By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are PS3 figures so low this close to Xmas?

One reason may be that it's got the least public appeal at the moment. Consoles with the most appeal get the greatest boost, the one in second gets a good boost. As for the PS3, it gets the lowest boost of them all.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network

The obvious, its price and the fact that is has good competition.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

200 vs 400
last year 300 vs 400

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Obiously it's a matter of quality of the X360 experience.

Despite the X360 costing $300 a whole three years after release, compared to $400 for the PS3 only two years after release, most gamers prefer the X360.

And the X360 has potential to drop the price even more than the PS3.

Bullet100000 said:
200 vs 400
last year 300 vs 400

don't you mean

300 vs 400

last year 350 vs 400

It is hard to compare the arcade with the ps3 in pricing.  The pro and elite are the 2 models that directly compare to the ps3 80gb/160gb

Around the Network

There is no point in comparing the different SKUs. They all can play the same games and give the same overall experience. Since the exclusive games are no longer a factor of differentiation (sorry for the spelling), the services and the price will have the larger influence. As for services, Microsoft did a very good job with the live, etc.

The main problem for Sony now is that what can the PS3 offer that X360 can't so that people will pay twice for it? BlueRay is no longer a significant advantage, it's services are not as good as Microsoft's and games are not an option since there are few blockbuster exclusives on both sides so it evens them out on this area.

So the question is: What can the PS3 do that no other can and is worth 200 extra?

price

people gotta realize that easily most of the 360 sales are that of the arcade sku even gamestop stated they cant keep the arcades in stock yet the other models they have plenty

$199 in the US makes it the cheapest "next gen" console on the market

so bad financial times the cheaper the console people are gunna flock to it

just wait next week data, then we will be sure.

I find it funny that almost no one gives credit for the 360 being a comparably good system, almost everyone in here says price.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Marketshare matters. 360 having the extra year to establish the brand matters. I think if we hadn't seen the RROD scare of a year and a half ago, the gap would be much greater.

People want what other people have. If all their friends have 360, they will want a 360 so they can play together. I think the growth in Live memberships and friends list adds and the like demonstrates this. MS just released a bunch of numbers since the NXE launch that shows that Live usage is through the roof - word of mouth and peer influence matters.

There will always be those who want what others DON'T have - but most people want to be part of the crowd. I think Wii/DS sales reflect that as well. They had a successful launch with something that grabbed people's interests and then it became one of those things that families HAVE to have or else you have bad parents, or you're not one of the cool older generation.

The more the gap grows, the more PS3 is going to struggle to gain a stronger foothold.

Add this to the price, and you have the current situation. If you have someone who is wavering on 360 or PS3, and their friends have a 360 AND it's cheaper? Sold. As the numbers swing in 360's favor, this will continue unless PS3 has some mindblowing games or 360 releases go absolutely in the tank quality- and interest-wise.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?