By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Knight shifts 600,000 on blu-ray

This is a piece of poitive news for Sony even though they aren't the only blu-ray device they remain the only one that can play games as well. Big blu-ray movies like The Dark Knight can help. This is the second biggest movie of all time after all and people want it in its best possible version.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
taxman said:
HappySqurriel said:

I still think your getting ahead of yourself ...

The PS3 version of GTA4 is still sold better eventhough the PS3's userbase then was far smaller than Blu-Ray's userbase today. Being that The Dark Knight is (probably) very high on the list of most wanted Blu-Ray movies for the market demographic that has adopted Blu-Ray already, the sales are not that amazing; basically, you would expect a disproportionate number of people to buy The Dark Night on Blu-Ray than most movies because of the demographics.

Big sales in movies like Momma-Mia and High School Musical would be more telling that Blu-Ray was being adopted beyond the crowd of people who were buying a PS3 already.

It's the new movies that will eventually make people consider the format for the older movies as well... However, no one is going to buy mediocre films on BR unless the price is as low as the DVD.

So how did Momma-Mia and Sex in the city do on Blu-Ray? They're two of the biggest movies of the year and represent a demographic that would (probably) not already own a PS3 to play games with ... In other words they are pretty good tests to see if Blu-Ray is reaching out to new demographics.

600,000 is very good sales, but it doesn't show anything except that PS3 owners are willing to buy Blu-Ray movies on occasion.

I agree with HappySquirrel.  I will be truly impressed with BR when it shifts massive amounts of copies or movies that are not as visually impressive as TDK.  Those kind represent only a small amount of new releases.

Good for TDK but like most other people here i believe that it is the exception not the rule. I dont have a blu-ray player yet and have no desire until the Blu-Ray discs cost nearly the same as a regular DVD. i mean why the hell are most colletor's edition BD cost between $35-40 when the same for DVD is $20-$25. As soon as theyre equal in price i start buying Blu-ray

Long Live SHIO!

Infamous said:

So with DVD sales TRIPLING BR sales, we get comments like "Microsoft to eat their words?"

ROFLMAO. I love this site.

Look here...

BR account for 25% of the sales and that is 600,000

So 600,000 x 4

= 2.4 million sold alltogether  1.8 million are DVD and,600,000 are BR.

bigjon said:
hmm, I think there are alot of people like me with the Dark Knight..

It is the only movie I am buying on BD, for the rest of this year. I think to most people TDK is such an awsome movie it is worth the premium price to have the BD.

I don't know about a lot, but I'm with you on this. It's the freakin Dark Knight! Only watched it in IMAX in theaters

Anyway, some people are getting a bit ahead of themselves here. I don't doubt Bluray might catch on, but this movie is definitely bias towards those into... the whole HD stuff.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
taxman said:
HappySqurriel said:

I still think your getting ahead of yourself ...

The PS3 version of GTA4 is still sold better eventhough the PS3's userbase then was far smaller than Blu-Ray's userbase today. Being that The Dark Knight is (probably) very high on the list of most wanted Blu-Ray movies for the market demographic that has adopted Blu-Ray already, the sales are not that amazing; basically, you would expect a disproportionate number of people to buy The Dark Night on Blu-Ray than most movies because of the demographics.

Big sales in movies like Momma-Mia and High School Musical would be more telling that Blu-Ray was being adopted beyond the crowd of people who were buying a PS3 already.

It's the new movies that will eventually make people consider the format for the older movies as well... However, no one is going to buy mediocre films on BR unless the price is as low as the DVD.

So how did Momma-Mia and Sex in the city do on Blu-Ray? They're two of the biggest movies of the year and represent a demographic that would (probably) not already own a PS3 to play games with ... In other words they are pretty good tests to see if Blu-Ray is reaching out to new demographics.

600,000 is very good sales, but it doesn't show anything except that PS3 owners are willing to buy Blu-Ray movies on occasion.

Biggest movies of the year?  Please, they had about 1/3 of the gross box office receipts.

The Dark Knight:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darkknight.htm

Domestic Total as of Dec. 10, 2008: $530,594,370

Mamma Mia:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mammamia.htm

Domestic Total Gross: $143,762,955

Sex and the City:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=sexandthecity.htm

Domestic Total Gross: $152,647,258

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

1337 Gamer said:
Good for TDK but like most other people here i believe that it is the exception not the rule. I dont have a blu-ray player yet and have no desire until the Blu-Ray discs cost nearly the same as a regular DVD. i mean why the hell are most colletor's edition BD cost between $35-40 when the same for DVD is $20-$25. As soon as theyre equal in price i start buying Blu-ray

They are more expensive to make and the quality of the product is higher.  Why would they be equal in price?  Were DVD's equal in price with VHS's when they came out? 

I think some people's demands are completely unrealistic and ignore similar product transitions in history.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

This is a humorous topic. People arguing that this isn't good for BR are just hilarious. Yeah, it's not representative of the format's success as a whole. Duh. If it were, then either that would be the story or there wouldn't be one at all. The thing is, TDK is doing better than any other BR has done so far, and by a fair margin as well. This is a sign of improvement for the format, and when combined with the high hardware sales for Black Friday, it's pretty damn obvious that the future is only looking up for BR.

Really, I can see how this isn't that big a deal, since TDK is tailor-made for the type of people that'd buy BR in the first place, but it's certainly nothing to be brushed off without consideration and it does a fine job of proving the nay-sayers wrong. Many formats never even come this close to the market leader, and DVD wasn't doing anything like this a mere two years after launch.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ChichiriMuyo said:
This is a humorous topic. People arguing that this isn't good for BR are just hilarious. Yeah, it's not representative of the format's success as a whole. Duh. If it were, then either that would be the story or there wouldn't be one at all. The thing is, TDK is doing better than any other BR has done so far, and by a fair margin as well. This is a sign of improvement for the format, and when combined with the high hardware sales for Black Friday, it's pretty damn obvious that the future is only looking up for BR.

Really, I can see how this isn't that big a deal, since TDK is tailor-made for the type of people that'd buy BR in the first place, but it's certainly nothing to be brushed off without consideration and it does a fine job of proving the nay-sayers wrong. Many formats never even come this close to the market leader, and DVD wasn't doing anything like this a mere two years after launch.

I'd like people to point out one Laser Disc title that ever managed to do this well on the first day, since they so often love to compare Blu-Ray to Laser Disc.

It's because the majority didn't have internet by the time DVDs were released to succeed VHS, and they weren't getting sales info unless it was published in magazines or TV shows... Many of them didn't even know that DVDs were released 1996 in Japan, 1997 in the US, 1998 in Europe, they only knew the format recently or 2 years into its lifespan...

For them, i highly recommend to do a little research about DVD-VHS marketshare, 1st DVD million sellers, etc., and then do the comparison...