By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Japanese opens 360 and investigates Overheating issue

havn't you seen the fake ads with the george forman grill superimposed with a ps3?

Around the Network
fazz said:

In only five minutes since we started playing the game, the temperature of the heat sink on the graphics LSI rose to 70°C. The thermal gradient was about 10°C/min.

In 15 minutes, the microprocessor heat sink temperature stabilized at 58°C, but the heat sink on the graphics LSI rose to 80°C, 57°C above the room temperature.

Assuming room temperature of 35°C in mid-summer, the gap is estimated to reach more than 90°C. In that case, the temperature of chips in the graphics LSI could exceed 100°C.

Jesus Christ... now, that just... sucks.

I have yet to see any GPU on any of the computers I've had go over 90°C.

Couple of things - the lowered airflow is partially due to the fact that the 360 uses 60mm fans, while most desktops use 80mm fans. The other half is also speed.

Secondly, its not degrees Centigrade. Its just C.

Thirdly, HOLY $%# The heatsink is that hot?!?!  100C is pretty much assured death for silicon.

Fourthly, if you have components in your PCs reaching 90C, you really, really, really need to look into some new cooling solutions.

"Suck on it" -vgchartz mod

Good god,

No wonder MS doesn't want people to know the details. After seeing this I seriously have to doubt whether they even did any quality testing or if they did all of those people should be fired. Those results are off the charts and should of been HUGE red flags to them that a problem was brewing (no pun intended). You simply cannot expect electronics to function properly at those temperatures for any reasonable length of time.

To Each Man, Responsibility
fazz said:

In only five minutes since we started playing the game, the temperature of the heat sink on the graphics LSI rose to 70°C. The thermal gradient was about 10°C/min.

In 15 minutes, the microprocessor heat sink temperature stabilized at 58°C, but the heat sink on the graphics LSI rose to 80°C, 57°C above the room temperature.

Assuming room temperature of 35°C in mid-summer, the gap is estimated to reach more than 90°C. In that case, the temperature of chips in the graphics LSI could exceed 100°C.

I have yet to see any GPU on any of the computers I've had go over 90°C.

90?

My Radeon is 17% overclocked (yeah, not that high, but Radeons aren't that great for OCing) and it never even attempts to reach 80°C.

Wow ....Microsoft sure has shot themselves on the foot with this .

I wont buy one until a redesigned unit comes out .I dont want to be sending for repair my console time after time and once the 3 year warranty wears off having a pretty paperweight and its games useful coasters ...

Around the Network
leo-j said:
soccerdrew17 said:
gebx said:
LOL

Microsoft should take the marketing strategies as Sony and market the 360 not only has a gaming system but a coffee brewer/bacon griller/small apartment heater.

seriously man. why is the ps3 the system thats called the grill anyways? its the 360 that barbeque stuff.

is it me or is it funny that any japanese related company would look at the 360?

Ywa why is the ps3 called a grill?

erm it's called a grill because it looks like a grill.

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=george%20foreman%20grill&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Great, MS have re-invented the Microwave.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

If they get that hot maybe they could catch fire and burn down your house. That would be good pr.

You all do realise that the X360 was released almost 2 years ago, and the facts haven't changed since then? or am I missing something?

I just don't understand why people are responding as if the 360 has yet to be released, or only recently released, thats how i read the responses anyways

wangfoo said:
fazz said:

I have yet to see any GPU on any of the computers I've had go over 90°C.

Couple of things - the lowered airflow is partially due to the fact that the 360 uses 60mm fans, while most desktops use 80mm fans. The other half is also speed.

Secondly, its not degrees Centigrade. Its just C.

Thirdly, HOLY $%# The heatsink is that hot?!?!  100C is pretty much assured death for silicon.

Fourthly, if you have components in your PCs reaching 90C, you really, really, really need to look into some new cooling solutions.

I thought that 360 had bigger fan than a normal desktop. But i'm propably wrong in that one. But, i would stick to that "secondly", you're right, it's not degrees centigrade, it's degrees Celsius. So using plain "C" is not correct. If you would be using Kelvins, then you should use plain "K".

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.