By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - M$ Greenberg talk much smack!

I believe Sony isnt completely aiming at the same market as Microsoft, I believe they are aiming at the broader market. Home shows that they arent aiming at the same people. They are focusing on both core and casual gamers and also movie watchers.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

@ Squilliam - the PS3 represented 14.8% of home console sales in the Americas this week. If a console is on 14% and sell 14.8% a week then its market share is slowly rising (well effectively holding steady)

scottie said:
@ Squilliam - the PS3 represented 14.8% of home console sales in the Americas this week. If a console is on 14% and sell 14.8% a week then its market share is slowly rising (well effectively holding steady)

I think he might be talking about weekly market share rather than overall sales.

Tease.

Yeah that single digit claim is pretty bold of him but just a side note. I forget who (Hryuken I think) but someone on here was saying MS probablly outsold sony by 1mil consoles when nov. npd comes... if MS sold double than that means Ps3 has 1mil for november and 360 has 2 million..... oh geez.

C8 said:
leatherhat said:
Microsofts only goal with this gen has been to beat sony, they have no other interest. As long as at the end of the gen they can say they sold one more xbox then ps3, they will be happy, they have no interest in actually doing something for the game community

Nothing, other than delivering huge improvements in online play, achievements, social play, great graphics, some innovative 1st/2nd party games (some with huge sales, others with just new ideas), and being the first to market with an internet video store for your TV, then adding Netflix 2 years later - all at an ever decreasing price point.  Come on, I agree what the MS rep wrote is arrogant - but how you interpret this as "have no interest in doing something for the game community" - no idea.

All along Wii's differentiator was motion controls, Xbox's was the best online, and Sony's was BluRay - but BluRay is becoming less relevant both because the players have gotten to less than half the price of a PS3 and because it's not growing at the rate Sony hoped - while the Xbox is adding more casual features and more in the internet video space.  Nintendo's still firmly the only console with great motion controls (PS3 tried a little here, even Xbox tried a little with Lips, but really - it's nothing next to Wii).  And of course Nintendo has the big buzz.  PS3 was living on last gen's accomplishments - something that becomes less and less relevant as we move further into this gen.

Yes, PS3 will improve if they drop their price - but IMO even matching the Xbox price (for equivalent hardware - say 60GB or 80GB PS3 for $300) I still think they will be beat by some (smaller) margin by the 360.

K im an xbox Fan but i cannot see it equaling the PS3's sales if they were the same price. I dont think they would be very far off but i think the PS3 would win most months. Even though Blu-ray isnt taking off i doubt people wouldnt want it if it was cheap enough. I mean its pretty much same game selection with free blu-ray i mean i would have bought a PS3 first if this was the case

Long Live SHIO!

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
scottie said:

I think he might be talking about weekly market share rather than overall sales.

Haha, we can keep getting more specific till it's actually correct :P

But yes, I will agree that he does have a reason to do a bit of gloating

1337 Gamer said:
C8 said:
leatherhat said:
Microsofts only goal with this gen has been to beat sony, they have no other interest. As long as at the end of the gen they can say they sold one more xbox then ps3, they will be happy, they have no interest in actually doing something for the game community

Nothing, other than delivering huge improvements in online play, achievements, social play, great graphics, some innovative 1st/2nd party games (some with huge sales, others with just new ideas), and being the first to market with an internet video store for your TV, then adding Netflix 2 years later - all at an ever decreasing price point.  Come on, I agree what the MS rep wrote is arrogant - but how you interpret this as "have no interest in doing something for the game community" - no idea.

All along Wii's differentiator was motion controls, Xbox's was the best online, and Sony's was BluRay - but BluRay is becoming less relevant both because the players have gotten to less than half the price of a PS3 and because it's not growing at the rate Sony hoped - while the Xbox is adding more casual features and more in the internet video space.  Nintendo's still firmly the only console with great motion controls (PS3 tried a little here, even Xbox tried a little with Lips, but really - it's nothing next to Wii).  And of course Nintendo has the big buzz.  PS3 was living on last gen's accomplishments - something that becomes less and less relevant as we move further into this gen.

Yes, PS3 will improve if they drop their price - but IMO even matching the Xbox price (for equivalent hardware - say 60GB or 80GB PS3 for $300) I still think they will be beat by some (smaller) margin by the 360.

K im an xbox Fan but i cannot see it equaling the PS3's sales if they were the same price. I dont think they would be very far off but i think the PS3 would win most months. Even though Blu-ray isnt taking off i doubt people wouldnt want it if it was cheap enough. I mean its pretty much same game selection with free blu-ray i mean i would have bought a PS3 first if this was the case

If the gap gets to big even a price drop wont help... the preception will be that Microsoft's console is the system to own over the PS3... much like what happened with the Xbox

1337 Gamer said:
C8 said:
leatherhat said:

Well ... perhaps we'll have an opportunity to see how that scenario plays out in the spring.  Personally (and I know many will disagree) Netflix support is more valuable than BluRay - it gets used more in my home.  And the video marketplace on Xbox also has vastly more TV content than the PS3 video marketplace and about the same amount of movie content.  (granted PS3 marketplace has the option to buy movies which Xbox lacks - but I'm not buying digital movies until they work almost everywhere).

Yes, I am an xbox fan - but I also do have all three consoles in my house at the moment (PS3 is borrowed, Wii I own but may sell before xmas when/if they get sold out at retail because even my 4yo doesn't seem interested in playing it).  BluRay does look fantastic to me - but I'm a home theater nut - I know many people who can't tell / don't care enough to try to tell.

I'd love to see these comments come back and kick him in the mouth. Please Sony do a price cut ASAP!

~Currently Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank: FTOD, and Resistance: Retribution~

heruamon said:

"The PS3 is a third player, they are at risk of reaching a single digit market share," Greenberg added. "They are a premium priced product in a tough economic time. They have a tough position to try and sell a product.

"The window of time when they were the cheapest Blu-ray player, those days have passed now."

Greenberg says that the key to success in a three console market is to differentiate your console, something he believes Microsoft has managed to do while Sony hasn't.

"The type of experience we are delivering is very different than the Wii," he said. Microsoft and Nintendo "are both doing really well delivering our different experiences. I think the problem that the PS3 is running into is that they are trying to deliver the same experience (as the Xbox 360) at twice the price."

"

hmmm... how is that thrash talking??

All those comments are basically true.. I haven't checked the link, but if these are what you consider thrash talking, then i'm just going to skip it...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)