, given supply, this year. All other numbers equal, and you're at least looking at 400k plus your prediction.

Yes. I just predicted at least one 1 million plus week in the americas. Crazy, I know.

Besides, we're looking at the NPD numbers, so what NPD will report for december is the real measure here. Not that I know if that will change anything or not.

This is invisible text!