By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Microsoft allow people to use keyboards/mice ?

Looks good but I wonder how many people buy it just to get an unfair advantage with online games :( Don't get me wrong I want a keyboard and mouse on the 360 and that does the job but in a way it would be possible to tell who was using a keyboard/mouse and who wasn't.

Around the Network

@Gameboy your sig is pretty ridiculous.

The difference between PS2 and GC/Xbox is nowhere near as big as the difference between Wii and PS3/360 this gen.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Legend11 said:

I think it would go a long way in helping people to enjoy strategy games and first person shooters more and the system could be used to browse the internet/play HD videos, etc. The original reason why Microsoft said they didn't want to was so that the Xbox wouldn't be seen as just a PC but since the competition is allowing web browsing, etc, I can't see that being a problem.

I personally will not play FPS, RTS, or RPGs on consoles until keyboard and mice are made consistently available.

No, thats not true. I just need something that fits the following requirements:

1) Allows precise motion control
2) Has 100+ buttons and allows me to remap them as I see fit

That doesnt have to be a mouse and keyboard, but obviously a mouse and keyboard is the easiest solution to that problem.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Legend11 said:
Looks good but I wonder how many people buy it just to get an unfair advantage with online games :( Don't get me wrong I want a keyboard and mouse on the 360 and that does the job but in a way it would be impossible to tell who was using a keyboard/mouse and who wasn't.

Yeah, it is a pickle isn't it? I totally agree that adding mouse/keyboard support (a la UT3 for the PS3) is a good thing, but it immediately presents its own problems. Basically, anyone who goes out, spends more cash and gets a mouse/keyboard automatically has an advantage over those who have not done so. It's actually why I said "consistently available" in my last post, and not just "available." 

I'm not at all suggesting that Sony/Epic shouldn't go ahead with the plans, because I think it's a good thing and a move in the right direction. I'm just not sure how to solve the problem you've pointed out, because I can certainly imagine people who use Keyboard/Mice on the PS3 basically ruining the experience for many controller users. Getting pwned is not very fun for extended periods of time.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

^^ yeah thats a bummer, but the problem is that UT games are fast as hell and I don´t see how I could play one without a mouse, lots of other shooters are great on consoles but games like UT are made for mouse and keybord

maybe you could see when connecting online what the other players are useing ??? that might help... 

Around the Network

UT3 will have the option of playing without keyboard users I think.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Yeah i agree that microsoft should allow mouse and keyboard especially when UT3 comes out. Im definitely getting UT3 when its coming out and if the PS3 version has Mouse Keyboard then im buying that version since I still have to upgrade my PC graphics Card( hopefully someone buys me a PC graphics Card

I think it'd be nice for them to give the option to use them, but only if you always have the option not to play with those people in a multiplayer game, like what they're doing with UT3 on PS3, since it would definitely be unfair for most games.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |