By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Just How Did Sony Topple It's Console Empire with PS3?

GTAIV08 said:
CrazzyMan said:
@BengaBenga, there were some profitable quarters. =)

your the only person on this site that likes ps3. on this forum maybe there are like only 5 ps3 owners.

Lots of people on site love the PS3.

(Lots of people loved the Dreamcast as well............. looks around, ducks for cover)

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network
GTAIV08 said:
CrazzyMan said:

your the only person on this site that likes ps3. on this forum maybe there are like only 5 ps3 owners.

LoL, LOL, lol, lol, lol, LoL, lol, MEGA LOL. =)))))))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:

That's true. No profitable year though. And the profitability is definitely not because of the PS3, but because of PSP and PS2 sales. I did say SCE though, so you're right. I hope for Sony that Q4 is profitable, PSP is doing quite well, but PS2´s decrease must be worrying for Sony.

Eh, wat?

Hey, I like PS3.  Cheap blu-ray player, I enjoy my 500gb HDD, I enjoy it's exclusive games more than other consoles exclusive games, and I enjoy my games with an install because I freakin hate the pop-up I get with some 360 releases.  Prety sure I make 6 people that like PS3 though.

On the bright side for sony, their hardware now about breaks even cost to sale.

I think more people should just get a 2nd job and buy all 3 systems.

Bboid said:

Where did you read that?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Bboid said:

Where did you read that?

production cost has been halved since january 08 which puts it in the 400-450 range and rumored to be around 400 since jan-may 08.  Most estimate a breakeven/ small loss. This was in almost every gaming blog/online chronicle/WSJ print in january 08.

Bboid said:
NJ5 said:
Bboid said:

Where did you read that?

production cost has been halved since january 08 which puts it in the 400-450 range and rumored to be around 400 since jan-may 08.  Most estimate a breakeven/ small loss.

You also have to factor in the currency values, which pretty much wipes out any cost savings for sales outside of Japan.

FishyJoe said:
Bboid said:
NJ5 said:
Bboid said:

Where did you read that?

production cost has been halved since january 08 which puts it in the 400-450 range and rumored to be around 400 since jan-may 08.  Most estimate a breakeven/ small loss.

You also have to factor in the currency values, which pretty much wipes out any cost savings for sales outside of Japan.

That is entirely true as well.  In a vacuum it breaks even.  I would imagine this would affect every japanease company.  Im sure the lowering price of commodities to produce parts is dropping and might offset that a bit.  silica sand has been on the fall lately after a mid year spike.

Bboid said:
FishyJoe said:
Bboid said:
NJ5 said:
Bboid said:

Where did you read that?

That is entirely true as well.  In a vacuum it breaks even.  I would imagine this would affect every japanease company.  Im sure the lowering price of commodities to produce parts is dropping and might offset that a bit.  silica sand has been on the fall lately after a mid year spike.

They are still taking a hit every sale.

Break even has not yet been reached.

The minute it is Sony will put out an announcement to that effect.

Their stockholders will demand it !

@radioioRobert
The problem is that while they were considering only the ps3 as a successor for their console, now they're beginning to have a look at the other consoles; but sure, you're absolutely right, BC plays a major role and indeed I think many would choose the ps3 if it had BC and they wouldn't still playing PES 2009 for ps2.

@GTAIV08
http://www.vgchartz.com/poll/results.php
Never heard of polls? I thought that 1024 (37% of the site) was bigger than 5...

Sometimes even if you know what you are going to lose, you got to go fight. That's part of being a man.  Eikichi Onizuka