By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft To Lay Off 1,500 In California; 200 In L.A.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/layoffs/exclusive_microsoft_to_lay_off_1500_in_california_200_in_la_102788.asp?c=rss

It's actually yahooooooooolulululululu, dont know how to change the title

Around the Network

I know....

I wonder how long till we get threads like

"which 1st party divisions will MS lay off"

n crap like that.
____

On a more serious note.....I would hate to be someone who got a letter saying....you have been unemployed.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I believe you are supposed to actually insert article information and not just a link so I'm gonna hope you don't get warned before I put this here for ya =)

Microsoft, via an email from departing CEO Jerry Yang, told its California employees that on Wednesday, as many as 1,500 employees will be tossed, inside sources confided to FBLA.

No details were available regarding the email, but one employee who read it said Yang talked about the need to make cutbacks. This was in keeping with his statement in mid-November that Yahoo! would have to layoff as much as 10% of its global workforce. He targeted Dec. 10 as D-Day for these employees.

The layoffs, which could ultimately number as high as 2,000, are generally across the board, but human resources will likely take the biggest hit because their expenses are cost-based and most of their costs are staff.

Swisher said employees will be told Wednesday, but FBLA sources saw the email on Monday afternoon. Staff is supposedly allowing for a "normal seperation period," but that could mean that employees will have to exit within a few hours of being told.

Most employees do not know if they will be let go yet, Swisher maintained, because the cuts have not yet been made public.

Microsoft is playing it close to the vest because entire projects might be eliminated and the secrecy allows time to restructure further if necessary.

Swisher conjectures that rumors have surfaced of whole divisions being juggled among the bigger managers presumably to stake out territory before a new CEO is installed.

Meanwhile, Yang has not officially left his slot, though he said last month that he was planning on leaving.

Btw I only copy pasted what I felt was important in the article.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Yeah, it just got announced on the radio that Sony would be laying off ~8,000...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

When will the sacking stop! Half the world will be on benefits at this rate.

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
Yeah, it just got announced on the radio that Sony would be laying off ~8,000...

...worldwide, MS losing 1700 just in 2 areas in the US :O

Why would Yang, Yahoo's very recently former CEO, write an email to Microsoft employees?

I think this is Yahoo laying off 1,500 employees.

well 1 area actually , LA is in california :) Microsoft Game studios is based out of Redmond, WA

RPG said:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/layoffs/exclusive_microsoft_to_lay_off_1500_in_california_200_in_la_102788.asp?c=rss

Oh noes, MS is doomed! Rare being sold to Nintendo confirmed?

Just so you know.........sarcasm -_-

What kind of messed up reporting is this?  CEO Jerry Yang??!?!?

Yahoo is cutting 1500 jobs, not Microsoft.

"Microsoft, via an email from departing CEO Jerry Yang, told its California employees that on Wednesday, as many as 1,500 employees will be tossed, inside sources confided to FBLA."
Isn't Jerry Yang the CEO of Yahoo? Is this article supposed to be about Yahoo not MS?