By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Home - Biggest ever Playstation software cash cow?

NJ5 said:
@Phrancheyez: If you think you did something wrong, just report yourself or better yet stop derailing the thread. I couldn't care less whether you're scared or not, I just don't like to be the guy running to tell mommy. I prefer talking to people directly.

I don't think I did anything wrong - what gives you that impression?  Why are you making things up now?  And of all things, accusing me of derailing the thread?  What exactly do you think you're doing?  If you want to talk to me directly - TALK TO ME DIRECTLY.  Send me a PM stating what you think and why, stop 'derailing the thread' with posts that have nothing to do with the OP, inciting more posts that also have nothing to do with the OP.  All I said is don't threaten to go tell mommy if you're not going to.  That post, your two before it, and now this are all completely off-topic and are doing nothing more than I am with this post, so lets just squash it now and continue on with the original topic, shall we?

Around the Network

"If you want to talk to me directly - TALK TO ME DIRECTLY."

Well, after getting attacked in public without a reason one usually gets the right to defend himself. Suddenly 3 or 4 people in this thread started pounding me offtopically without any reason, so let's not pretend I'm the one who derailed the thread. Don't try to turn things around please.

Over and out.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Wheres a facepalm graphic when you need it...*sigh*

Home won't make lots of money. Hoopla, rah-rah.

Phrancheyez said:

Agreed (at least regarding the micro-transactions part). I have no idea about the ad revenue.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Phrancheyez said:

I think that was what we both agreed on (at least regarding the micro-transactions part). I have no idea about the ad revenue.

In terms of ads, I just think it's bad timing.  If the global economy wasn't so bad, I think a few more companies might feel a little more compelled to at least try it.  Successful advertising is another story..and the cost to advertise as well.

Around the Network
dbot said:
Christhegamer said:
dbot said:
Christhegamer said:
I don't think home will be a cash cow, I think it will be bad for sony and the PS3. I like xboxlive as it is closed and there is no danager of anything getting uploaded or bad content. I let my 8 year old play on xboxlive with her friends, I would never let her play on home. All it will take is one or two stories about pedophiles that have moved from Second life to Home and that will bring all the good work down. There has already been conserns raised about this in the media and this is not good news for Sony. They will have to prove to me that it is safe for kids and after second life that is going to be hard.

There is currently a minimum age of 18 required for Home.  I wouldn't let my 8 year old on xbox live or PSN without supervision.  Same goes for Home if they remove the age requirement.

On XBL there are alot of parent controls so they don't get content or games that are not sutable for them. Also the enviroment is not open, they can add a friend without parent consent. Also where does it say XBL is for over 18, thats rubbish as it is on all consoles, which would mean nobody ouder 18 could play any games or turn it on. 

I think you should be aware that young people are at risk on any internet service.  They would be no more likely to run into bad people on PSN, Home, or Xbox Live regardless of parental controls.

http://www.destructoid.com/pedophile-admits-to-using-xbox-live-to-pick-up-children-67300.phtml

"Youtube user, self professed pedophile, and worthless human being Myidisphat has freely, and gleefully, admitted to using Xbox Live as a hunting ground to find and befriend young boys. "

Note: The closed beta of Home has an age requirement, I have no knowledge of age minimums for the open beta or full release.

I think I read that the age requirement for Home would be set to 13 once it became open to the public, which I think is fine. It's the sweet spot if you ask me.

Home is going to be a major cash cow. Sony is trying to work with as many companies as possible to turn the service into the next generation of the Internet. Can you imagine if Sony had ownership of the next Internet? Sony is taking all the best things about the internet and rolling them into one service, and more importantly under one username, and password.

The eventual goal for home for Sony from a consumer standpoint, is to allow people to buy directly from places like Nike, GAP, Warner, and basically any company that wants to joi in on the Home revenue wagon. We will be able to buy a T-shirt from GAP, and recive both a digital version for our avatar, and a physical version for our being. To me and many everyone I have showed Home to this is something they want very badly. It gives you the ease of a single login, and makes purchaseing a breeze due to skipping the regestration proccess everytime you shop somewhere new online. It also allows you to make a space that is personalized right down to the stuff you really own.

Home is like Second Life, Myspace, Facebook, iTunes, World of Warcraft, Xbox Live, and the mass of the consumer side of the internet rolled into one. I think this thing is going to be very big in the news all of next year, and for many years to come afterwards. As the PS3 becomes cheaper, and more mainstream people relize the simplisity of Home, and the convinince of shopping on the service, it will start to snowball. The amount of parteners in Home will grow rapidly, and it will not take long before we have places like Gamestop, Blockbuster, Walmart, and more wanting a piece of the pie. In no time I expect to see sites like IGN, 1up, VGchartz, and more jumping in with their own spaces. Home is going to become a phnomenon.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

How can you say it's not for gamers???? It's on a platform known as the SONY Playstation 3 Computer Entertainment System. The Playstation 3's main functionality is gaming isn't it??? If it wasn't for gamers then why would they put it on a system that's mainly revolved around BD gaming and movies??? Is it for the Movie lovers???? Because that makes even less sense......... why they hell would the have rooms for online games like warhawk if it were for movie lovers????

As for the "CashCow" thing, that's a potential yes. And am pretty sure SONY would love that to be the case.

4 ≈ One

DMeisterJ said:
Tons of companies have signed up to have Game Spaces or Content in Home.

Looks like all of the people who don't want it to do good are going to be very unhappy. Pubs/Devs seem to be on board with Home. I think it'll be a huge cash cow.

Agreed,especally if they advertise it on the commercials

KBG29 said:
Home is not going to be a major cash cow.   Sony is taking all the worse things about the internet and rolling them into one service

couldnt agree more.  the internet should be quick, easy to use, and take you right to what you want.  whereas home brings some of the worst things like ads, slowness, hassles, microtransactions, being surrounded by idiots etc

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur