By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Bug in the website mail system?

I just got an message that won't allow me to reply to it (when I press the reply button nothing happens).  I checked my older messages and they all allow me to reply to them.  I guess it's not a huge deal since I can just create a new mail message instead of replying to the one I received but I thought I'd mention it.

Around the Network

Yes, same thing happened to me. I click on reply on my most recent email and the button does the little animation it's pressed, but nothing happens.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Didn´t Gball have that problem ??? While I´m at it, is she comming back ? And who let the back door open for Hus to come back :) ???

By the way, nice new avatar ioi, thanx for the PC section too :) 

well I dont have that problem...I was just messaging someone and I hit the reply button and everything is fine..IDK @_@

Ok to help narrow down the problem I noticed it happened in a reply by a mod to a posting I reported. I assume that when a person reports a posting it goes into a system in which all of the mods see it, I think the problem is caused when a mod replies to a user in that system.

Around the Network

I also don't think it's a big deal, a new message can just be made, but to help pin it down more. I'm unable to respond to a message from EEPiccolo, that was a reply to a message of mine. So in my case the mods are not involved at all. And Legend11 is right, all my older emails work just fine.

I think it might have happened to me a couple times as well...

It hasn't happened in the past month or so though.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Actually I just looked at the source for the page that it's happening on and I suspect that it has something to do with the use of single quotes in the subject line of the message I received causing a parsing error with the html code for the reply button. If anyone wants to test it out I can send someone here a message with the same subject line as the one I received and couldn't reply to, I suspect the person I send the message to won't be able to reply to it either.

Source for "Reply" button for message where the button doesn't work:

<input type="button" value="Reply" onclick="location.href='sendmessage.php?to=247&subject=He 'who'???&quote=6819'">

The first single quote in the subject that I have highlighted closes the single quote before sendmessage.

Well, the email I'm having trouble with does have a single quote in the subject.

ioi said:
yes, well spotted

I'll make some adjustments

Is this site built on an existing codebase? Or did you build it from scratch?  I've mentally toyed around with the idea of creating a forum CMS, but I've never had the time, nor the motivation for that matter.

Just curious...