By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Knight shifts 600,000 on blu-ray

Bu, bu, but I read Blu-Ray was dead? Apparently not...

Around the Network

So with DVD sales TRIPLING BR sales, we get comments like "Microsoft to eat their words?"

ROFLMAO. I love this site.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

I still think your getting ahead of yourself ...

The PS3 version of GTA4 is still sold better eventhough the PS3's userbase then was far smaller than Blu-Ray's userbase today. Being that The Dark Knight is (probably) very high on the list of most wanted Blu-Ray movies for the market demographic that has adopted Blu-Ray already, the sales are not that amazing; basically, you would expect a disproportionate number of people to buy The Dark Night on Blu-Ray than most movies because of the demographics.

Big sales in movies like Momma-Mia and High School Musical would be more telling that Blu-Ray was being adopted beyond the crowd of people who were buying a PS3 already.

The kind of kick in the back BR needed... With lower prices of the players and reasonable prices for the movies (DN was cheap in comparison to other new BR releases) the format will dominate in 2 years, it's as inevitable as a new Intel processor being released

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

A lot of PS3 owners, who don't buy movies, might have picked up Batman since this IS the biggest movie of the year

Around the Network

Infamous...blu-ray is gaining market share not loosing it, microsoft believes blu-ray is a dead format. 30% market share of the biggest movie of the year isnt bad.

mM
HappySqurriel said:

I still think your getting ahead of yourself ...

The PS3 version of GTA4 is still sold better eventhough the PS3's userbase then was far smaller than Blu-Ray's userbase today. Being that The Dark Knight is (probably) very high on the list of most wanted Blu-Ray movies for the market demographic that has adopted Blu-Ray already, the sales are not that amazing; basically, you would expect a disproportionate number of people to buy The Dark Night on Blu-Ray than most movies because of the demographics.

Big sales in movies like Momma-Mia and High School Musical would be more telling that Blu-Ray was being adopted beyond the crowd of people who were buying a PS3 already.

It's the new movies that will eventually make people consider the format for the older movies as well... However, no one is going to buy mediocre films on BR unless the price is as low as the DVD.

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

Infamous said:

So with DVD sales TRIPLING BR sales, we get comments like "Microsoft to eat their words?"

ROFLMAO. I love this site.

Tripling? when BR is 30%, and DVD is 60% (well 70), that's tripling? more like doubling+.

Point is: BR is gaining weight. HDTV's are gaining weight. From here on - only higher. And yes - MS should eat their words, they said it'd be the next UMD, no?

These numbers look good, but the DVD version will probably outsell the Blu-Ray one by a larger margin for months to come.

First day buyers = enthusiastic movie fans = people who tend to have Blu-Ray (i.e. the same reason why core games have less legs than casual ones)

Definitely good news for Blu-Ray, but let's not pretend it has 30% of the market share even for new movies.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

i think you guys are forgetting this movie made $996,533,730, so of course the sales of all the formats would do good