By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Expects They Doubled Playstation Sales in November

From Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/5106918/microsoft-expects-they-doubled-playstation-sales-in-november

With a casual-friendly interface, a low-priced console and a bevy of games, Microsoft believes that their Xbox 360 may have more than doubled Playstation sales last month, Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Xbox 360 said today.

And we won't' have long to wait to see if they are right, official NPD numbers are expected tomorrow.

"The PS3 is a third player, they are at risk of reaching a single digit market share," Greenberg added. "They are a premium priced product in a tough economic time. They have a tough position to try and sell a product.

"The window of time when they were the cheapest Blu-ray player, those days have passed now."

Greenberg says that the key to success in a three console market is to differentiate your console, something he believes Microsoft has managed to do while Sony hasn't.

"The type of experience we are delivering is very different than the Wii," he said. Microsoft and Nintendo "are both doing really well delivering our different experiences. I think the problem that the PS3 is running into is that they are trying to deliver the same experience (as the Xbox 360) at twice the price."

Greenberg believes Sony is floundering, and places the blame for that squarely on the shoulders of Blu-ray.

Sony "has made a very expensive product built on the promise of Blu-ray," he said. "That hasn't worked out for them. Blu-ray is clearly not the next DVD."

And while Greenberg acknowledges the Wii's successes, he doesn't seem Nintendo's console as a threat to the Xbox 360.

"We see a lot of data that households are buying the wii60," he said. "But at the end of the day Xbox is where they spend the bulk of time. They want entertainment, Netflix, movies, games."

"We think those consumers (Wii owners) will want to upgrade."

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Around the Network

Microsoft and Nintendo aren't competing, but Microsoft uses Nintendo's first place spot to push Sony to third.
I hate these guys...

Another, "Ignore the Wii, because it is a fad."  By the time Wii owners want to upgrade, there will be new consoles coming out.

"I think the problem that the PS3 is running into is that they are trying to deliver the same experience (as the Xbox 360) at twice the price."  This is true, and the core of PS3's problem.

He sure is arrogant for a company with a 13% market share in the US this year.

US Sales in 08

Wii 9,357,166 29%
DS 9,224,594 29%
X360 4,238,975 13%
PSP 3,477,090 11%
PS3 3,326,885 10%
PS2 2,452,382 8%

sounds about right according to the VGC numbers. We shall see.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Some of the points are valid. Sony can no longer argue that the PS3 offers a better value.

The Xbox 360 does games as good or better than the PS3 so far. It's $199.
There are BD players available for $150.

You can have both features, assuming you want both features, for $350. And you have component cables included.

Around the Network

NPD allows some clients to see data on Wednesday the day before it is released (if they desire/pay for it) so presumably this what Greenberg is basing his claims on given that he always seems to claim these sorts of things on Wednesdays before NPD.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

WiiStation360 said:

Another, "Ignore the Wii, because it is a fad."  By the time Wii owners want to upgrade, there will be new consoles coming out.

"He sure is arrogant for a company with a 13% market share in the US this year.

??? He did not ignore the Wii. He gave them kudos for delivery a different kind of experience. He said they are very successful and said nothing about "fad" .

I think he is feeling pretty good about the Q4 results of the 360. Yes, 2008 started rough for the console but in Q4 they pulled out all the stops and the results are showing. Doubling the sales of the PS3 is impressive, and I think can feel good about it.

Part of me hopes the NPD numbers show a completely different scenario. Only so MS can stop with the constant shit talking.

chasmatic12 put it perfectly.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

TheSource said:

NPD allows some clients to see data on Wednesday the day before it is released (if they desire/pay for it) so presumably this what Greenberg is basing his claims on given that he always seems to claim these sorts of things on Wednesdays before NPD.

I also noticed that and I do expect him to have the NPD data at hand right now. NPD must give the companies some lead time to prepare the PR statement. Also, they are paying NPD. We are not.

That said, the statement about doubling the sales does not seem to be limited to the US. 

Did they double Wii sales?

lol @ upgrading to 360 from Wii.