By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii vs PS3 sales:

Cursayer said: The PS3 is going to get much better over time. Most developers are only harnessing about 10% of the PS3's power. Resistance could easily be ported to the Wii. All they'd need to do is decrease the graphical quality and AI. Although there isn't anything amazing for the PS3 as of now, there will be soon. The same goes for the Wii, which is also not being fully harnessed. If you compare the graphical quality of the launch games (aside from Zelda) to the ones of Sonic and the Secret Rings, you'll see the difference. Wii is capable of rendering good graphics, although it's nowhere near as good as the 360 or PS3. This is mainly because Nintendo now has 9 gigabytes of space to work with instead of the small 1.5 gigabytes in the GameCube disc. Xbox 360 is going to do well, although not as well as the Wii or PS3. It's internal hardware isn't as advanced as the PS3's, and it has absolutely no innovation at all. It's going to need a better selection of games if it wants to survive in the long run.
And then you got the Sony people re-iterating how the PS3 is better than anything else in the world. The 360 has plenty of great hardware in it. It's not $800 worth of hardware like the PS3 is, but despite that, it's giving every PS3 game out and in development a great run for their money - at half the price! Sony has tried and tried to copy MS's online prowess - you don't think MS has innovation - try Xbox Online. It's a far far better network than Sony's is at the moment. Also, MS was the major system out there to make hard drives standard. Wireless controllers are another thing MS did - intergrating the wireless controllers into one port...Another thing Sony copied. Get facts straight before you post, sonny. Back to the PS3. In all honesty, what did everyone think would happen with the PS3 at launch? It's a $500-$600 system. That's more than any other system in the history of gaming, except for the Neo Geo. Between the high price, and difficulty of manufacturing the hardware needed for the system, anyone thinking it'd do better than what it has needs their head checked. It's not selling like the Wii because Sony isn't selling the PS3 for $250, nor have the manufacturing abilities to just throw out 4m units in a 1 and 1/2 month time period. The PS3 is selling like it should - slow in Japan, mediocre in the US and lots of hype in Europe. For the price, it's doing very good. The commendation or condemnation will be in December 2007. Will consumers buy the Wii, PS3 or 360 worldwide?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

mrstickball said:Wireless controllers are another thing MS did - intergrating the
Ummm wavebird anyone? 1st quality wirelss controller.
Will consumers buy the Wii, PS3 or 360 worldwide?
This has been debated to death on this forum. Granted that's the purpose of the site. Can anyone guess what my answer is, anyone? Short version: (within 7yrs or by the time next-next gen comes out) 1. Wii - 45+m 2. 360 - 35+m 3. PS3 - 35+m

Cursayer said: The PS3 is going to get much better over time. Most developers are only harnessing about 10% of the PS3's power. Resistance could easily be ported to the Wii. All they'd need to do is decrease the graphical quality and AI. Although there isn't anything amazing for the PS3 as of now, there will be soon. The same goes for the Wii, which is also not being fully harnessed. If you compare the graphical quality of the launch games (aside from Zelda) to the ones of Sonic and the Secret Rings, you'll see the difference. Wii is capable of rendering good graphics, although it's nowhere near as good as the 360 or PS3. This is mainly because Nintendo now has 9 gigabytes of space to work with instead of the small 1.5 gigabytes in the GameCube disc. Xbox 360 is going to do well, although not as well as the Wii or PS3. It's internal hardware isn't as advanced as the PS3's, and it has absolutely no innovation at all. It's going to need a better selection of games if it wants to survive in the long run.
1. Resistance: Fall of Man does not use only 10% of the PS3's power. There will be most probably better graphics than the game, but it won't be as much as you expect :P. 2. The Wii can't handle Resistance: Fall of Man 3. The PS3 hasn't been proven to be stronger than the XBox 360, in fact Gamespot says otherwise in terms of lighting.

StarcraftManiac said: This is more a post to contradict MikeB... He is a great example of people who uses facts in his own way. Using stats of only the consoles that sold worse! So i just want to say, Dont make an image that isn't right! It's launch might have been better then X360's. But its much worse than Wii And the PS3 is still trailing behind Gamecube and PSP. Those 2 sold more on a 16 week basis after launch then PS3...
It's baffling to me that people like you completly choose to ignore the simple fact that the Wii is a much less expensive system and thus has to sell at least 2.5 consoles for every 1 PS3 sold to match. Also, guys like you would be the first to point out that the reason the PS2 is still out selling every other console is because it's obviously cheaper than anything out there ... expect for the GC and xbox which are cheaper but..erm - crap. Sorry didn't feel like being "PC" there. So you do get the concept of cheaper=more volume but chose to be ignorant about it.

It's baffling to me why so many people think that just because the Wii costs less, it has to sell 2.5 for every PS3. It's not the consoles' prices that matter as much in the long run, it's how many consoles were sold, along with the larger user-base. You can't talk just money, because the PS3 takes a loss on each system anyway. It's how many people own a PS3 and how many own a Wii that really matters.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said: It's baffling to me why so many people think that just because the Wii costs less, it has to sell 2.5 for every PS3. It's not the consoles' prices that matter as much in the long run, it's how many consoles were sold, along with the larger user-base. You can't talk just money, because the PS3 takes a loss on each system anyway. It's how many people own a PS3 and how many own a Wii that really matters.
Also, Nintendo makes a profit on every Wii sold, so look at it this way. 2.5Wiis = Profit for Nintendp 1 PS3 = Loss for Sony. Last I checked, profit is good, losses are bad.

BenKenobi88 said: It's baffling to me why so many people think that just because the Wii costs less, it has to sell 2.5 for every PS3. It's not the consoles' prices that matter as much in the long run, it's how many consoles were sold, along with the larger user-base. You can't talk just money, because the PS3 takes a loss on each system anyway. It's how many people own a PS3 and how many own a Wii that really matters.
Amen... Some other also said it, profit is the important thing. Something Sony has failed too do with PS3 so far.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

cell, rsx gonna be on 65n. EE will be remooved from ps3. according to sony, they gona stop loosing money in second half of 2007. and, in UK price for ps3 is ~860$. So everything will be fine with sony. 840$ - for 6 years. it`s 140$ a year, or just 11-12$ a month. IS that much for FFXIII, MGS4, Motorstorm, VF5, Uncharted, Lair, White Knight, DMC4, Heavenly Sword, Ninja gaiden sigma, F1, Tekken6, RE5, SH5, GT5 and etc. ?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

robjoh said: BenKenobi88 said: It's baffling to me why so many people think that just because the Wii costs less, it has to sell 2.5 for every PS3. It's not the consoles' prices that matter as much in the long run, it's how many consoles were sold, along with the larger user-base. You can't talk just money, because the PS3 takes a loss on each system anyway. It's how many people own a PS3 and how many own a Wii that really matters. Amen... Some other also said it, profit is the important thing. Something Sony has failed too do with PS3 so far.
Not to be pro-PS3, but there is a huge issue with price. It's not saying there is a secret formula like 2.5 to 1. However, in the history of video gaming, systems tend to do horrible when they're above $300. The commodore 64 home PC/gaming system was about the only one to buck the trend. Systems above $300USD Sega Dreamcast Sega Saturn Xbox 360 PS3 Neo Geo 3DO Systems below or at $300USD PS1/2 N64/SNES/GC/NES, ect Sega Genesis Xbox TG16 Jaguar Showing that list, the failure rate of systems above $350+ is horrendous. Looking at Sega, they lost their market share by going above $300. Neo Geo and 3DO also did very very poor at a price above the $300 mark. The 360 and PS3 are the only systems that will get above 20m consoles sold above that price. I believe this really shows that the price can be a huge detriment to sales. Why else would MS seek to make the 360 $300? Casuals/non hardcore gamers WILL NOT buy a system above $300. Look at history: very few people buy systems above the $300 mark. Still today, the PS2 is selling in droves. Why? Price and library. At $129, millions can afford buying the system. At $499, millions cannot. This will truely effect PS3 sales. Now, how it does at the $300 price will matter. Everyone says "oh wait till game X comes out". The Xbox 360 showed in November that a huge game WILL NOT sell systems at $400. Only a price drop will. The 360 sold barely above anything else in November, despite having a game at 2.5m unit sales and climbing. What mattered to consumers was when Microsoft started including a $100 gift card in December - which led to 1.3m units sold, and improved sales YOY over last January. Wii is selling great due to price + library + hyped/innovative technology. PS3 is selling on technology alone, and a promise of a good library a year from now. CrazzyMan - Half the games you listed, I will be playing on my 360 for half the price :)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Damn! 360 and Wii trolls are on every gaddamned forum nowadays! I'm done with this forum. You guys can have all the fun you want I'm just through with fanboi ignorance. BYE!