By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony "intersted" in downloadable PS2 games

DMeisterJ said:
Kasz216 said:
bbsin said:
When demand of PS2 hardware and software falls enough, Sony will do what Microsoft did by releasing select PS2 titles via download.

I've been saying this for a long time now. I expect this to happen in 1-2 year

The question is... through BC compatability for all... or just by reworking individual games.

Well, the 80 gig already eschews the Emotion Engine and only keeps the Graphics Synthesizer, so all they would need is to emulate the graphics synthesizer since they've been able to Emulate the Emotion Engine using the Cell/RSX right? 

I mean, I know the compatibility number would be down, but they would just need to get the Graphics Synthesizer emulated, then on a game by game basis, tweak them.  It'd probably be a firmware update that does that (maybe adds an icon to XMB and runs the PS2 emulation program?), and then downloadable titles.  Obviously the DL titles would also work if you had the disk, and then there would be titles supported by the GS emulation.

And all you need to do to get cold fusion to work is to make the fusion cold.

It's a lot harder then you think.

The real problem is finding enough horsepower to run an emulated GS.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Kasz216 said:
bbsin said:
When demand of PS2 hardware and software falls enough, Sony will do what Microsoft did by releasing select PS2 titles via download.

I've been saying this for a long time now. I expect this to happen in 1-2 year

The question is... through BC compatability for all... or just by reworking individual games.

Well, the 80 gig already eschews the Emotion Engine and only keeps the Graphics Synthesizer, so all they would need is to emulate the graphics synthesizer since they've been able to Emulate the Emotion Engine using the Cell/RSX right? 

I mean, I know the compatibility number would be down, but they would just need to get the Graphics Synthesizer emulated, then on a game by game basis, tweak them.  It'd probably be a firmware update that does that (maybe adds an icon to XMB and runs the PS2 emulation program?), and then downloadable titles.  Obviously the DL titles would also work if you had the disk, and then there would be titles supported by the GS emulation.

And all you need to do to get cold fusion to work is to make the fusion cold.

It's a lot harder then you think.

lol.

I mean, I'm no engineer, but it seems like they got the Emotion Engine working pretty quickly to get production costs down.  I mean PS3 released in 2006 and by March 07 the Emotion engine was ready to be taken out (EU launch).

This would be great news, if it has a huge selection. I would love rare games on this list. Maybe some atlus games.

I REFUSE to buy any PS2 games from download of SONY especially as this feature was PROMISED at launch...

well I won't have to as I have a launch Ps3 so HA!

but I feel its really un-ethical to do this

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@dartdevidem01
They did live up to promise, the 20 and 60gb did have BC like promised.

Around the Network

They still do live up to their promise.

BC is still on the PS3.

It's PS1 b/c, but the b/c is still there.

@acevil

well the ones now don't & they have no right to charge new owners for PS2 games....no right whatsoever!

As it was a promised feature at launch of the PS3.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
I REFUSE to buy any PS2 games from download of SONY especially as this feature was PROMISED at launch...

well I won't have to as I have a launch Ps3 so HA!

but I feel its really un-ethical to do this

Then what are you complaining about, lol?

The PS3 launch owners get full BC built in, but paid more. The later adopters paid less for their PS3, but now get to select which PS2 games they get to play (for a price). In my eyes, it seems quite fair.

darthdevidem01 said:
@acevil

well the ones now don't & they have no right to charge new owners for PS2 games....no right whatsoever!

As it was a promised feature at launch of the PS3.

I agree with you, but it is sheer fact that they were taking away BC that I own a ps3 today. If it wasn't for that I most likely wouldn't own one until WKC/WKS.

I want GTA SA, GTA VC, and GTA: LCS on my HDD.